A bit of anything - living languages

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
109 messages over 14 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4085 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 105 of 109
26 June 2015 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:

I think it is difficult to lead a truly poliglot life in Norway. As a native Englsih
speaker, you may first of all find it hard to practise your Norwegian, as most people
have a decent level of English. In most work places, you would have to be able to work
in Norwegian, although in certain big companies with lot of expats, like in the oil
industry, the working language is de facto English, and there are expats in
e.g. the "oil city" Stavanger who spend years in Norway without learning more than
basic Norwegian. If you specifically work with immigrants or asylum seekers, you may
be able to use various languages in your job, but overall Norway is a pretty
homogeneous society. However, having lived for so long outside of Norway, I may not be
the best person to answer. Solfrid Cristina would certainly have views on this, but
lately it seems that she is too busy to engage actively with the forum, which is a
shame. Cristina, if you read this, you should know that we miss you.

I had a feeling that it would be like that. Luckily I pretend to be a non-Anglophone
native Hispanophone these days, so we shall see how it go next time I go to Norway :)

With a chemical education background I heard a lot about Stavanger as well as how many
like to go to the reknowned "offshore" drilling compounds in the North Sea, but I was
looking more at Bergen or somewhere in Vestlandet, although I cannot complain about
really anywhere. Anywhere in continentual Europe is better than here.

You have a Spanish wife and live in France, so you have two languages that are
essentially necessary in daily life. It sounds harsh, but I was thinking about this
too, but having a wife that does not know my native language (English) would probably
help a lot more linguistically than having for example, a British or Australian wife.
the reverse is true for her too, I would be more helpful linguistically than someone
who has the same native language as she.

To be honest, the "downsides" seem more like "upsides" to me. More personal feeling of
course, because the less that I can use English the better. I feel like we are being
looked (we native Anglophones) as the "dummies" for whom everyone has to learn our
language because we are just incompetent at languages.

I met a lot of Norwegians in the UK. Newcastle must be a Norwegian hub, because there
are so many there. I met more people from Kristiansund and Stavanger than, for
example, Leeds, or Liverpool! It was an unsaid feeling though that British (or
American, Canadian, Australian, or NZ) people cannot learn Norwegian, but the opposite
is true.

You do have a unique and enviable lifestyle--immersion in two languages. I try forced
pseudo-immersion, although reality comes back quickly when this syttende mai I
wanted to celebrate and my Anglophone friends had no idea what the hell that date
meant.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 27 June 2015 at 12:03am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4434 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 106 of 109
29 June 2015 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
I've never held the view that English-speaking persons should somehow be worse at learning languages than others. If so many Brits and Americans are monolingual, it is probably more down to the education system, and the fact that they don't need a second language in their daily life.

Having a partner who doesn't know your language obviously gives you an advantage, as long as you know your partners language. It will mostly be a one-way street though. When my wife lived with me in Norway for a year, she did learn some Norwegian, but not from me. Although we tried to practise Norwegian together sometimes, it just felt strange and we quickly returned to speaking Spanish.

I am afraid syttende mai is not as known around the world as 4th of July or quatorze juillet, so not surprised if your friends wondered what you were on about.

Josquin wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation! I really enjoyed the sketches. If you like Russian comedy, Кухня would be an excellent TV show for you to watch.

By the way, пельмени aren't really dumplings, but some kind of pasta similar to Italian tortellini. They're usually served with sour cream. Here's the Wikipedia entry, which also has pictures. I don't think I'm going too far when calling them one of Russia's national dishes.

Thanks for the information about the пельмени, maybe I should try making them some time. I've heard about Кухня, but I haven't got around to watching any episodes yet. However, as I know Polydog has published transcripts, I'll look for the show on the net to see if I can find it, whenever I have the time to do so.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 107 of 109
29 June 2015 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:

However, having lived for so long outside of Norway, I may not be the best person to
answer. Solfrid Cristina would certainly have views on this, but lately it seems that
she is too busy to engage actively with the forum, which is a shame. Cristina, if you
read this, you should know that we miss you.

Thank you for the nice words, Ogrim. I have indeed been feeling like the proverbial
wall is racing towards meeting me, so I have just focused on surviving, I am sorry if
it has felt like I have been abandoning you guys :-)

I am sure it would be possible to live a true polyglot life in Norway as well, given
the right life choices (working in a Norwegian company, married to a Spaniard, a
Frenchman or a Russian), and with lots of friends from different places.

I use English mostly at work, Norwegian with a few of my friends and Spanish with a
whole lot of my friends. I should definitely be on the look out for someone who is a
native French or Russian speaker as my next partner :-) my Spanish is well taken care
of by my friends, and I get enough English exposure at work, and I think the same
would go for anyone with an international job.

But I agree with Ogrim, that one of the obstacles in Norway, is actually that everyone
speaks English. You would have to really insist on speaking Norwegian, and I would
recommend working a lot on pronunciation. Some people don't care, and when I meet
Americans who in spite of having lived here for 20 years, working in Norwegian, and
having a Norwegian wife and kids are close to incomprehensible because of a very heavy
American accent, I am not impressed.

But you are not the only one to be a little bit envious of Ogrim :-)

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4434 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 108 of 109
10 July 2015 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
I just added Romanian to the list of languages I study. To be honest, I don't know how much time and effort I will be able to put into it, but it has been on my mind for some time now that I really should pick it up again. When I studied Romance Philology at university, I spent a couple of years learning Romanian in parallel with my other languages (Spanish, Italian, French, Latin and Greek) and I really enjoyed it. I was even at the point of going to Bucharest for a summer course, but for various reasons it did not happen, and after I finished my studies I did not do anything to maintain it. That being said, if I look up a Romanian text I can still make some sense of it, even though I have forgotten a lot. So even if it is 25 years since I actively engaged with the language, I have not totally forgotten everything.

I do not have an elaborate study plan. For the time being I will blow the dust of my old Teach Yourself Romanian, and an even older Romanian grammar book written in Swedish back in the 1970s and spend some time browsing through them to refresh what I have forgotten about Romanian grammar. I need to purchase a new Romanian dictionary, and I'll also look around the web to see if I can find useful stuff there. And then later on I'll start working on "real" texts, whether it is news on the web or literature.

My aim is first and foremost to be able to read Romanian, any active skills would be a plus, but it is not my priority at this stage.

2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 109 of 109
10 July 2015 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I'll be looking forward to following along with your Romanian journey, Ogrim. With all your Romance languages, and now Russian, to help, I'm sure you'll make rapid progress.

This discussion contains 109 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version