Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4920 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 9 of 51
10 January 2013 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
Wow, that's cool! It's such a great moment when you cross that barrier and all of a sudden start to be able to take
part in normal life. Now you've got so much more options to grow and expand your Korean, simply by living part of
your life in that language. Thanks for sharing!
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4658 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 10 of 51
10 January 2013 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Congrats! Sounds like a great experience which is surely going to give you lots of motivation for your studies :)

LittleBoy
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5100 days ago

84 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 11 of 51
12 January 2013 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Hello fellow Team 鶴 member!

That does sound great. That feeling when everything clicks and it works easily is so good!

Best of luck for 2013!

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5988 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 12 of 51
14 January 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
KOREAN:

This week just past, I got fully into the swing of attending Korean class again after our winter recess. There are only two students in the class, so it's quite intimate but not really a private lesson, since it follows Sogang 5 books on a tight schedule; we are aiming to cover the 5A and 5B textbooks in four months. We completed 5A Chapter 1 and over the weekend I did the homework in the workbook. I really don't like workbook assignments, but the level 5 book is vocab-heavy and most of the homework was vocab review, so I don't think it was a waste of time.

Also this week, I focused a lot on listening. I worked with TTMIK's Iyagi lessons #125-130, 133, 139 & 144. Most of these were review, since I've heard them before. At this point I'm working with them intensively, reading the transcripts, mining them for unknown vocab and looking closely at the grammar, doing transcriptions of certain sections, really trying to get myself to understand them completely. It gets a little old since I've heard some of them several times.

As far as grammar in the Iyagi series, these are intended to be intermediate level so there's no complicated grammar, but I have learned from listening to them that I have an over-reliance on certain grammatical constructions that aren't used that often, and there are other very common constructions that I rarely use. This is one of the biggest things I'm learning from Iyagi lately, how to use grammar more naturally.

To and from class, and whenever I'm on the subway alone, I listen to Korean Grammar in Use: Intermediate CD. It's a recording of sentences from the grammar lessons in the book. I like listening to this CD often because it gets me familiar with the sound/rhythm of the grammar patterns. I probably listen to it about 4 hours per week these days.

For more listening practice, I worked with some of the Advanced Audio Blog lessons that you can get for free on Korean Class 101.com. I find them stilted, but at least they are basically intermediate level, so somewhat easy to understand.

I also watched on You Tube, The Guru Show, a Korean gag/interview program, a long interview with Ahn Cheol Soo, founder of AhnLabs. Though it wasn't easy for me to understand parts of it, these kinds of programs include some abbreviated captions that provide a boost. There are lots more episodes of the program available on You Tube and they all focus on interviews with prominent Koreans.

A busy week for Korean, but I didn't do a lot with...

ARABIC

From my book Complete Guide to Arabic Script, I covered pages 36-49 and practiced with some children's textbooks. I'm getting more familiar with the letters but each word is a struggle. Still, it's satisfying since two weeks ago Arabic script looked like little more than scribbles to me. It is good to see it coming into focus, starting to look like something I have a shot at understanding.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5988 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 

Message 13 of 51
21 January 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
This was a slow week for both languages

ARABIC

Early in the week, I finished the "Reading" section of Complete Guide to Arabic Script, so I've now been introduced to all the letters and have practiced reading simple words. The next part is "Writing" which will show me how to write them. Writing looks hard and it's not very important for me to be able to write. However, I think it will reinforce the letters, so I'll just try to glide through it without agonizing too much.

KOREAN

Even Korean was a bit slow this week, which is unusual for me. We hit a really boring and frustrating chapter in my Korean class. It's about making presentations, which holds no interest for me at all, since I will never give a presentation in Korean and am not interested in putting time into planning a "make-believe" presentation for Korean class. Instead, I would rather just learn Korean. The Sogang books are really written for young people who want to enroll in Korean universities, so they need a lesson on classroom presentations, but I certainly don't. This is the problem with being in a class that adheres too closely to a textbook. My classmate is a broadcast journalist so she doesn't need lessons on making presentations, either.

Other than my class work, I also did Anki every day, listened to a lecture on YouTube (the series is called 세상을 바꾸는 시간 15분--it's a series of short lectures on a variety of different topics). I still only understand chunks of it. I don't really understand how it all fits together and don't get the overall meaning. I'm just going to keep listening to it until I throw up or hate myself, whichever comes first. Also listened to the news a couple nights while cooking.

Read two short stories in my book, 벙어리 동찬이. It's a book of short stories for kids. These stories lay on the melodrama and life lessons pretty thick, so I'll be glad to finish this book and move onto something a bit less treacly.

I might quit Anki. I have a couple sentence decks that I got off the internet and I've been doing them for about 7 months. I used to love doing them, but I'm starting to feel like they sap my motivation. I feel like I need to do them first thing every day so I don't fall behind, and they sort of hang over my head. I've been running an experiment where I "allow" myself to do reading instead of Anki, and that's how I read two short stories in two days. When I have something required, like Anki, it seems to push my perfectionist buttons so I can't get anything else done while I procrastinate on the Anki. Ditch the Anki, and I move ahead productively with other, more fun activities, like reading. I'm pondering.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6342 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 14 of 51
21 January 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
I can relate to that feeling you have about Anki, I have often experienced something similar. The key in this situation, I think, is to figure out for yourself how much you really learn from doing the Anki reviews. It seems to me that you can get sentences for studying from many other resources including native materials so maybe those would be a better option for you. This way you could pick the sentences that are the most valuable to you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5988 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 

Message 15 of 51
23 January 2013 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
I started Anki last spring, right around the time I started reading a lot. At first it was very helpful. There was a great synergy as each activity reinforced the other. I was constantly encountering the same words or phrases in both places--books and Anki. I felt the Anki was helping my vocab acquisition a lot.

But now I'm busier. I'm taking a class, doing homework, and the Anki is just one more thing on the MUST DO list. I like to have a lot of freedom to switch between materials.

Anyway, I dumped it. Yesterday I deleted everything and immediately felt a great relief. For several months it was very beneficial, but I don't think I need it at this stage in my learning.

3 persons have voted this message useful

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4304 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 16 of 51
23 January 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Hello teammate. I'm at a much early stage in learning Mandarin than you are Korean, and
I'm at the stage where Anki is great. I do see how over time it can be come a chore, and
I hope that is later than sooner for me. I'm enjoying the process.

I look forward to following your progress this year. Good luck on all your goals!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version