Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5987 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 25 of 51
28 February 2013 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
For the February Challenge I chose a song by Kang San Ae (or Kang San Eh; 강산에) called Salmon or 거꾸로 강을 거슬러 오른 저 힘찬 연어처럼 (unpoetically translated as: Like the powerful salmon that swim upstream)

Here's the video for Kang San Ae Salmon

강산에 has a lot of great songs, also some interesting clothes and hats in some of the other videos posted on YouTube, so check him out if you like this one. This was the only song I found of his with a real music video. It's very fun to watch, with great shots of urban Korean moments that are evocative and compelling.

This is a song about not knowing where life will take you, and just being brave enough to keep going even when the path isn't easy.

The lyrics in Korean and English are available with the video posted on YouTube. I sang along under my breath several times to the best of my musical ability in the privacy of my own home ㅋㅋㅋ and looked up the words I didn't know. This song sounds really great, especially the 걸어걸어걸어 가다보면 part and did I mention the video is so fun to watch. I've even got my teenage son watching it now.
1 person has voted this message useful

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5987 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 

Message 26 of 51
03 March 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Time for another weekly update.

I've been spending lots of time online watching things on YouTube or reading things online in Korean. I continue to be encouraged by how much I can read, somewhat disappointed by how much I understand while listening, and horrified by my speakimg.
Last night I went out to dinner with some Korean friends and my speaking was just awful, embarrassing.

In my class we've finished the Sogang 5A book and will start 5B tomorrow. I spent quite a bit of time on my homework this week, especially some writing homework which I found very helpful and productive. If I can work some Lang-8 into my schedule I think it would help me a lot.

A Korean friend recommended the drama 무자식 상팔자 so I started watching it online. I've only watched the first episode so far, watched it twice and thank goodness for subtitles.

In Arabic, I've abandoned my books for now and am just watching online lessons for kids. On YouTube I started watching LearnArabicWithMaha. They are very simple lessons focused on basic conversational Levantine Arabic, presented by a charismatic and enthusiastic woman named Maha. I feel that the way I learned Korean was too grammar-focused from the beginning, so with Arabic I want to concentrate more on listening and see how that goes.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4440 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 27 of 51
03 March 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Wow, this Maha sounds like a brilliant teacher!

Do you know if there are any similar vids for Yemeni Arabic?

You could try finding a similar on-line video or teacher to improve your Korean listening comprehension...

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5987 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 

Message 28 of 51
04 March 2013 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Hi Zireael! When I was looking for Arabic lessons, I just went straight to YouTube and put in all sorts of search terms. I'm most interested in Palestinian dialect, but ended up finding pages and pages of anti-Palestinian propaganda videos. You might have the same problem looking for Yemeni Arabic; you may get lots of propaganda or political videos instead of language videos. And it may be hard to find something specifically Yemeni since it's a bit obscure compared to Egyptian, Levantine, etc. I just looked through everything I could find in "Levantine," and finally found this engaging series of lessons from a Palestinian woman. She also has some cultural and sightseeing videos that are interesting to watch.

In Korean, I've improved my listening significantly in the last six months but of course it could always be better. I can find enough borderline comprehensible but still challenging Korean material to listen to. It's much harder to find something appropriate in Arabic, since my level is zero! What I really need in Arabic is a Mom who will read me picture books and talk baby talk to me.

Edited by Haksaeng on 04 March 2013 at 1:01am

Youngbin
Diglot
Korea, South
youngbinlee.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Korean*, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 29 of 51
04 March 2013 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
학생님, 안녕하세요. ㅎㅎ log 잘읽었어요~ ^_^

저도 외국인 친구들을 사귀기 시작하면서 놀랐던 것 중에 하나가, 우리나라에 살면서도 한국어를 사용할 일이 별로
없다는 것이었어요. 아무래도 영어를 가르치는 일을 하다보니까 계속 영어를 써야하고, 주변의 친구들도 영어를 사용
하다보니까 한국어 연습을 잘 못한다고 하더라구요. 어떻게 보면 안타까운 일인것 같아요. ^^;

혹시 한국어 연습 하고 싶으시면 제가 도와드릴 수도 있어요. ^^ 스카이프나 이런걸로 음성 채팅 하는 것도 괜찮을
것 같네요. (저도 영어 말하기 연습이 더 필요하다는!! ㅎㅎ) 관심 있으시면 알려주시구요~ 한국어 공부 화이팅하세
요~ :D Crane팀 화이팅~ ^.^

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4440 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 30 of 51
04 March 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
Quote:
It's much harder to find something appropriate in Arabic, since my level is zero! What I really need in Arabic is a Mom who will read me picture books and talk baby talk to me.

You could try finding a native speaker who could write you simple stuff via e-mails or FB - like Good morning, you're welcome, I'm not sure, how do you say x, I don't understand...

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5987 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 

Message 31 of 51
10 March 2013 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
Youngbin, thank you very much for your kind offer! And Zireal, I have access to a native speaker--my husband! It's hard to establish new habits though and he's just not used to speaking Arabic to me.

This past week, in Korean class we started a new book, Sogang 5B. This is the final book in the series. It will take 2 months for us to cover this book, and after that I don't know what I'll do for classes. I enjoy taking a class in addition to self-study.

This week I studied two GLOSS lessons as part of the March Challenge. One of them was a repeat, since I had already studied it a few months ago. Some of it I had completely forgotten! It almost felt like a completely new lesson. Each of these lessons includes so much new vocab that I can't possibly absorb all of it in a few hours, so repeating the lessons every few months could be a good strategy for me.

I focused on watching movies/TV this week. I watch Korean TV while preparing dinner in the evenings.

I'm also continuing with the Korean drama 무자식 상팔자. I watched Episode 2.

I watched three movies: 말아톤, about a single mother raising an autistic son and encouraging him to run a marathon. Since the son's language ability is limited, the movie is pretty easy to understand.

어린 신부 (My Little Bride) is a weird and unintentionally creepy movie about a family who pressures their 15-year-old daughter to marry an older family friend who has been like a big brother to her. So bizarre and unrealistic that I couldn't stop watching.

집으로 about a young boy dumped off at his old granny's shack out in the countryside because his single mother needs a break from him. He's a brat and behaves terribly, but a relationship develops between the boy and his grandmother, and the ending is quite touching. Quite interesting to see the rural lifestyle.

All of the movies are available on YouTube, with English subtitles.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5987 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 

Message 32 of 51
17 March 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
This was a good week for my Korean listening.

I continued with the 무자식상팔자 drama, and watched Episodes 3-9 this week.

I've developed a habit of watching TV while cooking dinner each evening, so I usually get some local news and/or a Korean drama.

I also have a habit of just browsing random Korean videos on YouTube. Sometimes a TOPIK lesson, sometimes part of a movie or drama, or some funny clip from a gag show, or whatever happens to catch my eye.

I used a Sogang online lesson for dictation practice. Dictation is frustrating but I feel like it helps my listening for some reason. Whenever I concentrate on dictation for a few days, I notice my comprehension gets a little better. This week I only did one passage, so no noticeable effects, but it's a good habit for me to do it once in a while. It forces me to slow down and focus on details.

I joined LingQ because I've always liked Steve's videos and appreciate his take on language learning. But after doing a few lessons, I don't think I'll use it much. I don't like working with random short passages and don't find them compelling enough. There aren't very many interesting ones at my level, and I don't like focusing on vocab. I think I will use it for occasional listening practice because it's convenient to have the transcripts available, but I don't like doing vocab exercises, flashcards, etc.

TTMIK finally put up a new Iyagi lesson this week. I've listened to all the old ones pretty intensively, so it was nice to get some fresh meat. I found it pretty easy to understand the first time, so felt happy about that. The AdvancedKorean site also featured a video by TTMIK's KyungEun Choi this week, so I worked on that one, too. I mostly understood it, but there are always some details that I miss because I don't always pick up on all the grammar so I miss some less obvious points. She was talking about her cameras and I kept getting confused about which camera she was discussing as she switched back and forth, describing the features and history of each one.

I posted a small piece of writing on Lang-8 and received a correction within about 15 minutes. I should do it more often!! It's so helpful to me. Lang-8 is going through some kind of facelift and is glitchy right now. I had some problems using it and noticed some others posting comments about problems they're having with it too. Hope they get that all ironed out soon.

As always, attended Korean class three times this week and did all the assigned reading, vocab study, and homework assignments. I love my class. There are only two of us in the class. The other student is a Korean-American who is fluent in spoken Korean, so I learn something just from listening to him talk. It's a little embarrassing for me to have to talk in my halting baby-Korean in front of him, but I try not to think about it.

In Arabic, I just nag my husband to speak to me in Arabic when I think about it. I also listen in on his phone conversations and ask him about words I notice.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version