Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 34 of 60
26 January 2013 at 10:05am | IP Logged 

You wrote in anoter thread

As for Spain, I don't think we deserve this, it's pretty unfair. I know what has been happening since 1975, but I'm still very infuriated. One year and a half ago I finished my degree and what could I do? I did it all well at the university while managing to improve some hobbies I like and having fun. And the response of my country is that the best option is going abroad. I'm now going abroad, though because I wanted to do so. If I hadn't, I don't know what I'd have done. By the way, our society is way too passive. I was part of the very first 15M, and we were so few. Where were everybody? Weren't they aware of the shrouded horizon?

I just wanted to say, same here. We are overeducated, dissapointed, passive rather than active, and very confused because we don't have all the facts. We are also being told to leave our country. We were also told that one working person in the family is the goal, and we should be happy. Not to mention all of the bad reputation and the slander, and the stupid stereotypes bordering racism one has to put up with. Anyway, just venting here.

I am not going to leave my country. All I can do is learn more languages to add to my degrees, because hope dies last and I still have a secret hope that one day I might find a worthwhile job again. While I wait I might as well learn something more, and languages is the one thing I really love.

Anyway, I hope you succeed in your future. Let's do some lanuage learning and hope for the best.

1 person has voted this message useful

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4306 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 35 of 60
26 January 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:

I am not going to leave my country. All I can do is learn more languages to add to my degrees, because hope dies last and I still have a secret hope that one day I might find a worthwhile job again. While I wait I might as well learn something more, and languages is the one thing I really love.

Anyway, I hope you succeed in your future. Let's do some lanuage learning and hope for the best.

Hi, reinaissancemedi. I can't imagine what Greeks are going through, despite our own current reality. I'm afraid I left my wrath free when I wrote that way. As you said, let's do some language learning, since this is not the place to develop a long conversation around such topic... because it'd be long, he, he.

But yes, you're right. The main treasure we have is our hope. I'm leaving because I'm young and I want to do things. It's not really a case of quitting of my country, though there aren't good prospectives here. Actually, I've been working here without being paid for a year, just because it's the only way to work and learn. There're less to do each month, so if I stay here I don't know if I'd have something to do a few months ahead.

Anyway, English is a beautiful language. I love it more each time, and now I appreciate things I never thought I could. It's a good purpose to study languages, no matter even if you're not able to use them in their national countries. And no matter if you ought to study them out of necessity either.
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 36 of 60
26 January 2013 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
I agree with everything you say. Follow your life where ever it takes you. I am married so leaving is not an option, but if you can succeed elsewhere by all means do it.
I agree about the English language. It is beautiful,   precise and versatlie. In fact, as you say, all languages are useful even if you never visit the countries. I would add, all languages are beautiful. Learning an extra language, just one, opens up so many doors, knowledge, beauty, understanding for other people. It's the best thing in the world.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 37 of 60
27 January 2013 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
It would be completely natural to feel bitterness when playing against a stacked deck, yet both of you are demonstrating your dignity and creative response to things as they are (not as we all wish they could be). I am truly honored to participate with you on this team ... and now to bring it back to languages:

“You live a new life for every new language you speak. If you know only one language, you live only once.” ‒Czech proverb

and something irreverent about English in particular, but written with love for his native language, by Stephen Fry:

“The English language is like London: proudly barbaric yet deeply civilised, too, common yet royal, vulgar yet processional, sacred yet profane. Each sentence we produce, whether we know it or not, is a mongrel mouthful of Chaucerian, Shakespearean, Miltonic, Johnsonian, Dickensian and American. Military, naval, legal, corporate, criminal, jazz, rap and ghetto discourses are mingled at every turn. The French language, like Paris, has attempted, through its Academy, to retain its purity, to fight the advancing tides of Franglais and international prefabrication. English, by comparison, is a shameless whore.”

Dagane
Triglot
Joined 4306 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 

Message 38 of 60
29 January 2013 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for your words, BAnna. I -probably we- try to improve in every aspect of my live despite the current situation, and try to enjoy in the meantime too. That includes language learning, of course.

Regarding English, I liked the quote, which was unknown to me, and it's probably true. It's an interesting point of discussion, since most strong European languages were 'gathered' and 'standarized' in late 1800's. I don't know what was the case of French, but in Spain regional varieties were somehow embedded into an standard after their words had been picking up from along the Peninsula. Meanwhile, regional languages began to be forgotten except for the biggest ones. Actually, both Catalan and Galician had their own renaissances then, though they weren't 'standarized' by then as far as I know. At any rate, I'm not an expert in the matter by no means, but I'm curious about such a linguistic process.

Once the offtopic is over :P, I must report my routine is the same so far. This is my last week attending English classes for the moment. I will still attend German ones the next. I expect to report my achievements of January next Friday or during the weekend, along with my February goals. I'm not sure how to undertake the learning in February, but I assume it would be the month with less workload of the year.

Dagane
Triglot
Joined 4306 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 

Message 39 of 60
31 January 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
RESULTS OF JANUARY

German 53,4%

Listening: 3/4 = 75%
Reading: 1,5/12 = 12,5%
Speaking: 0/1 = 0%
Vocabulary & grammar: 246/310 = 79,4%
Writing: 4/4 = 100%

English 107,4%

Listening: 842/930 = 90,5%
Reading: 398/310 = 128,4%
Vocabulary: 103/93 = 110,8%
Writing: 2/2 = 100%

Galician 46,8%

Grammar 1/2 = 50%
Reading 27/62 = 43,5%

SHORT ANALYSIS
I realise the results could have been so much better. However, I already knew there would be many hours of study which I hadn't intended to be recorded, such as regular classes and German grammar. So, for instance, I did spoke some German, but those conversations were in class time, so I didn't record them. Also, I wrote more English than that articles in here, so to speak.

Incidentally, there're areas where I didn't fulfill the goals, such as German vocabulary, so I know where to look at now.

If the results are satisfactory... Well, they're not bad, but there's room to improve.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 40 of 60
31 January 2013 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I should measure like that as well. It helps having a clear idea of what you have and haven't done.

By the way, I think that our English gets extra points just for being in this forum. :)

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version