Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 1 of 25
15 April 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Many of us who have tried less commonly learned languages know that a Bible translation is often the only native resource you will find with a translation on your source language as well. This is my case with Papiamento, and, even if it's not the case with Georgian (I have other sources), I feel that using a familiar text like the Bible will help me get more familiarized with the language sooner.

So, I got one and the same edition of the Bible with its Papiamento, Georgian and Portuguese editions. I thought of doing a little of each of these two languages and only resorting to the Portuguese answer key when necessary. That is, I'd read one page in Georgian till I got tired. Later on that day, I'd read the next page in Papiamento. That way I'd keep the text going. I'm assuming all the translations have up-to-date language, and so it's not a bible in Ancient Georgian we're dealing with.

But then I always fear that I'd leave the most "safe" resource for another language I'd have even less resources for. Like, if I'd read the entire Bible, I wouldn't read it again if I decided to learn a Bantu language for which I only had the Bible as well. That's the case with Le Petit Prince: I just read it in Georgian and in French, and I wouldn't stand reading it in Amharic even if that was my only source.

So, that's my dilemma. I do think it will be helpful for both languages but I fear I'd waste an important resource. Is there a secular alternative to the Bible? Maybe a website that gets translated quite often? (though I still prefer books, novels are even better).
1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6471 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 25
15 April 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
The problem with the bible is that the language is far from the same that people speak – so there is a possibility that
you learn very weird and archaic suff. It's also totally derived of cultural context for your source language, as the
context of the bible is the judaeo-christian early traditions in the middle east and the Mediterranean. The purity
laws and the genealogies are plenty in the Old Testament and the new is albeit full of beautiful analogies still very
hebraio-graecocentric. Very often when translating the bible entire idioms and expressions are translated literally
rather than ideomatically.

leroc
United States
Joined 4123 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 3 of 25
15 April 2013 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Pros of using the bible:

-Solid translations that are meticulously rendered
-Important idioms and cultural phrases originated from the bible "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" "Am I my brothers keeper" "Oh ye of little faith" "A wolf in sheep's clothing"
-High probability of an audio book
-Many different chapters provide variety
-Many people have at least some knowledge of the events of the bible, which could help provide an idea of the contents

Cons of using the bible:

-Possibly boring
-Occasionally difficult language (depends on the chapter)

Edited by leroc on 16 April 2013 at 12:03am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 4 of 25
16 April 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
It's waaay far less translated than the Bible itself ;) Besides, I did read it, and I don't like to go through the same story again.

I don't know, I think it can be useful. I can disregard the anachonicity of the text and make good use of it, already tried. It's much easier to retain vocabulary when you already know the context.

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4741 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 5 of 25
16 April 2013 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
The Bible is a very long and very dense book: you may find that you can't remember all
that happens, which means it'd be fine to read through again, particularly if you're
reading it in different languages.

However, I would second the caution that it tends to use very formal language and ideas,
even if it's not an old translation. Of course, I have a Bible App on my phone, which
means that I get to read it pretty much any language I could want, and when you're low on
materials to work with, that's definitely worth something.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5187 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 6 of 25
16 April 2013 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
Not only are there thousands of translations, but there are thousands of audio books of the bible. Faith Comes by Hearing has many of them as free downloads here.

Also, there is the Jesus Film Project with 1182 different languages here.

For people who want to learn obscure languages I cannot imagine a better resource.

Edited by James29 on 16 April 2013 at 2:51am

7 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5074 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 7 of 25
16 April 2013 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
I'll second James 29. I enjoyed Genesis for Haitian Creole in both audio and text.

For other books in Papiamento Lista di buki na Papiamento pa mucha en tre 4 - 12 aña

I was curious myself, after having tried to locate resources in Haitian Creole, and found Fundashon pa Planifikashon di Idioma with a list of books available (not for download) in Papiamento with ISBN numbers.

You can also have a look at the collection of the Digital Library of the Caribbean- browse by collection There is some material available from the ABC islands in Papiamento. The dLOC can be difficult to navigate. I found a ton of stuff for Haitian Creole there. If you can't directly download, you can print a copy to pdf with the print icon.

Boa sorte!

Edited by iguanamon on 16 April 2013 at 4:06am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 25
16 April 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Hmmm, do you like reading the Bible is honestly the question here. It's a book like any
other and it does have a serious boatload of translations, so that's good - the problem
is that I wouldn't really want to be caught reading it because people will think you're
some religious nut.

But if you like good old-fashioned horror stories, go for it!

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version