Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4324 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 25 of 59
05 January 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
For the next four days I will concentrate on Spanish and English and will just repeat
some Czech vocabulary. However, yesterday I still found the time to translate one of the
short stories from Pražké legendy into German ("Dům u zlaté studny").

Edited by nuriayasmin70 on 05 January 2013 at 12:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4812 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 26 of 59
07 January 2013 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
A really nice log, you seem to be making great progress. May I post corrections and
notes to your writing? From what I've read, you are doing really well, everything is
understandable (even though a few constructions probably came from English :-) )

nuriayasmin70 wrote:

Takže, Karel Gott hostí radio prográm který se jmenuje Zpátky si dám tenhle film
a se může to poslouchat každý neděle na radio Praha.
Dneska jsem poslouchala vysilání 12. ledna 2012, které Karel věnoval Elvise Preslovi,
protože Elvis narodil v 8. lednu. Mám ráda také hudbu Elvisa. Karel vyprevěl hodně o
kariére Elvis a se hral písně Elvise. Někdy Elvis zpíval a někdy Karel zpíval. Když
Karel zpíval anglicky "Devil in disguise" a "Love letter", myslela jsem nejdřív, že byl
Elvis, ale po kratké době, všiml jsem si, že byl Karel, protože má velmi roztomilý
přízvuk když zpíva anglicky. Ale jeho hlas je velmi podobný jako hlas Elvise v 70.
letech. To vysiláni libílo se mi, protože rozuměla jsem všecho docela dobře. Důvod za
to je, že vím hodně o životě Elvise a navíc rozumím Karla Gotta lépe než jiné lidé,
protože poslouchám jeho hudbu tak často a myslím také, že mluví moc zřetelný.

1."Karel hostí program" would be Karel uvádí pořad. He is there as a moderator, he is
not a host in his house. And usually the Czech word program means channel. A programme
(not sure whether this is English spelling, sorry if not) is usually called pořad.

Ideal ending of the sentence ("which you can listen to on Sundays") would be something
like "který si můžete poslechnout každou neděli" but there are more alternatives
possible. But vast majority would be with active verb, in my opinion. The passive
structure you used would mean that the radio program listens to itself and is a bit too
complicated. A passive structure of the meaning could be like "a je k poslechu každou
neděli". The most normal and not so formal would be "a dávají ho každou neděli" in my
opinion.

2."Dnes jsem poslouchala vysílání Z 12.ledna 2012".

3.Elvisovi Presleymu would be the correct form. But declinations of foreign names are a
very tricky thing in Czech.

Firstly, even many Czechs declinate some names incorrectly. Secondly, some, including
myself, sometimes declinate them incorectly (from the point of view of the Czech
grammar and the spelling) on purpose because the correct forms sound just horrible,
awful and stupid when you take into account the correct pronunciation of the name. For
exemple, correctly, you give something Julesovi Verneovi [Žilesovi Verneovi]. But what
sounds natural to me is [Žilu Vernovi] or to declinate only the surname [Žil Vernovi],
which unlike the first option would allow me to easily write it Jules Vernovi.

And what adds more complications to foreign name treatment are the female surnames. Officially, all the media should add to any female name the -ová ending. So there are
horrible monsters like Angelina Jolieová, Agatha Christieová etc. That is horrible. A
lot of people, including me, believe that the name should be kept in the original form,
so that the owner of the name would recognize it, if it ever came to it. And second
trouble, official Czech rules mutilate this way even names, which are already
"femalized" in their own language, like Greek or Russian names. So after this rule
application, the Russian women have ending -ovová.

Sorry if this is too complicated now, I don't want to confuse you, just thought you
might find it interesting and it might explain some weird things you will read and hear
in Czech.

4. Elvis SE narodil 8.lednA.

5. "Také mám ráda hudbu Elvisa". it would be Elvise or Elvisovu hudbu. But most Czech
people would say "Taky mám ráda Elvise". Noone expects you to love the person without
loving the music :-)

6.Karel hodně vyprávěl o Elvisově kariéře a hrál jeho písně. Not sure how far are you
in grammar. But in Czech, it sounds usually more natural to use the adjective than the
substantive in dative.

7. myslela jsem, že TO byl Elvis, ale po nějaké době jsem si všimla, že TO byl Karel.
Everyone would understand you without the "to". But it is used very often in Czech in
similar structures.

8. rozumím Karlu (or Karlovi) Gottovi. mluví zřetelně (should be the adverb instead of
adjective. I guess this could be tricky for you since German usually uses the same word
for both adjective and adverb, doesn't it?

Other than that, there are some word order mistakes which will get fixed in time given
enough input I believe.

Please, tell me if I am annoying with such details, I don't want to spoil any piece of
the enjoyment for you.

And you are really good. I'm looking forward to reading more from you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4324 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 

Message 27 of 59
08 January 2013 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
@Cavesa: Thank you very very much on spendng so much time on my text. Your remarks and explanations are very helpful. Declinating names is really a bit of a nightmare. The difference between adjectives and adverbs is not really a problem, it's just a matter of paying attention when I write. Same with reflexive verbs. Hope that will improve with time. Well, and I'm proud to say that I managed to book an apartment in Lipno nad Vltavou for a week in July and exchanged emails with the owner exclusively in Czech :-).

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4812 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 28 of 59
08 January 2013 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
You are welcome. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I take my role of Guardian
Angel quite seriously, it is a kind of meta-TAC challenge for me :-)

Will this July be your first visit to the Czech Republic?

And you really are awesome :-)

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4324 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 

Message 29 of 59
09 January 2013 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
I see that you're taking your role very seriously and I'm very thankful for it!

It's actually the first time I'm going to spend a holiday in Czech Republic. I've been to Praha, Plseň, Karlovy Vary and Liberec for short visits which always involved a concert of Karel Gott and once one of Helena Vondráčková ;-).

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4812 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 30 of 59
09 January 2013 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Those wouldn't be my choices for a concert but glad if you enjoyed them :-)

But you seem to have seen quite a lot of the Czech Rep. already :-)

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4324 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 

Message 31 of 59
13 January 2013 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
I did study Czech for the last 4 days but not as much as I had hoped to because I've been working night shifts and had to teach several German classes when I was at home. However, I had two Skype lessons and translated two more stories from Pražké legendy into German, adding unknown vocabulary to my ANKI deck. I also translated the text about Czech Christmas habits which Majka provided in our team blog into German and am almost up-to-date with my reviews of ANKI and Memrise vocabulary, so things could be worse. However, I'm sorry I didn't find the time to write a Czech notebook entry on italki and didn't listen to any radio program, either.

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4324 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 

Message 32 of 59
26 January 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
January obviously hasn't been the best month for me but it's changing now. I registered
for the 6WC and decided that I will almost exclusively study Czech during those 6
weeks. I intend to log at least 100 hours. Last time I stopped at 27 hours because I
was too busy with other things. This won't happen again.

I bought two new books. One is called "Czech verbs - A practical guide with more than
10,000 verbs" (by Victor Manuel Martínez Ramiraz). Although I can find most information
on the internet, too, I prefer to have books where I can look something up. I'm a bit
old-fashioned concerning that.

The second book I bought is called "Slavische Interkomprehension". It compares Bosnian,
Croatian, Serbian, Polish, Czech, Ukrainian and Russian and aims to teach the reader
how to understand written texts in a Slavic language he has not studied yet. It looks
very interesting and lists about 500 words/expressions for each languages to show the
similarities and differences. I just find it a pity that Slovak isn't included.

I'm up-to-date with my vocabulary, wrote two italki notebook entries, translated two
more stories from "Pražské legendy" and listened to the five stories I've read and
translated so far several times plus read them aloud.

Edited by nuriayasmin70 on 01 February 2013 at 3:03am

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version