Heptaglot
France
Joined 4448 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 89 of 94
11 July 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
As for medicine, the technical terms are certainly Latin and Greek, and used by medical doctors across the board. This makes using textbooks in foreign languages relatively easy. And as far as Spain is concerned, there is a huge catalogue of medical literature in Spanish, and medical students in Spain will overwhelmingly use Spanish course books and manuals.

I do agree that in order to stay on top of R&D in the field, you will have to be able to read scientific articles in English, but to study medicine and qualify as a doctor, it is not necessarily the case.
1 person has voted this message useful

magallanes
Diglot
United States
translatefromspanishRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3961 days ago

17 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish

Message 90 of 94
18 July 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
I say; In our country YES English is used widely BUT speaking in English on informal cases or under NORMAL circumstances (even in EOP ruled workplace) is some kind of a TABOO here - if you do that it's like you are being a braggart and some RICH KID speaking English when not needed. But getting English exposure is not badly looked upon but basically these dasy some Paris hilton wannabees would spit on our mother tongue and speak some crappy code switching English all the time -these are stupid people and let us not waste time on them.
Basically people who hate their native language will never have a chance with another language - learning language can actually make you appreciate the dynamics of your own language.
Cheers

wanderingbird
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3944 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Japanese, Portuguese, German

Message 91 of 94
03 August 2013 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
I must admit, I am a little bit disdainful towards English at the moment and regularly
say that I "hate" it. While I don't really hate it, I would much rather speak in Spanish
or try to speak in French. I feel like Spanish fits my personality a lot better than
English, if that makes any sense, and both are more beautiful than English in my opinion.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4062 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 92 of 94
03 August 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
I have to say, to me all languages are inherently beautiful in their own right, and I couldn't say I hate any language on Earth. I also can't understand people hating any language, much less their native one.

I must add that I sort of understand the situation where the native population hates the language of, for example, an occupying nation. This, however, is a case of projecting your hatred towards the occupier to anything that represents them, and hating the language doesn't make any sense as languages themselves are innocent of all crimes their speakers might commit. Alas, our feelings can't always be explained away with reason.

Edited by Henkkles on 03 August 2013 at 11:50am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4980 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 93 of 94
05 August 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
I love my native language and if I could choose, I would pick English anyway. I didn't always feel this way, but
over the last few years I have really begun to appreciate all the beauties and intricacies of my language. I'm
sure patriotism plays a role in my feelings, too. The only downside that I can see to having English as my
native is that so many people speak English better than I speak Polish or Spanish, so they want to converse
in English rather than in their own native languages. But this is hardly an insuperable obstacle!

That said, I think I would be happy having pretty much any language as my native. All languages have their
own good points, and I've never studied, or dabbled in, a language that I couldn't have learned to like. I am a
voracious reader, though, so I do think that I would be upset to have a native language without much of a
literary tradition. All the wonderful literature contributes greatly to my fondness for English. :)

Edited by Amerykanka on 05 August 2013 at 12:19am

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version