Joined 5900 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 9 of 134
21 January 2013 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 3268
Hours Studied = 20 (Total: 44)

I have incorporated listening and writing activities into my daily routine.

1. Anki reviews (about 50 minutes at the moment)
        2. Conjugate a verb (just the distinguishing conjugations in all tenses/aspects. 5 mins.)
        3. Write on Lang-8 (using the verb in step 2 above, to create a few sentences. 10-15 mins.)
        4. Translate (Eng>Pol the 'Polish Word of the Day' example sentence from Tansparent Languages. 5 mins.)
        5. Listen (to one episode of the serial 'Samo Życie', non-intensive / not repeat listening. 25 mins.)

After these warm-up activities I try to do intensive listening and grammar studies, although I sometimes run out of steam.

Words of the Week
Potomek - 'descendant'. He was a descendant of a Polish king ('był potomkiem polskiego króla')
Osiedlić per. - 'to settle' (somewhere) / 'to settle down'. I regret that I settled here ('żałuję że tutaj się osiedliłem')
Przewidywalny - 'predictable' / 'foreseeable'
Nacechowany - 'marked' (with) / 'characterised' (by). Conflicts are characterised by strong emotions ('konflikty są nacechowane silnymi emocjami')
Przyprawy - 'spices'.

@pesahson. Thanks for the suggestions! It appears that 'Co w mowie piszczy' is still running, so I've bookmarked the site for future reference. The podcasts are only 3 minutes long, so they are very handy for intensive listening without headaches!

@Fuenf Katzen. Well, I quite like these conversations for example - Autograf - rozmowa z.... The sound quality is good, the pronunciation is clear and I can listen to about 40 minutes of conversation in different ways (straight through / in 5 minute repeated chunks etc.)

@MerryCrassmas. Dzięki za wsparcie!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 10 of 134
26 January 2013 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
I just finished reading your plans for the year, and they are very impressive! You have inspired me to go write
a list myself. How far are you into Colloquial Polish? I really liked that book - it taught me a lot of
grammar.

How long do your daily studies normally take? Unless I've added wrong, your warmup activities take almost 2
hours. I wish I spent that much time on Polish per day!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5900 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 11 of 134
26 January 2013 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Hi Amerykanka,
Yes, my warm-ups take about 2 hours and I've faithfully stuck to doing them for the past 11 days. This week I've managed an average of 4 hours daily study because last year my pace was too slow.
I've started using the older version of Colloquial Polish (1983) because I find it more helpful for studying the grammar. I do have the later edition (2001) which has a lot more conversational pieces - I'll work through this one too, when I'm ready.

I keep a little book to note down what I've been doing on any day. If I haven't ticked my exercises I get annoyed, so I don't go to bed til they're done! My listening has definitely improved, that's one good thing, but it's still only 20% comprehension of TV serials; the language is commonplace but the speed is the problem!
I'm going to see both my conversation partners (Dorota, Grażyna and her husband) this evening, so I should get some more practice.

Good luck with your studies. Are you reading another Polish blockbuster?

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 12 of 134
28 January 2013 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
4 hours per day - good job! I wish I spent that much time on Polish. I used to do a few hours per day, but
lately other languages have interfered. In any case, I intend to come up with some sort of schedule so that I
am still progressing even if I have less time.

I have no experience with the 1983 edition of Colloquial Polish, but, like I said, I found the 2001 edition
very useful. It gave me a good knowledge of Polish grammar and provided a firm foundation to work from.

Listening is my worst area in Polish, so I can relate to having trouble understanding things. And to answer
your question - right now I am reading Kamienie na szaniec, which is much easier than some of the
books I have read but still much harder than it ought to be. I am really enjoying it, though!

Powodzenia!

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5523 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 13 of 134
28 January 2013 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:
And to answer
your question - right now I am reading Kamienie na szaniec, which is much easier than some of the
books I have read but still much harder than it ought to be. I am really enjoying it, though!

I remember that book from school. It was one of the compulsory reads. I loved it. It left me heartbroken as it describes real events.
Where do you get ideas for the books you read, Amerykanka? I'm curious because whenever I want to read books from a country of my intrest it often is hit and miss, so I'm curious whether you have some secrets to finding interesting books :).

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 14 of 134
30 January 2013 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
My secret is having a good Polish teacher. :) She recommended all of the books I have read so far. I also
look at school reading lists, since most of the books on them are good, and then I search for books on the
websites of publishing houses that I like. I also read lots of book reviews! Like I said, my Polish teacher has
helped me a lot with finding good Polish literature, but my other methods have proved fairly successful in
finding Spanish books. But I must say there is always a large element of hit or miss!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5900 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 15 of 134
06 February 2013 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Anki = 3319
Hours Studied = 58 (Total: 102)

I've been keeping to my 'warm-up rountines' (see post no.9), bar the odd slip-up on hectic days. And I've been focusing on declensions using'Basic Polish' grammar workbook by Dana Bielec and Oscar Swann's 'Polish Grammar in a Nutshell'.

I went to Grażyna's again on Saturday and spent an hour helping her partner brush up his English grammar. We had supper afterwards with several invited Polish families. It was a great opportunity to listen, although fast, unstructured conversation in a noisy environment is a real listening challenge. I slowly gained the confidence to utter some Polish - much to the delight (or horror!) of everyone. After a while, I noticed that everybody was going silent when I spoke, so I felt even more in the spotlight. But I struggled on and got some very encouraging feedback. Some of them couldn't believe that I knew certain unusual words.
However I found it difficult to sustain conversation in this situation. I still need the slow, one-to-one conversations without distractions.

Words of the Week
Kropić - 'to sprinkle' [LIQUIDS]. If I eat tomatoes, I slice them and sprinkle with lemon juice ('jeśli jem pomidory, kroję je i kropię sokiem z cytryny')
Sypać - 'to sprinkle' [GRANULAR]. I always sprinkle with sugar ('zawsze sypię cukrem')
Sam w sobie - 'in itself'. Soup in itself is not calorific ('zupa sama w sobie nie jest kaloryczna')
Kęs - 'mouthful' / 'morsel' bite.
Błonnik - 'fibre' cellulose. Dietry fibre = błonnik pokarmowy
Pod ręką - 'at hand'/'handy'. Have the spices to hand ('miej pod ręką przyprawy')

And after all these culinary references beware of....
Wzdęcie - 'flatulence'

Run-of-the-mill Track of the Week
Straight, down the middle rock with IRA - Parę Chwil ('A couple of moments' or 'A few moments')

Do zobaczenia.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5523 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 16 of 134
12 February 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Concerning the verbs 'kropić' and 'sypać'. They are often used with the preposition po-.
That's how you'd use them in the imperative. 'Posyp cukrem' ('sypnij cukrem' implies a large amount of sugar). 'Pokrop sokiem' or 'skrop sokiem' instead of 'krop sokiem' which implies a continuous action. The same goes for the past tense. 'Posypałem ciasto cukrem' and 'pokropiłem rybę sokiem'.

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version