forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 9 of 60
04 January 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Hi, and Happy New TAC!

Just this once I'll cross-post here a reply to your first message at my log. No particular reason, really, it's just it'll look less like I am repeating myself if I spread similar stuff across the whole forum, and this way I also skip coming up with a different message here ;)

Dagane wrote:
I also think your English is great, so you must actually know quite a bit about learning foreign languages. Occasionally, I pick up English words from your posts by the way ;)

Thanks a lot for the compliment. I'm a bit worried about your picking up vocabulary from my posts, though, because that probably means I'm not achieving my goal of posting less in the forum ;)

However, please let me clarify a couple of things about what I do and don't know about learning foreign languages, just so I don't unintentionally mislead you .

First, it has nothing to do with my English being passable or good -- my English hasn't improved significantly since I started to ponder and philosophize about methods and such, because except for a few words and expressions I acquired later, I had 'learned it' before I even thought about that for the first time. Not even becoming a certified English teacher made me improve my English, and my certification certainly didn't help me to 'know' how to learn other languages more efficiently.

The only way my English level is related to my knowledge about SLA is through introspection, analyzing why something I did worked or didn't work in the end, and play with mental 'what if' scenarios. In that sense, how good my SLA knowledge is needs to be put to test by learning some other language in real life.

One way or another, I can tell you some things for sure in advance:

my English (a language I can say I 'speak' without lying too much) became 'so good' because I polished it a lot through mere usage, and I brought it to an 'usable' state by studying a lot in the first place. So, no mystery. The only role SLA theories and practice play in the whole process is helping you to get your language to this usable level in the shortest possible time.

About polishing through usage, though, I'm afraid that it obeys an internal drive not everybody has, so it must be an acquired skill for many people. I mean, I tend to model my speech after some 'prestige' models, changing it accordingly if ever come across something that I 'would have said that a different way', and I've been doing it since I was 10 or so. Not everybody does so, however, and I've met dozens of immigrants that make the same mistakes over and over even after ten years, no matter how many times they hear natives say it 'the right way'. That's something every language learner should aim to avoid, but many fail to do.

WRT to your vocabulary learning, just two hints:
-It's been demonstrated that grouping vocabulary in thematic units is not particularly efficient for learning, and in turn it may end up with the learner mixing up terms. It is, however, very useful for other purposes (sorting stores stuff), so it's not something you must abandon, but something you may want to keep an eye on.
-Google search for vocabulary learning techniques commented at HTLAL

OK 'nuff said for now. Oh, not really (:

Quote:
In other circumstances I'll elaborate about our country's lacks regarding technical knowledge, let alone the brain drain we've started to suffer.

Please feel free to comment on that in my log if you want.

Quote:
As this is a language learning forum, I just wish you the best for your future plans. Hopefully, you'll still keep some room for the homeland within your heart - assuming that's fine...

It's fine to keep it, I guess, but I don't think I will ;)

OK, this time it's for real -- 'see' you around!
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 10 of 60
05 January 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Great log Dagane. You seem to have everything organized and under control. I am sure your goals will be achieved, and even more so!

Team Schnitzel has great members!

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4306 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 11 of 60
07 January 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
@mrwarper: I'll answer you in your own log.

renaissancemedi wrote:
Great log Dagane. You seem to have everything organized and under control. I am sure your goals will be achieved, and even more so!

Thanks! Don't be so sure, though. I'm not as meticolous as it seems! This first month is a test, so I can check my dedication.

German
I can't read!! It's a bit frustrating. I started to read Drei Männer im Schnee, but it's just beyond my ability, even though I recognise it's not the most difficult book in the world. My vocabulary and grammar aren't enough yet, so I guess I should increase my dedication to them first.

Apart from that, yesterday I had a familiar gathering which lasted all the day, so I couldn't study anything. If things don't change, I will be on the borderline of my goals by the end of the month. I'm not that worry about it, but I've still the eagerness of surpassing such goals.

Edited by Dagane on 07 January 2013 at 1:17pm

Dagane
Triglot
Joined 4306 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 

Message 12 of 60
11 January 2013 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
ENGLISH!!!

Last December I did a mock exam for the Cambridge's CAE (C1 level), and I got the results yesterday. I passed all the parts of the exam save for the speaking, because it wasn't tested. I'm happy with my results not only because I passed the exam, but because I got my best marks in both listening and reading. I almost failed the listening in my First exam (B2) last year, when I also got a low mark in reading (By the way, I'm always afraid and somehow ashamed of my listening). I wasn't happy with those parts, so I've worked on them seriously since then. Now that they are apparently my best skills, I'm proud of myself. BUT... I can't relax! Just keep improving!

German
Attending classes again after holidays. We are working on verbs in present tense. It's difficult but interesting the way German verbs use prepositions.

Dagane
Triglot
Joined 4306 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 

Message 13 of 60
12 January 2013 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Ich kann lesen nicht! Natürlich es ist schwierig ich habe meinen Texte korrekten wenn ich schreibe. Aber ich dachte dass ich kannte lesen leichter. Es ist nicht wahr. Nur eine Halbseite und ich bin schon müde. Ich offe einen Buch und ich kann ihm lesen nicht. Obwohl ich auch weiß dass ich brauche mehr Grammatik lernen für ich verstehe jeden Sätze. Also ich soll meinen Roman stoppen lessen jetzt. Anstatt soll ich mehr Grammatik studieren.

[EDIT] I know the text from above is extremely poorly written. Corrections are appreciated.

Edited by Dagane on 12 January 2013 at 9:23pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5856 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 14 of 60
12 January 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Dagane wrote:
I know the text from above is extremely poorly written. Corrections are appreciated.

I know that there's a lot of people more qualified to correct your text, so I'm not going to do it.

However, I'd like to say that it is not as poor as you say. In fact, most problems arise from word order, which is very important in German. Maybe you'd like to check the following items:
- Wortstellung im Satz
- Hauptsatz / Nebensatz
- Verb auf position 2 / Verb am Ende

Good luck.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 15 of 60
12 January 2013 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Hi Dagane,

this is a corrected version of your text. I simply rewrote it instead of highlighting every mistake. Please don't get discouraged. Writing in a new language is always hard in the beginning. I hope my corrections are useful to you!

Keep it up!

Quote:
Ich kann nicht lesen! Natürlich ist es schwierig. Ich lasse meine Texte korrigieren, wenn ich schreibe (Is that what you meant?), aber ich dachte, dass ich leichter lesen könnte. Es ist nicht wahr. Nur eine halbe Seite und ich bin schon müde. Ich öffne ein Buch und ich kann es nicht lesen. Obwohl ich auch weiß, dass ich mehr Grammatik lernen muss, um jeden Satz zu verstehen. Also werde ich jetzt aufhören, meinen Roman zu lesen. Statt dessen werde ich mehr Grammatik studieren.

Edited by Josquin on 12 January 2013 at 10:42pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Dagane
Triglot
Joined 4306 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 

Message 16 of 60
13 January 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
I didn't answer yesterday because I was very tired. Sorry.

Luso, thanks a lot. I've found useful links by just copying your suggestions on Google. I will spend today studying the word order. We haven't studied it at class because we're still with the verbs. But I have the willingness to go ahead.

Josquin, thanks for your thorough correction. Don't worry, I'm not discouraged. It was clear I had made many mistakes, because that kind of writing is still beyond everything what I've studied until now.

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version