Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 17 of 52
17 April 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
OneEye wrote:

There is much more to language than grammar. A good tutor can tell you when you're phrasing things in an
awkward or non-native sounding way, for instance. You're not likely to pick up on that sort of thing on your own
without years and years of using the language at a high level. At least, according to the research (which makes a
lot of sense to me).

As someone who is only intermediate in a second language, I can only rely on my knowledge of my L1 here. But what I found as I started writing professionally was that what really mattered was not low frequency words, but a really detailed understanding of high frequency words, which I could only achieve by reading a lot. And I don't think you need to read high literature to get there. I mostly read scifi which was find to build up a decent vocabulary.

My vocabulary in English is actually reasonably high, but sad truth is that it really doesn't matter whether I know 15000 words groups, 25000 word groups or 50000 word groups in English. When I write I have to use words that others understand, so you end up using high frequency words where ever possible (in spoken language this is much more pronounced as the vocabulary is much more restricted). What matters is that you have a very precise knowledge of these high frequency words.

I don't believe a tutor in any reasonable time period could have taught me subtle differences in the use of various words. Reading did.

I do wonder about the 17 year figure to reach competence. I find that surprisingly long at one level, at another it seems completely reasonable. It seems reasonable as 17 years language study in your L2 is equivalent to a native of say 22 years of age. It seems odd, as I know plenty of people who have achieved this level in less than 17 years in English, but of course this may not apply to Europeans learning Asian languages. What were the L1 and L2s of the people in the study you mentioned?

I also think that the 17 year figure must cover a lot of sins. Many of the people in the group will be hanging out in bilingual communities, using their L2 to a greater or lesser extent. Some people will be getting a lot more L2 input by reading, others not reading much at all.

Edited by patrickwilken on 17 April 2013 at 8:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 18 of 52
17 April 2013 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
17 years? Even though I'd be happy with B1 at Mandarin, that is quite discouraging. Anyway, they didn't take into account how much exposure you get nowadays thanks to the internet: chatrooms, youtube videos, text chatting, Skype, sites with billingual translations. I think the middle ground is still the approach I'd take. I've been studying Chinese for almost two years with little result and sometimes I think I had better look for my former tutor back in 2005, who opened his own school, but then I don't have time or money or a priority for that right now. I still am optimistic about reaching a satisfactory level in 5 years, the one that would allow me to watch a movie, read short stories etc. I don't know what I'd do next, but for other languages I'm considering informal instruction for a while, like hiring a tutor for French.
1 person has voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6662 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 19 of 52
17 April 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
One reason I like the ILR scale is that it describes specific thing that you should be able to do at each level of
proficiency. Granted, it's fairly skewed toward professional needs at the expense of some daily life things, which I
think is a fairly natural state of events around ILR3-4. I only recently learned how to tell someone that their fly is
down in Chinese, for instance, even though I can talk ancient phonology and excavated texts to no end. Then
again, the latter is why I'm in Taiwan in the first place, not the former, so I can accept having to say "your pants
aren't done right" (褲子沒有弄好) when a native would say "your pull-chain hasn't been pulled" (拉鍊沒拉). But
that's just me. :)

Anyway, here's the description of reading ability at ILR4:

This page wrote:
Able to read fluently and accurately all
styles and forms of the language pertinent to professional needs. The individual's experience with the written
language is extensive enough that he/she is able to relate inferences in the text to real-world knowledge and
understand almost all sociolinguistic and cultural references. Able to "read beyond the lines" (that is, to
understand the full ramifications of texts as they are situated in the wider cultural, political, or social
environment). Able to read and understand the intent of writers' use of nuance and subtlety. The individual can
discern relationships among sophisticated written materials in the context of broad experience. Can follow
unpredictable turns of thought readily in, for example, editorial, conjectural, and literary texts in any subject
matter area directed to the general reader. Can read essentially all materials in his/her special field, including
official and professional documents and correspondence. Recognizes all professionally relevant vocabulary
known to the educated non-professional native, although may have some difficulty with slang. Can read
reasonably legible handwriting without difficulty. Accuracy is often nearly that of a well-educated native reader.

I'm not sure one could cheat his way to that ability. At this point, you're either there or you're not.

Quote:
What were the L1 and L2s of the people in the study you mentioned?

It varied. I believe most were native English speakers, but there were native speakers of other languages as well.
Target languages varied, as the author simply looked for people who had achieved ILR4-5, no matter the
language. Given the fact that her own language of expertise is Russian, it does seem to me that Russian learners
are over-represented in the study versus in real life.

One thing mentioned in the study was that nearly everyone mentioned broad, extensive reading as being
absolutely critical to achieving that level. I think we can assume that that's across the board, both people who
participated in "Beyond-Three" type programs and those who didn't. So I think it's safe to say that while it doesn't
seem to play much role in how quickly one reaches that level, it is a crucial element of your study plan if you
plan on reaching it whatsoever.

Of course, you're free to pick up the book and read it for yourself (it was US$15 for me brand new), and then
decide whether you believe it or not. Leaver has a lot of other books out there on the subject, and there's a group
of other authors she works with frequently who have also written extensively on the subject.

Quote:
Anyway, they didn't take into account how much exposure you get nowadays thanks to the
internet

What they took into account was what the participants said had worked for them in reaching that level. Since the
study was conducted nearly a decade ago, and given the average "time-to-proficiency," if you will, I think it's safe
to say you're right.

Then again, most of the participants had lived, worked, and/or studied in their target country for years. The
internet is no substitute for that kind of exposure, and I don't really see what it has to do with it anyway.
Watching a movie in your VCR or DVD player is not any less effective than watching it on YouTube. Listening to a
radio play on a cassette tape is no less effective than on an iPod. I don't believe the training programs at FSI, for
example, have gotten any shorter since the internet became popular. They're still churning out ILR3 students at a
steady rate. It's easier for a self-studier to find the materials now, granted, but there's no reason for the amount
of exposure you get to them to be different once you have them in your possession.

Edited by OneEye on 17 April 2013 at 8:32pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 52
17 April 2013 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I think systematic review is needed as some "details" or less used things get lost over
time. And as you are mostly using the language at this point, you are often not corrected
and therefore might "unlearn" some pieces of grammar.

I find systematic study useful during preparation for language exams. My usual input
doesn't provide me with vocabulary and phrases related to some areas and therefore I need
to cover the gaps differently. It worked as well when I found myself using too basic
vocabulary all the time and the gap between known and used vocabulary kept getting wider.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 52
18 April 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
I also think that the 17 year figure must cover a lot of sins. Many of the people in the group will be hanging out in bilingual communities, using their L2 to a greater or lesser extent. Some people will be getting a lot more L2 input by reading, others not reading much at all.

As far as I can tell, relatively few people trained by FSI ever reach ILR 4. From reading some blogs written by FSI students and the chapter on advanced students in Achieving Success in Second Language Acquisition (written in part by FSI staff), I get the impression that most FSI students rarely spend more than 5 years on a tour of duty (and usually only a couple), and much of that time is spent living and interacting with fellow English speakers.

So this would be a very different situation than, say, a post doctoral student who immigrates to a new country in their late 20s, works professionally with locals, and lives with locals. People like that often make it from a solid B2 to C2 (at least in speaking and listening) inside of 3 years of round-the-clock immersion, especially if moving between European languages. Their biggest weakness tends to be writing, because most of them just haven't read enough books. (With papers to publish and possibly kids to raise, who could?) If you give them 20 years and assume they're voracious readers, then a significant fraction will become nearly indistinguishable from natives, except perhaps for a faint accent. And their accents will, in many cases, be closer to the regional standard than a native speaker from another part of the country.

That said, the authors of Achieving Success in Second Language Acquisition claim that it's possible to significantly decrease the time required to reach near-native levels though targeted study. This certainly sounds plausible: Even native speakers can, say, vastly improve their writing skills if they make a focused effort and get lots of feedback.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6282 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 22 of 52
18 April 2013 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
FSI students may not reach ILR 4, but they are required to reach ILR 3 before they go
abroad, or their deployment will be delayed until they are at that level, meaning
significant loss of income. I taught several of them and it's amazing: they started in
September and by June/July they were ready to take the ILR 3 exam in German.

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6662 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 23 of 52
18 April 2013 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
This certainly sounds plausible: Even native speakers can, say, vastly improve their writing skills if they
make a focused effort and get lots of feedback.

Precisely. You reach the level of "educated native speaker" in your own native language through a combination of
wide reading and targeted instruction. I know I had to take English classes in high school, and they
consisted of literature, grammar instruction, and writing. We were required to write research papers every
semester, which would come back to us with comments from the teacher. University students in the US generally
have to take English Composition in their first year of undergrad. There is, generally speaking, a huge difference
between the level of eloquence, in both speaking and writing, that a university-educated speaker of English has
versus one who did not graduate high school. I'm sure the same is true in most major languages as well.

To my mind, thinking that you can just "enjoy" your way to such levels in a foreign language is absurd. For one
thing, standards for what constitutes good writing differ greatly between cultures, and that isn't something you
can easily just pick up through reading.

In the Leaver book I mentioned above, fully 76% of of those interviewed had earned a foreign degree, mostly
master's and doctoral degrees, though there were a few who had done a bachelor's. They all said they felt it was
one of the key factors in reaching near-native proficiency, because their instructors corrected their work as if
they were native speakers. I personally find this very instructive.

Edited by OneEye on 18 April 2013 at 2:07pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 24 of 52
18 April 2013 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

That said, the authors of Achieving Success in Second Language Acquisition claim that it's possible to significantly decrease the time required to reach near-native levels though targeted study. This certainly sounds plausible: Even native speakers can, say, vastly improve their writing skills if they make a focused effort and get lots of feedback.

My own writing got vastly better when I wrote my doctorate. I was lucky enough to have a youngish professor as supervisor who was worried I would show him up, so he gave me tons of feedback on my writing. And if you write everyday for six months and are getting constant critical feedback of course your own writing improves.

However, it seems to me that writing is both a general skill that generalizes across any particular language (the way arguments are made etc), and a more specific sense of the subtle differences between (often high frequency) words and phrases. It's not just about using the appropriate word, it's about using an appropriate word that carries with it a sort of invisible halo of other words and phrases. You use a certain word because you believe it will lead the reader in a certain direction. And this more subtle feeling for a language comes from having wide experience of the language (from reading and listening) and from knowing its high and low culture.

I remember reading an interview with Andre Brink who writes in both Africaans and English, that he would sometimes lose entire chapters in translation when he rewrote his books from Africaans to English, as he felt that a direct translation sounded too emotional. But that could only come from a really deep feeling for the language.

I am sure targeted critical feedback is helpful, but it's no substitution for lots and lots and lots of immersion in the language.

Edited by patrickwilken on 18 April 2013 at 3:56pm

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version