Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4958 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 73 of 142
08 April 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Today's lesson was reading-only. I didn't listen to the tapes or write down the exercises. I was busy and couldn't do the lesson at home, so I did it on the bus. I'm still far from being able to translate from English into Russian, but I'm starting to get the hang of the cases, which is a good thing. I try not to attach words to their genders, but rather to their expected genders, and it's been working well so far.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4958 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 74 of 142
10 April 2013 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Today I took an important step into learning the Russian I want to know. I started using the textbook самоучитель грузинского языка by Нодар Натадзе. Even though I know more Georgian than Russian, by using this textbook I'm going to learn Russian textbook language, which is exactly what I need the most. I want to be able to use other textbooks for studying languages from the ex-USSR. i'm not much interested in learning to speak Russian right now, and literature is an ultimate, long-term goal that will take me several years.

This approach worked wonders for German (I'm using a textbook in German for learning Georgian), and if the same happens with Russian I will be more than happy.

I'll keep studying Russian from Assimil, though. It's just that now I have a greater practice time.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5050 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 75 of 142
10 April 2013 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
On my Russian log I just wrote a post with all the important Russian grammatical terms
that I've learned from this book, for future reference. So go check it out if you like!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4958 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 76 of 142
10 April 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I already did before I read this. Thanks! Quite useful.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4589 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 77 of 142
11 April 2013 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Hi Expugnator! I'm with you on the Russian team, and although it's super late in the
game, just wanted to wish you a good year, and not just language-wise! I like your
approach of solidifying a language through using it to study another, as is the case with
your German and Georgian.

On a side-note, where can I find your other language logs, say for Georgian? Thanks!

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5050 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 78 of 142
11 April 2013 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
If you go on someone's profile you can find all their logs. Under their name it says
"logbook."

Edited by zecchino1991 on 11 April 2013 at 3:24am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4958 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 79 of 142
11 April 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the support, zecchino. Here are direct the links for my 4 other logbooks:

Georgian Notes, Doubts and Tips
Endelig Norsk. Igjen. Alltid
French: Business, but not only
Papiamento cuts in line

===============

Today I did two lessons in a row at RWT (I always do so when there is a review lesson). Like I said, lessons get longer, and so do the exercises. I'm a bit lost with trying to do an active wave, and I'm basically just writing down the Russian text. As for the textbook about Georgian, I learned much more new vocabulary. I'm having trouble with syntax sometimes, but not as much as I thought I would have. I believe this vocabulary will soon become familiar, as the whole book deals with the same workfield.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4958 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 80 of 142
12 April 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
One more quick RWT lesson on the bus, no audio. The book already got to the most boring parts. What annoys me the most, though, is the bad character font at the Georgian textbook that prevents me from typing and translating the Russian words straight away.I'm getting a bit tired of it, no matter how it helps my Russian.

On a side note, I've come to the conclusion that it's better to translate sentences or expressions as a whole in order to get more accurate translations. This is the rule for most of the languages at Google Translator, but in the case of Russian the text translation sometimes is indeed fairly accurate. I remember I used to OCR the very same book and get some appropriate translations.

This discussion contains 142 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version