491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 1 of 211
13 February 2013 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Team: Schnitzel

Language: German

Introduction:

I'm a 55-year-old guy who sells car parts for a living and likes to play guitar. My grandma was of Swiss ancestry and jabbered Schweizerdeutsch to me when I was a small child. That must have planted some kind of seed because now, for no apparent reason, I've got an overwhelming desire to speak German to the best of my ability. I'm borderline OCD and have a one-track mind, which comes in handy for some things and totally sabotages others.

Goal:

To try to develop a real "feel" for the language so I can produce authentic-sounding German sentences more quickly and confidently.

Plan:

1. To read aloud all the German books I've got, but haven't read yet.

2. To listen to all the German audiobooks I've got, but haven't listened to yet and, should there be an accompanying word-for-word book, to read that aloud first.       

3. To watch all the German movies I've got, but haven't watched yet.

I haven't counted all the books, audiobooks and DVDs in question. Maybe I should. There's a lot of them.

I've been reading some of the posts here and I think I have an idea of what's expected. Hopefully I'll come up with something appropriate.

Edited by AlOlaf on 31 December 2014 at 3:36am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5637 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 211
13 February 2013 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
Ich wünsche dir viel Erfolg mit deinem Deutsch Lernprojekt, aber vergiss dein bisher gelerntes Dänisch nicht!

Viele Grüße

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4938 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 3 of 211
13 February 2013 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Danke, Fasulye! Ich liebe die dänische Sprache, aber ich fürchte, ich habe die Schwierigkeit der Aussprache massiv unterschätzt. Vielleicht wenn ich all diese deutschen Bücher gelesen habe und noch am Leben bin…

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5875 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 4 of 211
13 February 2013 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
I haven't counted all the books, audiobooks and DVDs in question. Maybe I should. There's a lot of them.

Yes, please do! Let's see a list :) I don't get to read much German other than my class materials and I'm also too busy with French. One day I'd like to have time to read all I want in German.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5637 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 211
13 February 2013 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
Danke, Fasulye! Ich liebe die dänische Sprache, aber ich fürchte, ich habe die Schwierigkeit der Aussprache massiv unterschätzt. Vielleicht wenn ich all diese deutschen Bücher gelesen habe und noch am Leben bin…

Auch ich hatte bereits 2003 etwas mit Dänisch angefangen und musste dann aber damit aufhören, weil ich verschiedene Sprachprüfungen machen wollte. Zum damaligen Zeitpunkt schien es bei mir auch noch beruflich aussichtsreich zu sein, sodass ich mich zusätzlich qualifizieren wollte. Generell ziehe ich es jetzt auch vor, mich auf nur eine Lernsprache zu fokussieren (aber die anderen Sprachen nebenbei anzuwenden).

Fasulye

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4938 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 6 of 211
14 February 2013 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Gee, I hope you weren't joking about wanting to see a list, Sunja, because here it is. These are all the books in German I possess, but haven't read yet. It's my goal to read them all before the end of the year. I read a chapter or two out of some of them and then flitted off to pursue other things. I’ve decided I'm not going to do that this time. As part of my challenge, I've made myself a rule: Once I start a book, I have to finish it before moving on to the next. Also, I have to read everything out loud.

I’d been working on the books in the Harry Potter series for a while already, so I'll continue with them. I've finished the first two and am several chapters into the third. I've also got the corresponding audiobooks. This is how I've been doing it: First I read the book aloud, then I burn CDs for that book and listen to them while I'm driving around in the car. Meanwhile I start reading the next book. I'm making this up as I go along and I'll change my method if I find something that works better.

Some of my books are translations and some were originally written in German. I saw where a celebrated polyglot said she thought it was absolutely crucial that the target language reading material selected by budding learners be something they find interesting. I kept this in mind when picking out books, so the lack of sophisticated cultural and intellectual content evident in some of my choices reflects my own concept of what’s interesting, a concept which may be regarded by some as plebeian and unacademic. Which it is. I'm not an academic. I like tanks and punk music and stuff. I just want to learn German.

Once I finish the Harry Potter series, I plan to read the following books, listed in my best-guess order of increasing difficulty. If it's a translation, there's a (T) after the title and if there's a corresponding word-for-word audiobook, theres an (A). Some have abridged audiobooks, but I'm not counting them because they drive me crazy. You'll be reading along and listening and suddenly you're reading something different from what you're hearing and then you have to stop the recording and try to figure out what they left out. I think that's for the birds.

1. Wer War Das?-Forscher und Erfinder - Christine Schulz-Reiss
2. Die Beatles-A Hard Day's Write: Die Storys zu allen Songs (T)-Steve Turner
3. Schönes Deutschland neu erlebt-Konrad Schubach
4. Der letzte Zeuge-Rochus Misch
5. Exgüsi-Ein Knigge für Deutsche und Schweizer zur Vermeidung grober Missverständnisse-Sandra Willmeroth und Fredy Hammerti
6. Panzer VI Tiger und seine Abarten-Walter J Spielberger und Hilary L Doyle
7. Deutsche in der Schweiz-Jörn Lacour
8. Hey Ho Let's Go-Die Story der Ramones (T)-Everett True
9. Gebrauchsanweisung für Norwegen-Ebba Drolshagen
10. John Lennon-Die Biographie (T)-Philip Norman
11. Traumberufe mit Fremdsprachen-Ulrike Beyler
12. Die große Enzyklopädie der Serienmörder (T)-Michael Newton
13. Der feine Unterschied-Ein Handbuch für Deutsche in der Schweiz-Bruno Reihl
14. Überleben in Zürich-Susann Sitzler
16. Gebrauchsanweisung für die Schweiz-Thomas Küng
17. Frau Antje und Herr Mustermann-Dik Linthout
18. Die Nürnberger Prozesse-zur Bedeutung der Dolmetscher für die Prozesse und der Prozesse für die Dolmetscher-Martin Meidenbauer
19. Please Kill Me-die Unzensierte Geschichte des Punk (T)-Legs McNiel und Gillian McCain
20. Humor des 20. Jahrhunderts-Heinrich Maria-Ledig-Rowohlt
21. Bildung-Alles, was Man wissen muss-Dietrich Schwanitz
22. Gerichts-dolmetschen: Grundrissen und -fertigkeiten-Christiane Driesen und Haimo-Andreas Peterson
23. Deutschland schafft sich ab (A)-Thilo Sarrazin
24. Deutsche Geschichte des 19. und 20. Jahrhunderts (A)-Golo Mann
25. 25 Jahre Bundesrepublik Deutschland-Pitt Severin und Hartmut Jetter
26. Das Wort: Grundriss der deutschen Grammatik-Peter Eisenberg
27. Der Satz: Grundriss der deutschen Grammatik-Peter Eisenberg

I probably have no business trying to read the last two. On closer scrutiny, they appear to be intended for extremely gifted native-speaking Germanists.

Edited by AlOlaf on 01 December 2013 at 10:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5875 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 7 of 211
14 February 2013 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
I probably have no business trying to read the last two. On closer scrutiny, they appear to be intended for extremely gifted native-speaking Germanists.

yeah, some of that stuff looks pretty heavy-duty, alright. The stuff I'm used to reading is soft and cuddly by comparison^^. I used to read Susanne Fröhlich before the Moppel-books. And I've read earlier works of Wladimir Kaminer because he would write about his first impressions of German culture. I like reading humorous observations from people that can use the language better than I can^^

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 8 of 211
14 February 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
A nice list, I wish you a lot of fun with these. And I guess I wouldn't be the only one interested, so let us know what you find in Traumberufe mit Fremdsprachen. :-)

This discussion contains 211 messages over 27 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version