Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4109 days ago

47 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French
Studies: German

Message 1 of 3
20 February 2013 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
I was wondering, mostly out of curiosity, about non-English programs that are better than their English alternatives. I've heard that Assimil offers more courses with French as their base language than with English, and people in another thread are saying that L'Allemand is better than German with Ease. Surely there must also be some terrific Italian books for learning Czech, or Tagalog tapes for learning Japanese, or Volapük Flash games for learning Solresol...

Does anyone know about any such programs? Have you used them successfully?
1 person has voted this message useful

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4457 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 3
20 February 2013 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
More than 20 years ago, I was using the ...pro samouky (...for self-learners) books and cassettes in addition to my course books in addition to the books used in the courses. I am still using them for reference. I simply got the newest edition where available.

Usually, these are still among the better materials for language learners in Czech. You need a ton of additional audio, but the layout and explanations are very clear. We were using this book in college for French up to somewhere around B1/B2 level.

Then, there is "Mluvník". This is a fantastic resource for sentence mining, showing differences between the two languages. Here is a sample image:

If you look carefully, you can see that for the Czech word "stačí" it gives very different translations. I find is very valuable when starting to learn a language.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6956 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 3
20 February 2013 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Take a look at the following threads:

Other series similar to Assimil?
Best monolingual language courses
Courses for Basic Fluency?
Best Single Language Publications
Learning L3 via L2?
Using non-native languages...

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version