Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 25
16 April 2013 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Long ago I made some bilingual printouts using the machinery at Lexilogos (a site which also has the most versatile virtual keyboard I know of). I stopped doing it because the Bible text in itself mostly will err on the conservative side even in modern editions, and the translations used at the site are mostly dusty old venerable ones with a phraseology and vocabulary to match. Instead I have turned to machine generated translations in spite of their high error level. I didn't fear being converted (that won't happen), and being mistaken for a devout christian is also a minor risk, at least where I live.

Edited by Iversen on 16 April 2013 at 11:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

SnowManR1
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5300 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 10 of 25
16 April 2013 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
You’re not alone. I use the Bible method quite regularly and currently do this for German, Italian and Hebrew. In all my searching there has never been a greater paralleled text resource then with the Bible. Plus there’re usually only 2-3 editions (excluding English) to choose from in the target language, so you don’t have to worry so much in regards to picking a revision too far from modern day English.

I think Italian has 3 editions (only 1 being modern), German had 1 (I think) and Hebrew had one as well, but its well worth your time to verify which one corresponds to your native language version. Also let’s not forget how organized the Bible resource is with each line labeled by verse and under each chapter, which makes reading the two side-by-side as a paralleled text a breeze.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 11 of 25
16 April 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
mikonai wrote:
I have a Bible App on my phone, which
means that I get to read it pretty much any language I could want, and when you're low on materials to work with, that's definitely worth something.

Which app is that? The same as bible.is?

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 12 of 25
17 April 2013 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Hmmm, do you like reading the Bible is honestly the question here.

That pretty much sums it up. There are other parallel language resources out there for commonly taught languages, so I think it has more to do with the approach rather than using the Bible in particular.

Edited by Talib on 17 April 2013 at 2:34am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 25
17 April 2013 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Let me try to sum it up.

In favor of using the Bible:
It has been translated into just about every language on the planet
It has a fixed structure with books and verses
It is available both online and on paper
There are already several bilingual systems available
Quotes and expressions from the Bible have entered a lot of languages

Against using the Bible:
The language in most translations is conservative, if not downright antiquated
You will almost certainly be comparing two translations, not a translation and an original
Some persons may not want to be associated with the Christian religion

For me the first of the three arguments against using it weighs quite heavily, whereas I live in a country where it doesn't matter whether I'm seen with a bible or not. On the Pro side the main theme is the easy - and often free - access to the text. And for some languages it may even be difficult to find other texts (but then you might ask yourself why you want to learn those languages in the first place if you can't find anything to read in them).

There are alternatives like internationally acclaimed literary works like Harry Potter, Wikipedia, certain homepages with parallel multilingual versions etc., but often these alternatives cost money and for some languages they may even be difficult to get outside a specific geographical area. So even though I'm not religious I think that using the Bible is a relevant shortcut to getting really long parallel text samples - as long as you also use sources that illustrate the current state of your target language(s).

Edited by Iversen on 17 April 2013 at 10:31am

3 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4490 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 14 of 25
17 April 2013 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Talib wrote:
There are other parallel language resources out there for commonly taught languages, so I think it has more to do with the approach rather than using the Bible in particular.

The topic is precisely about not so commonly taught languages... in which the Bible may well be (one of) the only book(s) available for parallel study.

tarvos wrote:
The problem is that I wouldn't really want to be caught reading it because people will think you're some religious nut.

And if you read Harry Potter, people will think you want to become a sorcerer?

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 25
17 April 2013 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
tarvos wrote:
The problem is that I wouldn't really want to be caught reading it because people will think you're some religious nut.

And if you read Harry Potter, people will think you want to become a sorcerer?

This particular line of discussion is risks turning into a religious argument, which our administrator has kindly asked us to avoid. So rather than discuss the historical plausibility of the Bible, or what people might think if they catch you reading it, let's focus on the Bible as a language-learning tool.

Interestingly, the Gothic language (the earliest attested Germanic language) is preserved primarily in a few Bible fragments. These fragments supposedly are not that good a translation: The grammar is said to be noticeably influenced by the Greek source material.

This brings to mind a second question: When you use the Bible to learn a language, is it (a) your only parallel text, or (b) the only written text available in the target language at all? If you can find other native texts and a half-way decent dictionary, you can dispense with parallel texts quite early in the learning process. But if you're learning a language where there's virtually no written material at all, I'd presume that you'd normally have some access to actual speakers (or be willing to settle for a very low level).

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 25
17 April 2013 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
In some places reading the Bible in public may be downright dangerous, but here we are probably talking about study at home in presumably safe countries. But reading Harry Potter in public might also be seen as a sign that you are a hopeless nut case with a penchant for sorcery. If you suddenly become totally absorbed in reading stuff from some religious or political organisation then your family may also become worried about your mental sanity, but then you just tell them that you are studying the language and that you aren't going to be a preacher or terrorist or stockbroker or fan of some popstar - then that problem should be solved. They have probably already accepted you as a language learning maniac.

Btw. fearing to be associated with a certain religion is one thing, but this discussion should focus on the use of the Bible as a linguistic source. This discussion will at the very least be closed if it turns into a discussion for or against Christianity (or religion in general).

Edited by Iversen on 17 April 2013 at 4:38pm

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version