Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 25 of 49
03 June 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Avui vaig acabar el curs d'Assimil. Bé, la ona passiva. Ara no sé què fer, potser començar el curs d'Euskara? No ho sé, ja tinc prou idiomes mal après com per afegir-hi un altre. Però els cursos d'Assimil són bé convenients, mitja hora al dia i puc fer-los mentre camino a classe. No és tan fàcil estudiar el francès o el alemany perquè fora del escriptori i la computadora no és molt convenient, o més aviat, els llibres són massa grans com per a portar-los i llegir-los pel camí. És potser per això que m'agraden tant els curs d'FSI, són molt complets i es pot fer-los fora de casa. Prefereixo estudiar fora, dins la casa m'avorreixo i no em concentro bé.
1 person has voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 26 of 49
04 June 2013 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Personally, I'm hoping you'll get back to Greek and/or take up Quechua. My reasons are
selfish, I'll admit it, as I have studied those languages and don't know much about
Basque.

Your Catalan looks great! Was Assimil your only resource? Did I understand right that you
have completed only the passive wave?

Edit: Went back to read an earlier post and I see that you have completed the whole
Assimil Catalan (or just about). Great work!

Edited by embici on 04 June 2013 at 12:48pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 27 of 49
04 June 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Woah, what's my log doing at the top of the language log forum?!

Well, when i say completed all of Assimil i really mean the passive wave. Around lesson 45 or 50 the lessons start to get RIDICULOUSLY long, the recordings are a good 6-7 minutes at a fair speed. Huge paragraphs, etc. I only plan to follow the active wave up to this point, after that i think it'd be too boring and i'd rather translate other things (on Lang-8 i started translating Momo into Catalan :)).

And yeah, my only resource has been Assimil. I started writing in Catalan a bit on Lang-8 a few weeks or so ago, though. Altogether only about 10 entries, though.

I love Greek, too, i love it's structure, i love the vocabulary, and i love the sound (it reminds me of Spanish a little :D). I think a little nudging and i would quickly fall back onto the Greek bandwagon, especially since i'm really starting to get frustrated with Chinese and kinda sorta starting to get comfortable with Catalan. FSI Greek is still sitting on my hard drive (and printing in China is super cheap, printing all 3 volumes and having them glued/bound would be about $5 total)... Ahhhhh! Don't do it! ;)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 28 of 49
05 June 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
I started working on a parallel text of Paris by Emile Zola (from the Three Cities series). I think it's pretty usable now but there's still maybe a third or so of the text i haven't cleaned up, so there are a few parts that might be a bit off. But even the parts i haven't gone through are pretty good, a sentence mis-aligned here and there. Thanks in part to the a few liberties the translator took and especially to the translator notes, there are a few parts that got a bit more skewed. I'm working on finishing it up, just thought i'd share what i've done so far in case i never do end up finishing it. To be clear, the whole text is there, there are just a few parts where a sentence or two aren't exactly lined up. I've also been removing the little extra bits the translator threw in that aren't in the French version, cleaning up some really free translations, and translating some parts the author left out.

Anyway, here it is if anyone's interested:
Emile Zola - Paris (HTML)
Emile Zola - Paris (PDF)
Emile Zola - Paris (XML)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 29 of 49
13 June 2013 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Avui en mirar la llista de llengües en el meu reproductor de mp3 em vaig adonar que només estudio idiomes que són al principi de l'alfabet ;)
Castellano
Català
Chino Mandarin
Deutsch
Esperanto
Euskara
Français
Galego
Griego

Bé potser no és completament veritat perquè també s'hi troba el rus, però si no comptem el rus hi ha nou llengües, totes les quals entre la C i la G. Ara sabeu per què no avanço amb els meus idiomes, en tinc massa i passo el dia distraient-me amb ximpleries :P

Edited by Crush on 13 June 2013 at 7:10pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 30 of 49
20 June 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I've started reading Harry Potter in Chinese and i've got to say it's so much more fun than what i've been doing for my classes. As soon as my classes end i think i'm just gonna slowly work my way through the rest of NPCR but spend most of my time and effort on reading (with Perapera).

I've also decided to add Euskara/Basque to the list of languages i'm studying as i've been working through the Assimil course (Iniciación al euskara) and two other resources:
1. The first one is called "Curso gratuito de euskera" by Gorka I. Bakero. I really like this course, though it's got quite a few typos and misspellings. I've found it covers the grammar really well and explains things clearly. The best part are all the example sentences. Oh, and as the name implies, it's free ;)
2. The second one is ikasten.net. I'm currently on lesson 9. I've found the explanations aren't always that clear but there are lots of exercises (and it's free, you just need to sign up). The exercises are a bit difficult sometimes and i swear they don't always explain everything they test you on, but in the end it's good practice. It will also supposedly take you all the way up to an advanced level, i dunno as i'm still working through the A1 portion of the course (i didn't get a single question right on the placement test :P).

And i guess i'll give a brief- review of the Assimil course so far (i just studied lesson 23 today). I feel like especially in the beginning the course is really overwhelming. I'm just now getting used to the word order. Vocabulary has also been really hard to remember, unless i've seen a word in at least 2 or 3 different lessons i can't remember it. At the start of every new lesson i feel like i'll never be able to understand it, by the end i can understand how the sentences work but if i heard them outside of the tape i doubt i'd understand them. The course does seem to introduce a lot of material despite being so short and i am starting to get used to the use of the cases. The hardest part really seems to be the vocabulary. The grammar, while a bit complex, seems pretty regular and is really interesting. I think speaking Basque would be a lot of fun. In short, i think the Assimil course is a good course, it can just be a bit demotivating at times (the first week in particular is killer). I'll have a better idea once i finish the course.

Edited by Crush on 20 June 2013 at 6:50pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 31 of 49
21 June 2013 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Només volia esmentar que m'he alegrat molt avui quan he llegit un petit text en euskara (basc) sense haver de mirar ni un sol cop el diccionari:
Quote:
Idoiaren Familia

Idoiaren familia ez da oso handia. Idoiaren gurasoak Lekeitiokoak dira, baina Zarautzen bizi dira orain.

Aita enpresaburua da eta ama irakaslea. Euren etxea oso polita da. Ane, Idoiaren ahizpa, gurasoekin bizi da, baina Bartzelonan dago orain.

Ane oso neska argia da. Aitor Idoiaren anaia da, futbolaria da, eta Donostian bizi da. Aitorren auto berria oso azkarra da. Aitor oso pozik dago, baina Aitorren ama ez dago pozik. Aitorren ama urduri eta beldurtuta dago.

Idoiaren aitona eta amona oso zaharrak dira. Oletan bizi dira, Bizkaian.

Euren baserria mendian dago. Idoiaren aitona eta amona oso pozik bizi dira han.
Ja sé que és molt simple, però l'he entès tot! M'agraden molt els casos del basc, són molt divertits.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 32 of 49
23 June 2013 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Today i went through the 10th lesson of Gorka's Basque course and was treated to a wonderful overview of (simple) verb tenses. In the introduction it says after lesson 15 you should be ready to start watching TV, listening to the radio, etc. I was a little skeptical, especially since the lessons are so short, but if the next few lessons are as nice as this one, who knows? I really like this course, it's short but covers a lot, has lots and lots of examples and clear explanations (if you can get around all the misspellings and typos).

I'm still chugging through Assimil, today i did lesson 26, though i still feel like nothing sticks actively in my brain. I think for that to happen i'd need to radically change the way i use Assimil. I'll see how it goes when the active wave rolls around (next week), though i'll be heading to Spain in a week and a half at which point all my language study will stop for the summer :P

I love Catalan and Basque and i'll be really excited to get back to them after the summer. For Catalan i've mostly been reading and watching "Polseres Vermelles" from tv3.cat, though i've also been doing a lesson a day from the TY course (today did lesson 19).

Once i finish Gorka's course (or Assimil, whichever comes first), i've been thinking of running through the Colloquial Basque course. While maybe not super comprehensive, i feel like i'll still need the practice. I'm definitely open to other suggestions for courses to use after Assimil/Gorka's course.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version