Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 25 of 63
26 January 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
There's quite a number of old forms of writing, but they don't write it anymore because there's not many who can read it. I imagine many people try to learn to read it if they have family manuscripts or letters from grandparents or great grandparents that they want to have decrypted. Anyone who can read it well is very much in demand. Translating old letters and books is a lucrative business because there aren't many who can do it.

The only form of writing I can recognize from the others is Süttlerin because my kids had to bring a picture of the alphabet to class as a part of their lesson in history. The "gothic script" that you're refering to might be "Frakturschrift".

I think Mozart wrote at least partly in Frakturschrift. I was at the Mozarthaus in Salzburg this past summer and I was thrilled to be able to read bits and pieces of his letters to his family! I told my husband, "hey,.. I'm reading something Mozart wrote!"

Edited by Sunja on 26 January 2013 at 3:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4151 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 26 of 63
26 January 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for your answer. I like history and reading old texts, so I am going to be learning the script form at the same time as the German language. I found so much to work with on the internet, old German language methods, even a couple of old books that teach precisely handwriting! I think it's worthwhile and interesting. Not to mention very beautiful on page.

I know how you felt reading something Mozart wrote. I have the same feeling when I can read ancient text on stones, or understand bits of that wonderfully complicated byzantine handwriting in museums. It's like a revelation, an instant connection with a person that doesn't live any more.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 26 January 2013 at 3:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 27 of 63
26 January 2013 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
It's like going back in time!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4637 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 28 of 63
26 January 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
I think Mozart wrote at least partly in Frakturschrift. I was at the Mozarthaus in Salzburg this past summer and I was thrilled to be able to read bits and pieces of his letters to his family! I told my husband, "hey,.. I'm reading something Mozart wrote!"

Technically, the old German handwriting is called "Kurrentschrift". "Fraktur" is the old script for printing. "Sütterlin", however, was a handwriting developed by Ludwig Sütterlin in 1911, that was based on the "Kurrentschrift" but modernized it in some points.

If you have to read old books, "Fraktur" will be very helpful, especially if there's no modernized version of the same text available. "Kurrent" will only help you if you want to read old manuscripts or letters. Today, most Germans can read neither, only old people and historians still know them.

I can read "Fraktur" fluently, but "Kurrent" can be difficult (because it's handwriting). I needed both for my studies, because I had to deal with old texts and sources. If you're into such stuff, you might give it a try.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it was the Nazis who abolished German script in 1941 altogether, because Hitler wanted a script that could be read by all peoples. He thought once he had won the war, German would be the lingua franca of the future.

Edited by Josquin on 26 January 2013 at 6:55pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4151 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 29 of 63
26 January 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, I will give it a try. I think that the history of languages is fascinating, and I love old manuscripts, books and texts. This conversation motivates me even more to learn German. :)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 30 of 63
26 January 2013 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
I can read "Fraktur" fluently, but "Kurrent" can be difficult (because it's handwriting). I needed both for my studies, because I had to deal with old texts and sources. If you're into such stuff, you might give it a try.

I'll have to remember that Frakturschrift is the old Druckschrift and not handwriting. I think the old printed material is gorgeous. Wow, you're versed in these old forms, that's great. English Cursive/joined writing hasn't changed much over the decades, most people can still read newspapers/letters from long ago -- unless they have a problem with the language used.

Edited by Sunja on 26 January 2013 at 7:58pm

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4415 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 31 of 63
27 January 2013 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
This conversation led me to spend a crazy (but fun) amount of time looking up things about Fraktur, and I ended up reading part of Heinrich Schliemann's autobiography in Frakturschrift. What a delicious way to spend some time! One of the best things about learning a new language (and being on Team Schnitzel) is the opening up of new vistas.
3 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4151 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 32 of 63
27 January 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
LOL, we are on the same page BAnna!

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version