United States
Joined 4936 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 137 of 163
01 January 2015 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
TAC 2015 starts here

I'm reluctant to cite specific goals for the coming year because previous TACs have shown that my two target languages, Danish and German, interact like dysfunctional tag team wrestlers. In tag team wrestling, only one wrestler per team is allowed inside the ring at any given time. While one is taunting spectators and body slamming the opponent, the other must remain outside the ropes and wait for his partner to tag him, at which point they trade places. By taking turns, the two wrestlers support and complement each other, with both enjoying a healthy mix of action and rest. So far, so good. Now imagine such a match where one of the wrestlers stays in the ring the whole time, refusing to relinquish his position, until his partner forgets what he's doing there, leaves the arena and catches a cab to a strip joint. This is what happens when I try to balance Danish and German. I just never know which one's going to do what.

Next up, more of the same.

Edited by AlOlaf on 01 January 2015 at 11:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 138 of 163
01 January 2015 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
What a nice analogy! I must confess the same happens with Norwegian and German! My only hope is that one of them is kept at a higher level so there is less interference, but then the best way is indeed to practice both a lot so I can think of each separately.

Welcome to the TAC 2015 at the Scandinavian Team! Feel free to drop by and ask for any help.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 139 of 163
01 January 2015 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
[...]Danish is a tough nut to crack. [...] understanding the enchanting verbal machine gun fusillades that Danes trade with each other during everyday conversation is proving to be exponentially more difficult. And to think that one day I hope not only to grasp the meaning of such exchanges, but also to participate in them by producing my own approximation of these fierce yet ethereal phonic eruptions. Guess I'd better pack a lunch. This could take awhile.

Danish does sound difficult compared to the other Nordic languages. Anyway, you’re clearly making progress: you’re practically the only veteran of Team Asgard who’s consistently posting in your TL. So congrats, great job!

Even though we’re officially teammates in the new Scandinavian team, it looks likelier I’ll follow your German log, as this one in Danish will certainly get harder and harder for me to decode as your Danish improves. In German we’re probably closer in skills, even though you’re much more courageous than me and regularly post in German. After consideration, I may rethink my approach to language learning and follow your example by actually writing in my TLs more often.

Lycka till med TAC’15!

2 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4936 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 140 of 163
02 January 2015 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
@Expugnator: Thanks for the welcome and for volunteering to be captain this year.

@Emme: Thank you for the kind words. You're something of a dedication/attention to detail role model for me and you're always so encouraging. I'll be very interested to see where you take it from here. Tillykke!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 141 of 163
03 January 2015 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
[...]
@Emme: Thank you for the kind words. You're something of a dedication/attention to detail role model for me and you're always so encouraging. I'll be very interested to see where you take it from here. Tillykke!

Thank you! I tried to do my best as team captain, but I’m happy to leave the responsibility behind this year. That doesn’t mean that I won’t try to do my best as a teammate but I’ll feel less guilty if RL catches up with me and wipes out the time I can dedicate to the forum.

Sooniye
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 3685 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Danish, Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Albanian

Message 142 of 163
03 January 2015 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
I am looking forward to follow your log and your progress in especially Danish, but German is
fine with me as well. Loved how you described the way these two languages interact (or refuse
to) with each other.

Best of luck in 2015!

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4936 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 143 of 163
03 January 2015 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, and good luck to you, as well! I'm intensely interested in seeing how you approach Danish. You
can bet I'll be following your log.

Jaynie
Denmark
Joined 5698 days ago

51 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Latin

Message 144 of 163
03 January 2015 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I am looking forward to following your log. I see that you had a nice trip to Denmark last year - it really is a beautiful country. I got a chuckle from your description: enchanting verbal machine gun fusillades. Indeed!

This discussion contains 163 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version