Tetraglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4829 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Italian
Studies: German, Czech

Message 57 of 59
10 July 2013 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
And is almost the same thing with the words starting with 'I'...

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4812 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 58 of 59
10 July 2013 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
But we've got a lot of ours starting with K, while for example French has few. But I think you overestimate the importance of this. You cannot take quite any French/Spanish word, give it another ending and pronunciation, and expect a Czech word to come out. There is just often a totally different word with that meaning.

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4324 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 59 of 59
03 August 2013 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
If it were up to me, there would be a continuous 6 Week Challenge. It always gives me a fresh boost. I registered with Czech once again and would like to give it a certain priority. But I'm aiming for a different approach. I mean, I've worked through two textbooks and know the basic grammar, so it's really time to activate the language. I need to improve my listening comprehension and my communication skills - while continuously enhancing my vocabulary.

As we all know, language learning should be fun, so I'm going to spoil myself by watching all TV shows and interviews with Karel Gott I can get hold of. Today I watched the first part of the show for his 70th birthday (not for the first time, of course), switched on the subtitles option and was actually a bit surprised when I saw that I recognize about 75% of the words although I don't always understand them at once and that quickly.

And I've had my first conversational Skype lesson almost entirely in Czech. I'm still in high spirits but also feel quite exhausted. It's a real achievement for me. I would have never thought I'd be able to hold a conversation in Czech for 60 minutes but funnily it wasn't even that difficult. Sure, it was my first lesson with that teacher, so we just talked about ourselves and languages learning and traveling, nothing special, but it nevertheless means a lot to me.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version