Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6765 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 33 of 49
24 June 2013 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Just curious, how difficult are you finding it to read Harry Potter in Chinese? And how
are you checking up new words? Good luck with your studies!
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 34 of 49
24 June 2013 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
I'm using a text version of the book and loading it with Firefox. Words i don't know i just hover over with the mouse to get a pop-up translation with Perapera :)

It's not that hard, a lot can be figured out through context, plus it's much more interesting than most of the texts in my textbooks. At first i was going to add all the new words to Anki, but i figured so much of my Chinese study is so boring that i wanted to have at least one fun thing to look forward to. At the pace i'm going at (20-30 minutes a day) it'll take a couple months to finish, but as i get a little further along in some of my other languages hopefully more time will open up to spend on reading in Chinese.

I'm sure Harry Potter is much simpler than most actual Chinese books (ie, not translated), i'd say every other or every third sentence has some word or construction i'm not familiar with (compare this to every other/third word in the Chinese novels i've looked through :P), sometimes (admittedly not often) i can get through entire paragraphs fine. I think it's a good starting point for weaning oneself of textbook texts, and if you're thinking about it i say go for it :)

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6765 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 35 of 49
25 June 2013 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Thanks! Perapera sounds nifty. I'll need to check it out.

I am still nowhere close to reading Harry Potter in Chinese, but that can be a goal for
next year. I still need to learn another 1,500 or so characters before I can start
understanding even basic texts.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 36 of 49
02 July 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Demà me'n vaig a Madrid! Hi vaig per passar-hi l'estiu, us veuré quan en torni!

And here's a short message in Basque:
Madrilara joango naiz bihar. Oso pozik nago!

"Euskalduna naiz eta harro nago!" :P

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 37 of 49
02 July 2013 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Καλό ταξίδι, Crush! I can't wait to read about your Basque and Catalan-speaking adventures.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 38 of 49
02 July 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Ευχαριστω! I'm not sure that i'll make it over to Euskal Herria or Catalunya, i really wish i could. But either way i'd like to at least pick up a few nice books to keep me company here in China :)

I'm gonna see if i can stick to these three languages (Chinese, Catalan, and Basque (grrr.. at first i wrote Greek! You're messing with my mind!)) for the rest of my time in China.

Gero arte!

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 39 of 49
07 October 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone, still hanging in there. I've started a little schedule focusing mostly on Spanish and Chinese, though i try to find the time to fit in French, German, and Catalan at least a couple times a week.

I'm starting to see my comprehension get better and better but it's still really difficult to express myself. I'm thinking of maybe getting a nice grammar (such as this one) and working my way through and looking up points that are difficult/confusing to me. But other than that i really don't know where to go. I'm currently working my way through NPCR and the HSK 5 lists at Memrise, which seems to be doing wonders for my comprehension, but i stumble a lot with the production. I wonder if it's mostly a vocabulary issue? I'd be happy to hear any advice you've got.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 40 of 49
15 October 2013 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
I'm getting my routine down a bit better and managing to fit in at least a minimal amount of Spanish study every day, which has been nice. I still can't seem to fit in French or German, which is a bummer :/

But now i've been getting at least 30 minutes of Spanish (Sueña 4 textbook), Euskara (Assimil and Gorka's guide), and Mandarin (NPCR 4 and memrise) every day :)

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version