Betjeman
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

85 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 41 of 94
23 January 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
The Swedish language has got quite a bit of bashing in this thread, so it may be justified to add that
Swedish is an extremely beautiful language that would be worth knowing for its musical merits
alone. Apart from that, it has a very efficient grammar - simple but not oversimplified.

Sometimes, to me as a German, Swedish sounds like German as it should be spoken: softer, friendlier (I
know that this a fairly naive notion, and yet I can't help it). Anyone who belittles Swedish, native speaker or
not, needs to think again. Bellman, Strindberg and Lagerloef saw no reason to look down on their mother
tongue. If they didn't, why should we?

In a way, I'm looking forward to the day when English will have lost its dominance over other languages (it
happened to Latin, it might happen again). The English language will be better off, and millions of ESL-
speakers will have ample opportunity to find out that there is a lot more to learn about their first language
than they thought possible. As it stands these days, the more people that make do with 4000 words of
vocabulary in their native language, the more will feel perfectly fluent with 4000 words of English. Which,
of course, is an erroneous assumption.

Edited by Betjeman on 24 January 2013 at 4:15pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4136 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 42 of 94
26 January 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
That is a very interesting topic! Although I admit I would like to be a native speaker of English, I am very happy for having Spanish as my mother tongue. A lot of cultures use this language, and it makes Spanish a diverse and multifacetic language. Also, the diversity of Spanish does not prevent us from understand each other, no matter which variety of this language you speak.

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6170 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 43 of 94
17 June 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
I think it's a "wigger" phenomenom here in Sweden. Young people spend hours on end watching american tv-
series etc, and they think it's cool and try to imitate it. Many slightly older people, like 40+, in my experience
aren't really that great at English, or atleast have a heavy accent and use a lot of "svengelska".

I totally get the feeling though, as I get the same one when I embark upon new languages. For example
Dutch when I first heard it sounded like they took German and made up some silly words and dialect to go
with it. In the same way, Italian to me sounded like a "made-up" mix of other Romance languages, with
pompous, funny-sounding pronounciation. But as I get used to the languages I start appreciating the melody
more.

I agree on the loanwords issue, when I speak German or Spanish I really don't want to be using many English
loanwords at all, makes it feel like a pidgin or something. But when I speak my native language with friends I
unfortunately (?) mix in a lot of English. But I guess that if I spoke to somebody wanting to learn the language
I would make an effort to use swedish words only.
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4669 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 44 of 94
17 June 2013 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
I think most of us are just bored by our mother tongues. I guess it can be one of the reasons why we've decided to learn another languages.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4063 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 45 of 94
17 June 2013 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
I think most of us are just bored by our mother tongues. I guess it can be one of the reasons why we've decided to learn another languages.

I am actually endlessly fascinated by my native language. I read about it a lot and I love making up different ways to say different things in it and I'll explain the phenomena in it to anyone crazy enough to listen until they pass out of boredom. The more I learn about other languages the more aware I am of my own.

There are of course those people who are very negative like omg finnish is so silly and harsh and stale, but those are few and far between luckily, as far as I know.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4432 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 46 of 94
17 June 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
You also get people who glorify their native tongue and delight in telling you how difficult it is to learn. In some cases it's almost like hey look at me, I am a fluent speaker of the world's hardest language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4063 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 47 of 94
17 June 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
You also get people who glorify their native tongue and delight in telling you how difficult it is to learn. In some cases it's almost like hey look at me, I am a fluent speaker of the world's hardest language.

I don't know if that's a slash towards me haha but I don't think Finnish is harder than other languages really. The vocabulary is strange for speakers of IE languages, and that's the biggest issue I can come up with.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4669 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 48 of 94
17 June 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:

Smells like mild nationalism.

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version