2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 17 of 25
20 March 2013 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Isabliss_27 wrote:

Quote:
Correction
Hans und Sarah Kellerman sind veheiratet. Sie stammen beide aus Köln und wohnen jetzt
in Berlin. Hans ist Professor. Er arbeitet an der Universität. Sarah ist
Schriftstellerin. Sie arbeitet zu Hause. Heute abend will Sarah spazieren gehen, aber sie kann ihre grüne Jacke nicht finden.

,,Hans, kommst du bitte mal her! Weißt du vielleicht, wo meine grüne Jacke ist?”
,,Ja, sie liegt auf dem Tisch, im Wohnzimmer.“ (or: ... auf dem Wohnzimmertisch)
,,Bringst du sie mir bitte?‘‘
(Hans geht ins Wohnzimmer und kommt mit der Jacke zurück)
,,Gehst du spazieren? Es ist schon sehr spät, Sarah.‘‘
,,Wie spät ist es?‘‘
,,Viertel vor zehn.‘‘
,, Das ist nicht so spät (or: zu spät) für mich. Was ist, kommst du mit?‘‘
,,Ja.. Ich komme auch.‘‘

I corrected the corrected version again. There were still some mistakes. "Können" and "wollen" are irregular verbs (so-called preterite-present verbs), which are conjugated differently from the regular present conjugation. Other verbs belonging to this group are "müssen", "wissen", "sollen", "mögen", and "werden". You should learn their conjugation paradigms well, as these are very frequent verbs.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 18 of 25
20 March 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Isabliss_27 wrote:

Here's a useful comment a user gave me:

[QUOTE] Ronny wrote:

"arbeitet an der Universität" : Er unterrichtet und forscht dort.

"arbeitet in der Universität" : Er hat mit dem Universitätsbetrieb nichts zu tun.
Vielleicht ist er Hausmeister oder Reinigungskraft.

Wenn jemand an der Universität unterrichtet, darfst Du nicht "Lehrer" sagen, denn das
ist unhöflich.

Du kannst "Dozent" sagen (das ist jemand, der auf der Uni oder im Bereich der
Erwachsenenbildung unterrichtet), oder "Professor" (das ist jemand, der auf der
Universität einen eigenen Lehrstuhl hat).

Aufpassen: Jemand, der auf einem Gymnasium unterrichtet, wird in Deutschland "Lehrer"
genannt, in Österreich ist aber der Umgangssprache "Professor" üblich (wie im
Portugiesischen).

This is really interesting. I haven't been a part of university life in a long time and I've forgotten my manners ;) I understand that if you have an academic title "Prof, Dr." it's improper to expect anything less. What to do if you don't know somebody's title? How do you address docents? Some people don't have a position, they're just lecturing there, part-time. (I guess it's like a dentist without a Doktor-Titel.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4419 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 19 of 25
20 March 2013 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Just here to say welcome back Isabliss! Interesting info you shared with us.

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4542 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 20 of 25
21 July 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Well, it's been quite a while since I posted anything for the last time. It wasn't
procrastination, really, but a lot of things happened and I got very upset. As a
result, along these past months I felt very down and it reflected on my language
studies (actually, not all the languages. I'll tell why).

The nice stuff: I moved in to another city, and now I study Translation. :D
In this semester, which is almost over, I took five subjects being three of them
language related. I was taking Latin 1, along with an English subject that focused on
written text comprehension and the French one that involved oral and written practice.

Deutsch
I picked up my German where I left and as a start I took the Deutsche Welle's Placement
Test, just to see how much I could still remember. Happily, I scored 85% of the A1.
After the test I know exactly the points I need to focus from now on. My short goal in
German is finish the DW Deutsch Interaktiv (and use other materials as support). They
claim that one can reach B1 with this course, and until now it seems very nice, with
oral practice and comprehension. In the moment I have finished A1.1.

Français
I swear I started the semester looking forward to this class, but along the weeks the
professor ruined any will I had to learn French. She came up with this "new" method of
teaching the subject, and used us, poor students of Translation, as guinea pigs in her
research x.x
I won't extend myself here, otherwise I'll start ranting, but let's just say everybody
in that class disapproved her, and her lack of organization and clarity. On top of
that, I realized she held some grudge against me. Oh yeah, the class of dreams...
Thinking positively, I worked out my speaking and learned the Imparfait. At least next
week I'll be free from this subject.
A good proof that I could absorb something is that when my boyfriend was watching an
8min video from Le Monde, I understood many things, enough to say what they were
talking about without any confusion.
Result: I'll need some time away from any French learning after thoses classes and that
super dynamic method of teaching. Yes, I'll get back to French, just not anytime soon.      

Latin
The addition in this year's TAC! Latin 1 was a mandatory subject, and I couldn't be
happier. Although it was just on my hit list and the class was pure morphosyntax
analysis, Latin helped me understand better the matters of declension and cases in
general. Also, now I know the origin of some words in Portuguese, how they changed
throughout the centuries and how they look like in the others romance languages.
No plans of taking Latin 2 next semester, but I'll study it on and off.

English
The subject consisted mainly of written comprehension and grammar exercises, and it
didn't add much. I reviewed grammar points and even got to speak a little bit every
class, which was good since I don't practice speaking.
I've changed my plans for English. No TOEFL, now I'll go for CAE. I've took some
evaluation tests and the result in all of them was that I’m able to take it. There's a
lot to cover, and I'm fully aware of my lack of practice and weaknesses, but nothing
like dedication and hard work to take my English to higher levels.   
Outside classroom, I kept my usual activities, TV series and some reading. I abandoned
subtitles when watching most of the series, a habit that proved itself very effective.
It's amazing how I can understand 90% of what is said in Game of Thrones. When I began
watching it back in 2011, I couldn't achieve that much. British English was always more
complicated to me, but after I started watching Doctor Who and others from UK, the
comprehension of the language boosted up.   

Russian
I'll get back to it soon, although I've been thinking if it wouldn't be better if I
waited until my German was a bit better, just not to mix everything up and get too
overwhelmed, since both languages together in basic levels can give quite a headache,
specially Russian.

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4542 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 

Message 21 of 25
29 July 2013 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
A very inconvenient and strong flu made me stay away from any activity these past few
days... anyway, I recently found in a second hand bookstore some goodies for a
reasonably good price: Assimil "O alemão sem esforço", the Portuguese edition of the
German without toil from the 60s; The New Penguin Russian Course; Dicionário Prático
Russo-Português, an AWESOME old dictionary bringing 100 pages of morphological tables
of grammar and explanations.
Soon, I'll also buy Nina Potapova's Breve manual de língua russa to use along the other
materials.

In an earlier post I mentioned having doubts whether I'd continue with Russian, and
I've decided to do it at least for 2 weekly hours, given that I want to make Russian a
language I'll work with. This way I think I won't mix German and Russian too much.

============

Deutsch
I've posted another entry in Lang-8, using as theme the final exercise of Lektion 6
Teil 3 of Deutsch Interaktiv.

Quote:
Original
Meine lieblingsfächer

Ich interessiere mich für viele Fächer, und ich mag am liebsten Sprachen. Meine
lieblingsfächer sind Gechichte, Englisch und Literatur. I mag nicht Mathematik, Physik
und noch am wenigsten Chemie. Ich möchte später mit Spracher arbeiten.

Quote:
Correction
Meine Lieblingsfächer

Ich interessiere mich für viele Fächer, und ich mag am liebsten Sprachen. Meine
Lieblingsfächer sind Geschichte, Englisch und Literatur. Mathematik und Physik mag ich
gar nicht, aber am aller wenigsten mag ich Chemie. Ich möchte später als Dolmetscher
arbeiten.

I wanted to write "Sprachen" instead, but due to the typo I learned what "Interpreter"
means, which also fits the situation.

Edited by Isabliss_27 on 29 July 2013 at 1:33am

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4542 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 

Message 22 of 25
31 October 2013 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Alright, here goes an overview of my linguistic adventure in these past three months:

In the beginning of August's 6WC I went to a language school to take a placement test
for German, and to my surprise, the teacher - a native German guy - complimented my
German, he said that I had a good command for someone who has never practiced
conversation in a German course. I was put at A2, however, some students gave up and
they discontinued the A2 class, so I kept studying alone. :(

In the moment, I'm starting Unit 16 of Colloquial German. After I have finished it, I'm
thinking about go through TY just to acquire new vocab and listen to dialogues.

Now my grasp of German endings is way better, it's very rewarding to see the progress
I've made through this year's TAC, and know that I'll reach my initial goal by the end
of the year: get to at least A2 in German.

Level up! ;D

My Russian didn't level up, unfortunately. At least not so quickly as German, but I'm
trying to keep a consistent 2-3h per week study time.

I'll soon make a post about the Russian materials I'm using.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 23 of 25
02 November 2013 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
It looks like you've made some good progress!

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4542 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 

Message 24 of 25
14 November 2013 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Recently I've been glancing through FSI German Programmed Introduction, and did the
first Unit to try it out. Up to the moment it seems to be a good complementary
material, along with DLI German Headstart2. I didn't want to stick only with
Colloquial, and the Headstart course is great, since it's actually teaching me
different manners of expressing myself in a way nor Colloquial or materials I've used
before have done. I also want to try Deutsch.info
Deutsch.info out. It's still a beta version, but from
what I've tried so far I'll keep it as a suplementary resource. It provides us with
courses up to B1, each one with tematic sections. The media library and forum are not
available yet.

Just yesterday I started watching Extr@ on YT to get used to a more realistic German
talk. Despite my still poor vocabulary, I managed to understand a lot and really enjoy
the show. ,,Total cool!'' ;D

-------x--------

Too little Russian, but I have made almost 100hrs of German this year. Yay!

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version