United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4164 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 89 of 134
20 September 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
"Głaskać" that's a great word! For someone with five cats I should definitely know that word (probably along with claws, scratch, and litter box!)
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5900 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 90 of 134
04 October 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 4327
Hours Studied = 54 (Total: 959)

With family visiting, my time has been heavily constrained recently, so I've just Anki-ed around and listened to Samo Życie as usual. But course work and reading have dipped.

Anki is tough going at the moment. Because I grade my answers too strictly, I'm facing 300 reviews a day!. Also, there are new words that I added 2 months ago that I'm only starting to review now. There's too much slack in the system.

I was thinking about my level of reading.
On general subjects, in magazines or mainstream literature, I can categorise words as follows:

1. Words that I know and recognise immediately. = 55%
    2. Words that I know, but fail to recognise immediately, because:
           a) The word has changed a lot through declension.   = 5%
           b) Although I know it, I temporarily forgot it. = 10%
    3. Words whose meaning I can infer from context. = 5%
    4. Words I have not learned yet and cannot infer = 25%

Words and Phrases
Mało brakowało! - "That was close!", "that was a close shave!"
Spójrzmy prawdzie w oczy - "Let's face it"
Uciekaj gdzie pieprz rośnie! - "Run like hell!", "Run like the wind!" Literally means something like: 'Flee (to/from?) where the pepper grows'. Can anyone tell me the exact translation of this phrase? And how it originated?
Bryła - "lump", "block", "solid mass"
Ostudzić per. - "to cool", "to cool down", "to dampen". In relation to food for example: 'cool before serving' ('ostudź przed podaniem').

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4446 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 91 of 134
04 October 2013 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
I think 'uciekaj gdzie pieprz rośnie' (flee to where the pepper grows) originated because pepper is grown somewhere in Asia, i.e. far away.

And it's neat that you stick to Anki. I got busy with other stuff and haven't touched it in 3 months or so, and now I'm scared to get back to it.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5900 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 92 of 134
17 October 2013 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 4344
Hours Studied = 38 (Total: 997)

A slow week. However I've caught up with Anki so that newly added information is now reviewed the next day (not 2 months later as was the case previously). I only create a maximum of 4 or 5 cards a day in order to keep things manageable, and I don't mark my answers too strictly.
One of the things I like about "Colloquial Polish" (1995 ed. v.different from the current edition) is the number of sentences illustrating the topic under review. There are also lots of snippets of useful information added to complement the main theme. For example, in Lesson 15 (about comparatives) we are introduced to the little word "im" - a word whose meaning has never registered until now. I was vaguely aware that it acted as a pronoun ('them') but I tended to ignore it in extensive reading.
"Im" when used in comparative sentences is usually paired with "tym" to create: the - - - the format. For example:

the earlier the better = im wcześnie tym lepiej
the less said the the better = im mniej słów tym lepiej

I gain an absurd degree of pleasure from discovering things like this! And when I come across it in my reading, the pleasure is doubled. If I manage to hear it in use, quadrupled!

Words of the Week
Rozwój - "development" growth, evolution
Pomijać imper. / Pominąć per. - "to omit", "overlook", "skip", "leave out". He left out important details of the catastrophe ('pominął ważne szczegóły katastrofy')
Umiarkowany - "moderate", "temperate" reasonable
Szlafrok - "dressing gown", "bathrobe"
Skraj - "brink", "verge" edge.

Music
classy ........ Ania Dąbrowska: Nigdy więcej nie tańcz ze mną
cheesy ....... well, boy-band style from Pectus: Szkoły marzeń

@ Zireael: Bardzo dziękuję :)

EDIT: Yes!! I just thought I'd listen to a few minutes of Polish TV before going to bed, and choose Mała Czarna because it's a chat show and there's obviously plenty of dialogue which is what I need. I chose episode 307 pretty much at random, and decided to listen to about 10 minutes (not the full 45, which would wear me out). Anyway, I heard it. Yes, yes, yes. I heard the im --- tym construction, at 4.55 minutes into the show to be precise. The example used was "im prędzej tym lepiej" (the sooner the better). In fact, I originally missed the "im" part and just caught the last part. I played back several times to check. I don't even like chat shows, certainly not UK based ones, but Polish ones are useful for language learning (in short doses). I know it's ridiculous to feel pleased by this - but I am!

Dobra noc.

Edited by Mooby on 17 October 2013 at 11:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 93 of 134
17 October 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
Anki = 4344
Hours Studied = 38 (Total: 997)

OMG, you're at 997! I'm at 997, too! I thought I was well ahead of you, cruising ahead at a comfortable distance... but now I see you passing me on the last meters!

In any case, great job! You're doing something like 5 hours a day, that's incredible! And I'm glad you enjoy the learning process, that's really cool.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5900 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 94 of 134
17 October 2013 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Hehe....who will win the coveted gold medal for the thousand hour race?
I'm now on 997 hours and 26 minutes....... Come on Bakunin!! It's neck and neck....

I have been studying a lot in August and September. This month has started slowly, but I'm enjoying it. If I study too little (2 hours or less), inertia has a greater effect on my progress and I feel like I'm just standing still. So it's all about intensity at the initial stages.

Thanks for cheering me on. I hope your Thai studies are going well - I'm not competing in that race, so you will win it easily :)

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 95 of 134
17 October 2013 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Mooby, I've got 997 (well, I'm now at 998 and 8 minutes) in Thai, not in Polish. My Polish is a paltry 135, but don't forget I joined late and it's, like, priority number three or so. I'll be a fair looser and let you take over. You're going full steam while I'm at my slowest. And whoever hits the 1000 hour mark first, it'll be you who'll rack up the most hours this year, that's for sure. So I might as well let you take the gold medal right now :)

You've got a point about intensity, I'm with you on that. I just hope that my Thai is dependable enough by now so that I can afford to take it easy. On the other hand, I've heard too often to not take it seriously that taking a break actually can be a great boost to one's language skills. Not sure what the mechanism is, must be some consolidation work going on behind the scenes or so.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5900 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 96 of 134
17 October 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Of course! I completely miscalculated. Either way we can both be pleased.

And who cares about gold, when you can get a "Friend of the Bison" [Przyjaciel Żubra] medal?
I'd love to award it to all Team Żubr members on completion of 1000 hours.
More information about the actual medal here and here

Taking a break is interesting.
I wonder how long a break from learning is required for it to be positively effective. Is a complete break necessary? From all activities? Maybe intensity at the beginning / intermediate stages followed by extensive activities and frequent rests at the more advanced stage?

Edited by Mooby on 17 October 2013 at 7:46pm

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version