Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 169 of 176
01 November 2013 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Wow,an embarrassingly large amount of time has passed since I last updated this log. I promise that I have been studying, even though I haven't been recording my progress here.

My Latin and Greek have both improved dramatically. I still love Greek, and now I can actually write and translate meaningful sentences, so I am feeling very proud of myself. Spanish is coming along, but I must confess that I need to get back into my Polish. The problem is that I have a lot of Latin, Greek, and Spanish homework to do, so this takes precedence over my Polish novels (loath as I am to admit it).

I wanted to write a proper update, but that will have to wait until this weekend. I have a great deal of studying to do, and I can't justify spending any more time on this site at the moment.

Valete!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 170 of 176
23 December 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Over the last few months, although I have not had the opportunity to update my log consistently, I have made
significant progress in Latin and Greek and a reasonable amount of progress in Spanish. Polish,
unfortunately, has suffered from some neglect - while homework ensures that I have contact with my other
languages, I can't say the same for Polish. Anyway, on to the updates!

Latin
I have never been so excited about my Latin studies before! I have been translating passages from Catullus,
Vergil, Horace, and Propertius and familiarizing myself with the vocabulary as I go. Already reading Latin
poetry has become significantly easier, and my vocabulary has expanded a lot.

After this semester, I am finally beginning to understand Latin poetry. I still have a ways to go, but now I have
the basic tools. I had never realized before the importance that meter can play in distinguishing case endings
and hence the meaning of the line. For instance, ā vs a is the difference between ablative and nominative; is
vs īs is the difference between genitive singular and accusative plural. Not to mention the way in which the
meter emphasizes certain syllables to facilitate understanding.

2013 has been a good year for Latin. All of my knowledge is starting to come together into a solid whole. I
feel like I could read almost anything in Latin, provided I had a good dictionary . . . and for this reason I have
made the decision to list Latin at "basic fluency" in my profile. :)

Ancient Greek
I have made a great deal of progress in this wonderful language! My textbook is Chase and Phillips' A New
Introduction to Greek
. We have covered up through Lesson 18, which means that I can decline most nouns
and adjectives and a smattering of pronouns . . . and that I know enough about the Greek conjugation system
to be seriously scared. But at last I can translate sentences and paragraphs, and after all, I suspect I will find
middle voice and the optative just as fascinating as the rules of accentuation. I am looking forward to
continuing my Greek studies in 2014.

Spanish
2013 started out very well for Spanish and, overall, I must say that I am pleased with my progress. I logged
hundreds of hours of listening, read 8 books and numerous short stories, poems, etc., and learned around
1,000 new words. I also ended up writing a lot this semester (homework, what can I say?). I had aimed at 12
books for the year, but 8 is acceptable, given that one of them was Cien Años de Soledad. My speaking
has also improved. All told, I am happy with this year's progress.

Polish
This is the only language in regard to which I truly feel like I have failed to meet my goals. I haven't done any
Polish over the last 3 months (or barely any). However, earlier in the year I read two books in Polish, learned
some new vocabulary, refreshed my old vocabulary, and did some Skypeing. So the year was not a total
loss. And looking back, I don't see how I could have changed things. Sometimes there is simply not enough
time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 171 of 176
23 December 2013 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
To all of my teammates - thank you for all of your awesome inspiration and support! I wish that I could go on
being your teammate in 2014, but I fear I will be an unreliable poster. For this reason I am going to do an
individual TAC. Please come visit me in my new log!

here

Edited by Amerykanka on 23 December 2013 at 10:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5895 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 172 of 176
23 December 2013 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Nice to hear from you Amerykanka! I'll certainly visit your new log.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 173 of 176
24 December 2013 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:
Sometimes there is simply not enough time.

So true.

I have really enjoyed your log this year, and look forward to what 2014 brings for you. Keep up your great work. It's cool to see someone passionate about Latin and Ancient Greek. :D

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 174 of 176
25 December 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Mooby and Kerrie! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your logs, too.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5895 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 175 of 176
31 December 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
For her noble efforts in Team Żubr, I have great pleasure in awarding the Żubr medal* of honour to Amerykanka:

*Courtesy of Białowieża National Park
Well done! Best wishes for next year.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 176 of 176
01 January 2014 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much! I am glad that I had the opportunity to be a member of Team Żubr.

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version