United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4181 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 49 of 94
17 June 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
I don't know that I could say I like or dislike my native language. It's simply the language I grew up using and the language of daily life for me. I don't consider that to be good or bad. But I have no trouble admitting that I dislike its status. I've almost stopped learning languages on multiple occasions because seemingly every European I meet speaks English and there's very little point in continuing to learn German. I can't avoid it; if they're around my age, they've probably been learning English for 10-15 years, I've only been learning German for 5. They will likely always be ahead of me. So sometimes I think there really is no point in learning languages as an English speaker, because really, no matter where I go, somebody will be able to speak English. There are some definite advantages to that obviously; with few exceptions, I'll be able to travel anywhere, but I do wish I had grown up in a multilingual environment.
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4671 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 50 of 94
18 June 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Try Hungary. A cultural shock guaranteed (I say it from my experience).

watupboy101
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4715 days ago

65 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 51 of 94
18 June 2013 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
I dislike my mother tongue English. A couple things I find stupid about English

1. Stupid orthography, like to the point where native speakers can have serious trouble.
2. not phonetic (like #1)
3. Terrible stress patterns Elevator vs elevAtor how are we supposed to know the difference (Accent marks
needed at least)
4. Conjugation is not very regular (is, are, to be= same base, different persons)
5. Irregular vocabulary, such as words from different languages that mean the same but sound different.
(Vocabulary is so extensive its complicated)

These are just some of my complaints about English. But the thing that really grinds my gears about the majority
of people who speak English is that they are so arrogant that they question why anyone would want to learn a
language inferior to their own when everyone should just learn English. Don't get me wrong a universal language
would be cool, but not English for the reasons I listed above.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4671 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 52 of 94
18 June 2013 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Ad. 4: je suis, tu es, nous sommes, être; jestem, są, być; as you can see, it's not that strange thing.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4065 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 53 of 94
18 June 2013 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
What I find annoying about English is that all online translators translate everything via English, so singular you in a sentence almost always ends up as the plural you in the target language, even in verb endings. Also, the irregularity in verb patterns is very complicated and the lack of grammatical reflexivity really grinds me.

This is not solely a problem of English, but it's one of my favorite things about Finnish:
oppi - doctrine
oppia - to learn
opettaa - to teach (make someone learn)
opettaja - teacher
oppilas - pupil
opisto - institute, academy
opiskelu - studying
opiskella - to study
opinnot - studies
opetus - teaching, lesson (as in "we've both learned a lesson today.")

also in Finnish the word "opettautua" (reflexive of opettaa, 'have oneself be educated') can be understood even if you've never seen the word before because the morphological rules for this are regular (same with many other languages that have reflexivity.)

English is still a good language even with all the problems and shortcomings it has.

I think it would actually have been great to have been born a speaker of some minority language, having learnt it from my parents, then having learnt the major language of the country later and then English, however I'm still content with what I have.

mick33
United States
Joined 5736 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 54 of 94
19 June 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
When I began learning Afrikaans in 2007, I would sometimes think that any language would be more interesting than English. My attitude has changed and I now appreciate English as my mother tongue and the one I still use most often at least for now.

prz_ wrote:
Ad. 4: je suis, tu es, nous sommes, être; jestem, są, być; as you can see, it's not that strange thing.
I find it intriguing that the verbs which correspond with "to be" have irregular conjugations in every language I have dabbled with or am now learning. I wonder why that is? I also wonder if there are any languages where "to be" does not have irregular conjugation?

Edited by mick33 on 19 June 2013 at 9:18am

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4434 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 55 of 94
19 June 2013 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
I've almost stopped learning languages on multiple occasions because seemingly every European I meet speaks English and there's very little point in continuing to learn German. I can't avoid it; if they're around my age, they've probably been learning English for 10-15 years, I've only been learning German for 5. They will likely always be ahead of me. So sometimes I think there really is no point in learning languages as an English speaker, because really, no matter where I go, somebody will be able to speak English. There are some definite advantages to that obviously; with few exceptions, I'll be able to travel anywhere, but I do wish I had grown up in a multilingual environment.

Most Europeans don't grow up in a multilingual environment. Those that speak good English (or any other language) have to work hard on it. Whenever I go to Germany, I always meet lots of people who, if pushed, can get along in English but much prefer to speak German if possible. You just have to know where to look.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 56 of 94
19 June 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
And even those who do speak English really well often still prefer to speak their native
tongue. For example, whenever my ex-gf visited me here in the Netherlands, we spoke
English as a rule (her Dutch wasn't good enough for proper conversations) so that is what
happened. Now, this wasn't problematic from a logistical point of view; my family have
spent time in Canada and learning English here is pretty much mandatory; if you examine
my brother's English he would still be classified as "very, very good", especially when
it comes to speaking and understanding the language.

However my current girlfriend is Dutch, and he much prefers this because he still feels
more at ease being able to communicate in Dutch (even though his English is definitely up
to par). This is despite the fact he understands everything you can throw at him in
English except for complicated jargon.

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version