142 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 17 18 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6389 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 121 of 142
29 October 2013 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Aww glad you found it useful!
It says something of its quality that I've even done some French lessons...
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4499 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 122 of 142
29 October 2013 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
It's got lots of good native materials. I've used it for Russian and Hebrew myself (I
don't really need French anymore).

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6948 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 123 of 142
29 October 2013 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
A shame that there's nothing in Polish, Slovak or Ukrainian while my Turkish isn't high enough to get that much out of the simple stuff ;-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5126 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 124 of 142
30 October 2013 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
Expugnator - with such an elaborate study schedule I am not the least bit surprised that you feel some
degree of burnout. On a more positive note, you probably have some great results to show for your efforts.

Which Russian courses or study material have you finished?

And if Serpent (and I) are right in guessing the cause of your little break, I would like to offer you my most
sincere congratulations on your marriage. :-)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4958 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 125 of 142
30 October 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Thank you girls! Yes, you are absolutely right =D

I'e known GLOSS for a long time now, it is really comprehensive, just a bit beyond my
Russian skills for now. In fact, I'm leaving this type of resources for languages with
much less resources, so that I don't have to go over the same subjects again for
several languages...You know, a really freakish way of reasoning for someone who has
several languages on plans.

I've accomplished only the three Assimils so far, and am just about to finish an old-
school textbook which is written for Portuguese-speakers. It lacks translation, so I
think I'm going to benefit much from an attempt on modern textbooks such as Living
Language. Assimil wasn't really 'graded' enough like this previous one I am about to
finish, but on the other hand this one forces me to look up several words and thus
waste precious time. With Living Language (or whichever other book I choose before it),
both issues will be dealt with. i'm really not focusing on grammar, just on written
comprehension, and I do think I've noticed some improvement from the last book.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5139 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 126 of 142
30 October 2013 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Then congratulations are in order! Wishing both of you a lifetime of happiness and joy!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4958 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 127 of 142
13 November 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
So, it's been a week or two of many book/resource completions, which pleases me a lot!
It's nice to start fresh, new material which will bring up a new approach to a
language.

Russian
I'm finally done with Breve Manual da Língua Russa, an old-school textbook. I'll
probably start LL Beginner's tomorrow. I'm still at a point at which I can start from
scratch. I miss loads of details. After all, my goal is mostly for understanding.I
found an old TY Russian which works just like the ones I used for French and Norwegian,
which are languages at which I made good progress. It basically consists on grammar
explanations and translation exercises. It is the translation exercises that help me
the most to activate the grammar, the endings. So, if it works for my Russian the way
it did for my French (I think didn't bother doing the exercises for Norwegian) I may
expect to finally reach a B1 skill. Anyway, I'll consider using it after LL.

Norwegian
More on the Norwegian log, but I finished two resources: the Norwegian podcast lessons
and a book with stories for children.

Georgian
I'm trying to take more Georgian each day. Using a nice textbook and waiting for
another one to come.

Mandarin Chinese
I'm using the great textbook Étape par ètape which is a sequel to Méthode 90. Finally
being able to learn new words on-the-go and recognizing old ones. Sometimes I remeber
only character and no pinyin or just pinyin and no tone, which is good in the sense
that I'm giving the written language the necessary attention. Still using Tuttle
Flashcards and it is likely to finish sooner than expected, as I'm doing 20 pages (=10
characters) a day and also on most weekends.

Papiamento
Not much other than watching a daily video from Youtube and reading two pages from a
novel I bough at Curaçao. It does get easier and I look words up less frequently -
words that wouldn't hinder comprehension, anyway. I still have something ambitious in
mind for Papiamento.

French
This month's book is rather intense in terms of vocabulary, Traversée de la Mangrove,
but it is a very interesting story!

I'm itching for starting a new language, either on the maintenance/improvement side
(German) or a brand new one (Estonian). Let's see what TAC 2014 reserves!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4958 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 128 of 142
14 November 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
So, today I started Living Language. Lessons are long, and I am skipping the part of the
grammar which is obvious, while I'm still learning from the dialogues. I'm fully aware
that I don't really like Russian that much, because even with books I like a lot - like
Assimil and LL - I get tired of studying it pretty much soon. Now that I'm having longer
lessons at Russianpod , I can say I'm reading a total of 15 pages of Russian language
and explanations a day, and listening to a lot of audio, selvfølgelig. I do hope to
strengthen passive skills and then I'd feel 'free' to try another Slavic language.

This discussion contains 142 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version