Diglot
Japan
Joined 6662 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 25 of 52
18 April 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I don't think it's "either/or" here. Nobody ever said you don't need "lots and lots and lots of immersion." What I'm
saying is that in addition to that, instruction helps. And according to the data, it seems to help a lot.
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 26 of 52
18 April 2013 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
OneEye wrote:
I don't think it's "either/or" here. Nobody ever said you don't need "lots and lots and lots of immersion." What I'm
saying is that in addition to that, instruction helps. And according to the data, it seems to help a lot.

Sure. I am not really disagreeing with you, but I guess I have somewhat different experiences.

I used to work in an International graduate program here in Berlin in which English was the the official language and dealt with a lot of C1-ish level English speakers. And the best thing they could do to improve their English was to read trashy books and watch movies. I have seen people go from C1 to a good C2 in a reasonable amount of time doing this, and have never thought these people would really have been helped that much by targeted tuition.

That's not the case for writing, but I am not sure here whether this has so much to do with basic language skills as to do with more generic writing skills.

Edited by patrickwilken on 18 April 2013 at 5:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 27 of 52
18 April 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
OneEye wrote:
[...] You reach the level of "educated native speaker" in your own native language through a combination of wide reading and targeted instruction. I know I had to take English classes in high school, [...] There is, generally speaking, a huge difference between the level of eloquence, in both speaking and writing, that a university-educated speaker of English has versus one who did not graduate high school.

Exactly. If you think about it, an "educated native", by definition, has been educated. Seems reasonable you'd have to do some study to reach the same level. Yet somehow most language learners reject that very simple notion ;(

Quote:
I'm sure the same is true in most major languages as well.

You bet. The funny thing is, getting more proficient at the higher levels of a language mostly consists in stuff that's not language-dependent. I'm sure few educated learners will sound "uneducated" or not well-read in their TL unless they are somehow kept from advancing (lack of time, etc.).

Quote:
To my mind, thinking that you can just "enjoy" your way to such levels in a foreign language is absurd. For one thing, standards for what constitutes good writing differ greatly between cultures, and that isn't something you can easily just pick up through reading.

You can certainly "enjoy" your way to such levels, but without guidance, chances are it'll take you bloody ages if it ever happens. However, I'm not so sure "good writing" differs so greatly between cultures. Looking back, most of what I read as a kid (and I read a lot more than most adults) was in translation, and as an adult I confirm it was all great stuff, if not the best "linguistically" or "literarily". BTW I was guided through most of my early reading by my parents, especially my father.

Quote:
[...]76% of those interviewed had earned a foreign degree [...] They all said they felt it was one of the key factors [...] because their instructors corrected their work as if they were native speakers.

Moral of the story: if you settle for less, you'll never get more :)

patrickwilken wrote:
My own writing got vastly better when I wrote my doctorate. I was lucky enough [...]

In my parents' generation, you were proficient at writing by the time you could attend college, or you wouldn't access it, period. However, seeing how badly many doctors and thesis students write nowadays, I see what you mean.

Quote:
However, it seems to me that writing is both a general skill that generalizes across any particular language (the way arguments are made etc),

Which is what makes for "good writing" in the wider sense, i.e. things like avoiding repetitions, properly explaining and connecting ideas, etc. -- language independent.

Quote:
and a more specific sense of the subtle differences between (often high frequency) words and phrases. It's not just about using the appropriate word, it's about using an appropriate word that carries with it a sort of invisible halo of other words and phrases. You use a certain word because you believe it will lead the reader in a certain direction. And this more subtle feeling for a language comes from having wide experience of the language (from reading and listening) and from knowing its high and low culture.

But again, this a thing that only differs in word choice from one language to another. Once you acknowledge thoughts can't be translated word by word, there's no reason why you would do this in your own language and not in another (unless you fail to see that, which would imply you're not clear how your own language works -- hey, exactly why many natives are not at the "educated native" level). One of the things that really frustrate me when using a foreign language I'm not proficient at yet is how constrained and limited I feel because I can't express myself as richly and freely as I would in others. It also motivates me to keep studying :)

Quote:
[...]I am sure targeted critical feedback is helpful, but it's no substitution for lots and lots and lots of immersion in the language.

Sure it's no substitute, it's a better replacement. ALL natives undergo lots and lots of immersion, yet few reach the "educated native" levels, certainly not the aforementioned 76%. Why? Education, maybe? ;) OTOH almost all proficient learners went through systematic study of one or the other kind at the higher levels of proficiency. Again looks like a hint to me...

Edited by mrwarper on 18 April 2013 at 5:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 52
19 April 2013 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
I used to work in an International graduate program here in Berlin in which English was the the official language and dealt with a lot of C1-ish level English speakers. And the best thing they could do to improve their English was to read trashy books and watch movies. I have seen people go from C1 to a good C2 in a reasonable amount of time doing this, and have never thought these people would really have been helped that much by targeted tuition.

That's not the case for writing, but I am not sure here whether this has so much to do with basic language skills as to do with more generic writing skills.

Trashy books give you vocabulary. Quality books improve your style. My experience totally matches what the AJATT guy says, that you have to read a lot in order to write well. Corrections are not enough without reading.

Quote:
Exactly. If you think about it, an "educated native", by definition, has been educated. Seems reasonable you'd have to do some study to reach the same level. Yet somehow most language learners reject that very simple notion ;(
Most things natives learn are pretty basic; plenty of them are more obvious to learners too. I agree that to a high degree sounding educated is "transferrable" between languages, and once again it's more about how much you read, even among native speakers. I'm sure everyone knows people whose writing makes them look uneducated. The opposite is quite rare in the modern world (ie being literate and having access to books, but not being able to go to school), but I think it's theoretically possible to learn to write well (in your native language) by reading.

Edited by Serpent on 19 April 2013 at 2:25am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 29 of 52
19 April 2013 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
[...]I agree that to a high degree sounding educated is "transferrable" between languages [...] but I think it's theoretically possible to learn to write well (in your native language) by reading.

Mmmh. When I say "education", to me that means a LOT of work outside school (as well as inside, but you would typically expect to get more 'interaction' in there), and most of it *is* reading. Actually, I think the reason why the 'feedback at higher levels' that has been mentioned seems so important for some people (or really necessary for some others I know) to achieve language proficiency is that they didn't read a whole lot in the first place. Which makes sense if you think about it: unless you retain very little of what you read, that has to be key in modelling your use of language, especially in your early days. If you didn't have so much data against which to model your language back then, well, you need to wait for that 'high level feedback' when you interact with other 'educated' people to sound 'educated' yourself. Tough :)

So, I think you get to an 'educated' level basically by reading a lot, and if that fails, interaction with educated speakers can suffice to fill in the gaps at a later stage (like people starting to sound 'educated' while getting a PhD). However, if by 'reading' you mean 'random reading', I will only agree with the theoretical possibility, but I'll dub it 'unlikely'. You need much filtering, and being guided means someone else is doing the filtering for you. If they're any good you'll be saving a lot of time.

Of course there are strategies to do the filtering on your own, but reading only stuff you like just won't do it, unless you happen to like exactly what's good for you ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 30 of 52
19 April 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

Of course there are strategies to do the filtering on your own, but reading only stuff you like just won't do it, unless you happen to like exactly what's good for you ;)

I guess we have different views on this. I think my L1 language skills are fine, without having had a tutor to guide me, and just having read things I like.

This is just a personal style thing, but I can't stand the idea of letting someone decide what I should read in a language.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 31 of 52
19 April 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
I guess we have different views on this. I think my L1 language skills are fine, without having had a tutor to guide me, and just having read things I like.

This is just a personal style thing, but I can't stand the idea of letting someone decide what I should read in a language.

I think you misunderstand me. Guidance *is not* telling you what to read or how to write. Do you think my parents ever did that? It is so much better to teach children how to wisely use their freedom than it is not telling them what to do.

Granted, everyone is mostly happy with their L1 skills, but does that really mean anything? Is everybody equally proficient in their L1? Certainly not. What you need to ask yourself is how fine your L1 skills are compared to most others, and why you are [no] better than them.

To me, the main difference between native and foreign languages is you usually start working on the latter too late. In addition to being way less exposed to it, as a teenager you're more likely to become resilient to guidance (or even worse, as an adult), which in turn will only slow down your learning. OTOH if you enroll in achieving something difficult in a foreign language environment in a set time, you have pretty much no choice but let yourself be guided (unless you're some sort of genius).

So, back to square 1: should we be surprised at all that correlation between proficiency and foreign degrees is so high? :)

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4701 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 32 of 52
19 April 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
I cannot think of a single field of knowledge where "systemic studying" does not help at
advanced levels. I don't see why learning languages would be any different.

This includes our native language, especially when it comes to writing.

Edited by kanewai on 19 April 2013 at 7:55pm

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version