Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4152 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 33 of 63
28 January 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Die Deutsche sprache ohne lehrer is a manual I am currently using for my German. (I continue assimil and pimsleur of course. ) It's a 1950s small book, that says that with the proper effort you learn in four months. It suits me perfectly. It has a ton of words, it has nice exercises, good explanations. On the other hand it has no audio, hence the other courses. It also has a chapter on the German handwriting, so I have started learning it. Es ist sehr interessant.

I was a bit confused for a while, which languages to follow, which one to drop, which manuals and courses to use... I hope I have settled now. I know others have been having similar problems.

Last night I saw a documentary on tv, on the Berlin wall. I knew the story of course, but some of the details were amazing. The footage of people jumping out of buildings was particularly shocking to me. Anyway, good riddens.

1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 34 of 63
28 January 2013 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
One question for mature natives or otherwise knowledgeable people regarding older scripts and electronic texts... ignoring issues with the debated spelling reform of the nineties, is there any difference between the script change from Gothic to anything 'modern' and what we would call nowadays a 'font change' i.e. mark some text and apply a different font to it?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 35 of 63
28 January 2013 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
The only relevant change was the abolition of the 'long s', which had to be used at the beginning and in the middle of words. Most people today mistake it for an f, because it doesn't look like a 'normal s' at all. It still exists in unicode: ſ.

Other than that, German orthography wasn't changed by the shift from "Gothic" to "Latin" script.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 36 of 63
28 January 2013 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
The only relevant change was the abolition of the 'long s', which had to be used at the beginning and in the middle of words.[...]

I just read at Wikipedia "When a font containing the long s is used, German typographic rules require the common s to be used when it occurs singly at the end of a syllable, while the long s is used at the beginning of a syllable (more detailed rules are given for other cases)." Geez, what a mess!

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4152 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 37 of 63
29 January 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Finally a breakthrough! I finished the ten first lessons of the Michel Thomas German foundation.   Quite a few useful verbs, introduction to the word odrer, connection to the anglosaxon side of English, several grammatical tips, and an idea of how to cratively use words you already know.

Off to the next ten chapters.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4152 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 38 of 63
30 January 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Ich heiße Penelope. Ich bin Griechin. Ich will die Deutsche Sprache zu meinem Vorteil lernen. Ich lerne lesen und schreiben. Ich hoffe der Fortschritt bald tun.

If anyone would like to correct this, thank you in advance.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 30 January 2013 at 8:55am

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4305 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 39 of 63
30 January 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if it's written correctly, but I can understand it perfectly without a dictionary. That means something, doesn't it? I guess Josqin or someone will correct you.

By the way, what do you mean by using the words you know 'creatively'? I guess you're talking about verbs with prefixes and the like, but I'm not sure.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stefan
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4121 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC1
Studies: German

Message 40 of 63
30 January 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Ich heiße Penelope. Ich bin Griechin. Ich will die Deutsche Sprache zu meinem Vorteil
lernen. Ich lerne lesen und schreiben. Ich hoffe der Fortschritt bald tun.

If anyone would like to correct this, thank you in advance.

http://lang-8.com/ is great to get all of your texts corrected.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version