United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4165 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 65 of 134
24 May 2013 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
LOVE the story, especially the notes left from other climbers along the way!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 66 of 134
24 May 2013 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 3905
Hours Studied = 29 (Total: 515)

Lots of input as usual. I finished reading Pinokio and have gone back to intensive reading with Kroniki Kresu. I'm not sure why I bought this book. I think I saw the cover, realised it was a fantasy story for children and thought it would be interesting. But I find it overly-fantastical to the point where I'm getting irritated with it. I'll persist for now, but I've just bought 3 other books, all fiction, which look more promising.
General non-fiction and feature articles are a lot easier for me to read extensively. I read a few articles and blogs online, which also has the advantage of giving me instant translation of words if I need it.

I did something I've been wanting to do for ages. I hand-wrote miniture declension tables onto small cards for nouns and adjectives. I'm working on pronouns at the moment. Each table is written onto a card about 2x3 inches, and stuck on the wall where I study, at eye level. I've kept the tables as simple as possible and ommitted exceptions and oddities. I could have printed off tables from the internet, but I prefer to arrange the details exactly how I want them. I just want something I can refer to instantly.. I don't want to turn pages in a book or look anything up - it takes too long. "Well, come on, it only takes a few seconds Mooby" I hear you say. That's too long. I want instant referal. 'Blam' - I just have to tilt my head an inch and I've got it.
It's already proving really helpful. After all, Polish is a highly inflected language, so anything I can do to make things more convenient is a help. When I read, do Anki sentences or just wonder about which case to use - a quick glance to my left and I'm there. Add all these glances up and it amounts to a solidifying of my grasp in this area. It's about exposure - lot's of in-your-face exposure.

I spoke with Aga again this week, and really enjoyed it. We talked about food, diets, health, blood pressure, inflammation of the skin, what I had for breakfast and so on. I'm not searching for words too much, and declension choice is improving. But my syntax is all over the place.

Words of the Week
Łaskotać - "to tickle". Why do we laugh when someone tickles us? ('dlaczego śmiejemy się gdy ktoś nas łaskocze?')
Meta - "the finish", "finishing line" of a race. In the long run...('na dłuższą metę...')
Częściowo adv. - "partly", "in part". Partly due to the pain, and partly from fear ('częściowo z powodu bólu, a częściowo ze strachu')

@FK and Amerykanka. Many thanks, I had a lot of fun writing it!

Edited by Mooby on 24 May 2013 at 11:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4926 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 67 of 134
25 May 2013 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
... have gone back to intensive reading with Kroniki Kresu. I'm not sure why I bought this book. I think I saw the cover, realised it was a fantasy story for children and thought it would be interesting. But I find it overly-fantastical to the point where I'm getting irritated with it. I'll persist for now, but I've just bought 3 other books, all fiction, which look more promising.

Mooby, don't do that! Learning Polish is tough enough, don't torture yourself with books you don't enjoy. You don't get points for reading bad or irritating books.

I also liked your little story about mountaineering... :)

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 68 of 134
25 May 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
I think you're right Bakunin!
I might just finish it by reading it quickly and extensively. Or put it aside to read later. I suppose my attitude is, "I paid for it so I ought to read it, and I don't like waste." In other words: a pig-headed stubborness! Like you said, no-one is going to give me a medal for finishing it.

Edited by Mooby on 25 May 2013 at 8:32am

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 69 of 134
03 June 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 3945
Hours Studied = 37 (Total: 552)

Another solid week of input. I've read more Kroniki Kresu and Awantura o Basię, watched my daily dose of Samo Życie and listened to a few Radio Trójka podcasts (thanks for link Bakunin!).

I had separate conversations with Aga and Grażyna, and talked about an incident with a dog, the nature of reality, Plato, slugs attacking gardens, why the swimming pool was closed and acid indigestion among other things. My speaking is slowly improving after each session. Maybe one less mistake here, one shorter pause there.
I'm up to Lesson 9 of Colloquial Polish.

Words of the Week
Gofr - "waffle" as in the pancake. Bonus: Iene's famous waffles
Zręczny - "skilfull", "dextrous", "clever"
Rozglądać się / rozejrzeć się - "to look around", "to have a look around". 1.I'm looking in all diections ('rozglądam się na wszystkie strony'). 2.He had a look round the room ('rozejrzał się po pokoju')

A Spot of Music
Here's a track with text from Martyna Jakubowicz 'W domach z betonu' ('In homes of concrete').

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4165 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 70 of 134
04 June 2013 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
The nature of reality, Plato, and acid indigestion?! Those sound like some very advanced and esoteric subjects. Just being able to recognize those as the subjects being discussed shows your skills really have improved!

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 71 of 134
04 June 2013 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
My ambition outreaches my actual abilities FK!
Whilst some of the subject matter may have been esoteric, I certainly can't discuss them with much depth or subtlety. There's a lot of gesturing, pausing and frustrated expressions involved. And the end-result isn't pretty!

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4926 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 72 of 134
04 June 2013 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
Hours Studied = 37 (Total: 552)

You're logging an impressive number of hours! Last week was more than 5 hours per day on average! Your head must be brimming with Polish now :))

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version