Brazil
Joined 4542 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 9 of 25
12 January 2013 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Ah, the winds of progress!

I finally started to study German, my focus for while. I'm very happy with the grammar I bought when I was travelling. Bookaholic as I am, bought twenty books, six or seven are learning material, such an old oxford Russian-English dictionary, a wonderful German-Portuguese one for university German students and translators, and an old Russian course focusing on reading and translation.

By now I have already done 6 lessons of the Klipp und Klar, today I'll finally study the lesson covering the trenbare Verben, the separable verbs. It always bothered me the fact that in the brief German course I took at the uni the teacher only taught us one of them in four months.

As for Russian, I'll see if I study the first lesson of the course today and tell how I like it.

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 25
12 January 2013 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Isabliss_27 wrote:
It always bothered me the fact that in the brief German course I took at the uni the teacher only taught us one of them in four months.

classroom study is always slower, isn't it? I'm pacing myself to high school French books. I'm doing year 3/4 now. What would take a teacher a whole year to cover in class, takes me about three months (of course it takes longer if I start doing something else instead, which is what usually happens :p).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5858 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 11 of 25
12 January 2013 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:

classroom study is always slower, isn't it? I'm pacing myself to high school French books. I'm doing year 3/4 now. What would take a teacher a whole year to cover in class, takes me about three months (of course it takes longer if I start doing something else instead, which is what usually happens :p).

I think it depends. Of course, if you want to pace yourself, a classroom is not the best choice. But there's no comparison between one semester or two in college and the systematic approach of a language school.

I took 7 years of French and 3+1 of English in school, and I know how frustrating it was at times. That has nothing to do with my (also long) experience with language learning schools, which has been very rewarding.

@ Isabelle: I apologise for replying to another member in your thread, but I believe it was on-topic.

Edited by Luso on 12 January 2013 at 9:43pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 12 of 25
13 January 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
I think it depends. Of course, if you want to pace yourself, a classroom is not the best choice. But there's no comparison between one semester or two in college and the systematic approach of a language school.

I meant to say that I'm using foreign language school books for French, but I'm studying completely on my own. I can pace myself better with high school foreign language materials than I can with materials for adult learners. I have to be careful because the material is geared for young learners, but the grammar is still the same. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with university-level classes.

Edited by Sunja on 13 January 2013 at 2:37pm

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4419 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 13 of 25
13 January 2013 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
As a fellow bookaholic, I'm so envious of the interesting books you mentioned. I was surprised to hear your teacher spent so little time on the separable verbs. They are really very useful.

Have a great week!

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4542 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 

Message 14 of 25
18 January 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
@Luso No need to apologize. :)

@BAnna
The teacher *had* to slow things down a lot. Many people had never tried to learn another language before and the process was very difficult to them. Another portion of them showed up in the class as they liked, so they missed valuable explanation and got themselves lost. When I realized it would be the same in Basic II classes I didn't even sign up for it.

Yes, classroom study *is* slower, but for competitive students it's great to keep them motivated.

======

Russian
I did the first lesson of the "Reading and Translating Comtemporary Russian". After the grammar section of each lesson, there are some exercises, which consist of reading a passage out loud and then translating it and writing the original down. There are also exercises to match pairs of words. The vocab in general is related to science and humanities.
The text in lesson one is very simple, with sentences like "aтом сложный? Нет, атом не сложный." They gradually grow and by the fifth lesson the sentences are much more elaborated.

For me the bad thing is that the vocab is presented in the beginning of the lesson and I have to go there every time I meet unknown words. I prefer parallel texts but in this case they're meaningless, since the purpose of the book is for the student to translate. Well, I can live with that.   

I watched The Irony of Fate (Ирония судьбы). Very, very funny film. I totally recomend it. Although I still don't have a good vocab, I could recognize lots of words.

Time spent: 2,1 hours

German
I've done Klipp und Klar up to lesson 9.
Untill now I don't have much problem understanding grammar, it's just the amount of vocab to absorb.
This time I tried something different: When I meet a new word I look up its meaning and write it down in the book. After I finish the lesson and its correction I pick up some sentences with the vocab and write them down in a paper, some time later I put them in anki. Along with the color system (blue for masculine, red for feminine, green for neuter and purple for the verb I want to remember the meaning) I got better results than isolated words.

Time spent: 9,4 hours

English
I'm just working on reading and watching TV series and films. No proper study done.

Time spent: 10,2 hours

=====

Total time spent: 21,7 hours.

=====

Edited by Isabliss_27 on 18 January 2013 at 4:32pm

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4419 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 15 of 25
20 January 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Thanks so much for reminding me about Klipp & Klar. I found my copy from a while back and am reviewing stuff that continues to be challenging. I also found out there is a more advanced Klipp & Klar for C level, I think. I'm not quite ready for that at this point, but it's nice to know it's there when we do become ready for it.

Your description of your class rings true with my experience. Motivation is a huge factor. It also made me think of Goldilocks: mostly things are too hard or too soft, but rarely are they "just right". Even when they are, you might be making some bears mad at you!

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4542 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 

Message 16 of 25
20 March 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
I posted at Lang-8 and Italki my first text in German! :D

Quote:
Original text
Hans und Sarah Kellerman sind veheiratet. Sie kommen beide aus Köln und wohnen jetzt in
Berlin. Hans ist Lehrer, er arbeitet in Universität. Sarah ist Schriftstellerin, sie
arbeitet nach Hause. Heute abend Sarah wilt spazieren gehen, aber sie kannt nicht
finden Ihre grüne Jacke.

,,Hans, komm du her! Weißt du wo meine grüne Jacke ist?"
,,Ja, sie ist auf den Tisch, in das Wohnzimmer."
,,Bringst du sie mir bitte."
(Hans gehst zu Wohnzimmer und kommst mit die Jacke zurück)
,,Gehst du spazieren? Es ist sehr spät, Sarah."
,,Wie spät ist es?"
,,Viertel vor zehn."
,,Es ist nicht so spät für mich. So, kommst du mit?"
,,Ja... ich komme."

Quote:
Correction
Hans und Sarah Kellerman sind veheiratet. Sie stammen beide aus Köln und wohnen jetzt
in Berlin. Hans ist Professor. Er arbeitet an der Universität. Sarah ist
Schriftstellerin. Sie arbeitet nach Hause. Heute abend Sarah wilt spazieren gehen, aber
sie kannt Ihre grüne Jacke nicht finden.

,,Hans, kommst du bitte mal her! Weißt du vielleicht wo meine grüne Jacke ist?”
,,Ja, sie liegt auf dem Tisch, im Wohnzimmer.“ (or: ... auf dem Wohnzimmertisch)
,,Bringst du sie mir bitte?‘‘
(Hans geht ins Wohnzimmer und kommt mit der Jacke zurück)
,,Gehst du spazieren? Es ist schon sehr spät, Sarah.‘‘
,,Wie spät ist es?‘‘
,,Viertel vor Zehn.‘‘
,, Es ist nicht so spät für mich. Was ist, kommst du mit?‘‘
,,Ja.. Ich komme auch.‘‘

Here's a useful comment a user gave me:

Quote:
Ronny wrote:

"arbeitet an der Universität" : Er unterrichtet und forscht dort.

"arbeitet in der Universität" : Er hat mit dem Universitätsbetrieb nichts zu tun.
Vielleicht ist er Hausmeister oder Reinigungskraft.

Wenn jemand an der Universität unterrichtet, darfst Du nicht "Lehrer" sagen, denn das
ist unhöflich.

Du kannst "Dozent" sagen (das ist jemand, der auf der Uni oder im Bereich der
Erwachsenenbildung unterrichtet), oder "Professor" (das ist jemand, der auf der
Universität einen eigenen Lehrstuhl hat).

Aufpassen: Jemand, der auf einem Gymnasium unterrichtet, wird in Deutschland "Lehrer"
genannt, in Österreich ist aber der Umgangssprache "Professor" üblich (wie im
Portugiesischen).

----------------

Well, it's been quite a long time, and a lot of good things happened! I'm about to move
on to another city, where I was accepted in another University. If my uni schedule
turns out as I expect, I'll have French, English and Latin classes.

As for German, soon I'll have established a proper studying routine, for while I'm just
doing some on and off sessions with Teach Yourself.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version