Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 49 of 63
06 February 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
I will not be updating this log for duration of the the 6 week challenge. Hopefully, by the end of it, I will be able to produce some sentences in German. The courses I use are assimil and MT. I stopped using anything else, because that slows me down in my effort to get a basic grasp of the language. I will follow these two courses, and after I complete them, then I'll continue with more.

good luck with the challenge!
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4151 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 50 of 63
06 February 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Danke schön!
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4151 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 51 of 63
25 February 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
We took a 10 day trip to my husband's family which set the entire language project back. Last night we returned, and now I must rush things, or continue at a normal pace and see what happens.

The truth is that my general mood is pretty low, so languages can be a good distraction. On the other hand one thinks, what's the point? I believe in learning for personal improvement and education very strongly, but sometimes the thought that we are past the point of having aimless fun crosses my mind.

However, depression is not my style, so here is a report focusing on the good things I have going languagewise:

I have fixed my pc and printer problems, so I can print pages and slowly build my own file as I go. Mainly assimil of course, but not only that. This way I can be more flexible with my material, insert essays, useful stuff etc. Hopefully I will end up with a very large, but very comprehensive file always there for future reference. It's also a good way to keep things organised and put together.

I am having some trouble with my motivation for learning German. I actually grew to like the language, and appreciate it's beauty, which I can tell you wasn't the case at the beginning. I attribute my lack of motivation to procrastination (or just being lazy?) and to the fact that I can't really use it yet. There is also a lot of going back and forth to other languages, with German being my main focus.

Anyway, back to the usual course of things...

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 52 of 63
25 February 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
I attribute my lack of motivation to procrastination (or just being lazy?) ..

Maybe it's Assimil? I had a hard time sticking to Assimil with French. I would become frustrated because I wasn't moving as fast as the lessons. The lessons weren't even that good, in terms of subjectmatter. I lost interest after lesson 80. I thought it was me, but after I took a break Assimil, things got better.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4151 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 53 of 63
27 February 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
I think you are right. It's a course that works, but it's not very interesting.
I try to focus on myself, and work on my own resistence to sitting down to study, but assimil is not inviting sometimes. I can't wait to start reading other things!

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4151 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 54 of 63
13 March 2013 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
My husband watches a lot of football in German channels, with the volume loud and clear, so I pick up words. Who would think that bundesliga would help me learn. LOL.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4415 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 55 of 63
13 March 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Serpent (not on Team Schnitzel, but an active poster on this site) watches a lot of football matches in different languages. Following your interests is a great way to learn vocabulary that will stick with you.
My husband watches the Bundesliga also, and the Champions League, and some others, in English and Spanish. Meanwhile I study :)...so football can be useful in different ways. And my language study keeps me from being a "football widow".

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4151 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 56 of 63
13 March 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
One Game to rule them all,
One Match to find them,
One Sport to bring them all
and in Bundesliga bind them.

We will end up being able to broadcast a football match in German before anything else, Banna! I knew european husbands had the obsession, but americans as well?
We also watch the Italian channels, which are wonderful to listen to. Their football programmes are filled with beautiful girls, interviews and show.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version