Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 81 of 91
28 January 2014 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
January is almost over and it's been a busy week. I've been reading a bit in my book
but that's the only studying i have been doing this month.

I will soon know when I can start with my SFI. I hope I can start next week but we'll
see. I spoke Swedish to the guy that had to register me for SFI and he was surprised at
my level of Swedish and said that I had a great vocabulary (Thank you Memrise) and if I
at any point felt that SFI was too easy for me I could do the exam right away and start
with Svenska Andra Språk (SAS) at Karlstad University. That would be absolutely amazing
:)

My listening skills have drastically improved the last 2 months. A while back I still
had quite some problems with understanding everything people said. But it's become
easier know and I understand almost everything now. I'm getting more and more
comfortable with my level of speaking as well but it's still not at the level I want it
to be.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6702 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 82 of 91
28 January 2014 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Is SFI necessary before SAS regardless of your level? I mean, if had decent skills in a language, I'd be surprised if I still had to do the basic test (not that it should pose any problems).

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 83 of 91
28 January 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I'm not quite sure. I think as a foreigner you first need to finish Svenska För
Invandrare and then you can move on to SAS. I'm going to fly through my SFI studies as
soon as possible. I have a friend who's studying to become a Swedish teacher so I got all
the help I could possibly need :)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 84 of 91
31 January 2014 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Kez wrote:
[…] if I at any point felt that SFI was too easy for me I could do the exam right away and start
with Svenska Andra Språk (SAS) at Karlstad University. That would be absolutely amazing :) […]

That sounds fantastic!
I really hope you can move on quickly to SAS: I can’t imagine how boring even kurs D must be at your level, having improved so much in the past few months. Good luck!

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 85 of 91
05 February 2014 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
So I had my first SFI class yesterday and it was an interesting experience. I was told
to go to classroom 411 and so I did. When the teacher started talking I instantly
noticed that she was talking very slow and with very easy words. Then we had to sit in
a circle (with around 12 people) and we had to introduce ourselves.. in the most easy
way possible. It started with everyone having to say: Jag heter..... vad heter du? I
was kind of laughing in my head until I noticed that everyone was seriously struggling
with it.. That was the moment I noticed I was either in the wrong class or this was way
too easy for me.

I then started talking Swedish with the teacher explaining that this was way too easy
for me. She instantly said she was going to move me to the higher level but that they
send me to the class because it was my first SFI class ever. So during the break I got
moved to the SFI-D class. It was a great class! I was kind of scared that it was going
to be too easy again but when I came in everybody was talking Swedish and the lessons
was very interesting. It was a shame that I was only there for half a lesson but the
teacher read a text about Samer for around 10 minutes. We were only allowed to listen
and then we had to talk about the text and ask questions to each other.

I've got some interesting homework and I've got an account on a website with lots of
great resources which I'll be able to share on my log.

Hej då!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6702 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 86 of 91
05 February 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
I thought you'd find SFI easy! Hopefully this SFI-D works fine.

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 87 of 91
24 April 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Hey forum!

It's been a long time since my last post but I found some time now.

The first great thing that has happened is that I found job! I now work as a web
designer for a company in Stockholm. I work at home in Karlstad so it's absolutely
perfect!

I'm also done with my SFI. I've only been to the class 4 times and I got to do my exam
and I actually got highest grade (A) on all parts (Reading A, Reading B, Writing,
Speaking and Listening.) I'm now going to register myself for SAS and continue
studying.

Swedish is going absolutely great for me and I don't speak any other language than
Swedish in my life at the moment. I'm still improving every day but it's not really
studying anymore. I'm already at the level that I can have business conversations with
clients on the phone, which is something I even found annoying doing using Dutch. So I
can say that I'm pretty satisfied with my level.

I would be glad to set up a Skype conversation with some other Swedish students of the
forum soon, anyone interested?

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 88 of 91
24 April 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Hej Kez! Nice to hear from you again.

Good for you about your new job and well done about the “A” in SFI!

Is it fair to say that self-studying is sufficient for well-motivated learners and that classes are basically optional up to about CEFR B1+ (which is more or less what SFI D should be equivalent to)? In other words, can we all hope to achieve that level of proficiency without attending a school or do you think the real key to your success was living in country with a native-speaking partner?

Keep us posted on the SAS front. I’m curious to better understand what SAS courses entail. As far as I know, but I may be mistaken, it’s all about catching up with your all-round education in Swedish as if you were attending high-school there again. Have I got it right?

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version