United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 17 of 25
17 April 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:

The topic is precisely about not so commonly taught languages... in which the Bible may well be (one of) the only book(s) available for parallel study.

Biblical translations may be one of the only things available in some of the less common languages, but I still think it depends on whether you enjoy using the Bible to study. There usually isn't a compelling reason to study an obscure language, so studying it would mainly be used to satisfy one's linguistic curiosity. If it doesn't do that in an enjoyable way, then why not choose another language?

Edited by Talib on 17 April 2013 at 2:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 18 of 25
17 April 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
I'm happy about all the concerns presented and the attempts to keep the discussion
linguistically. I've reflected upon this a lot and came to the following conclusions:

a) Being a diglossic person (Brazilian Portuguese) I think I won't have much trouble
spotting archaic syntax. I can always refer back to the Portuguese translation to be
sure.
b) Vocabulary is always vocabulary. Even at those more archaic sentences there are
real,concrete words still used.
c) The uniqueness about the Bible is that I'm already familiarized with portions of its
text even though I haven't actually read it front to back. I really dislike reviewing
and I wouldn't read a book a second time just for practicing languages. No Harry
Potter. So, the Bible works as a compromise about the unfamiliar and the well-know
texts. I've tried Le Petit Prince with Georgian and I wasn't familiar enough with a
text so as to take profit of reading it in an unfamiliar language, EVEN with a
translation.
d) The Bible has a Portuguese translation and it's a book for which I don't really care
about the originals. Le Petit Prince also had a Portuguese translation, but I would
contradict myself if I read it Portuguese/Georgian after studying French so hard for
being able to read the French classics in the original. The same goes for Jules Verne's
books and several others I got in Georgian, for example.
e) We're talking about less-commonly learned languages. Even though I have loads of
Georgian books, I still can't attack them and make a good use of them even with
translations, as Le Petit Prince showed me. As for Papiamento, I don't have books on
it. I plan to buy some when I go to Aruba and Curaçao, that accounts for the reading
skills. As for listening, there's plenty of videos out there. I could always use news
items but I find them boring for daily routine study and prefer to leave them for once
in a while. I work better when I have a book from which I can read a few pages each day
and thus have a deadline, I find it more motivating.
f) The Bible is long and even if I decide to read the Pentateuco in Georgian, there's
plenty of books left for me to read in Tetun or Amharic. That's not the case with Le
Petit Prince.
g) I don't fear being converted and I can always skip parts I feel more uncomfortable
with =D
h) I live in a country where it doesn't matter if you're seen with a Bible or not, and
that's not quite the point, because I'll be using PDFs in split-screen on a desktop. In
the case of Georgian, people won't have an idea what the text is about =D

So, I'm going to wait for a few weeks before I make a test, as currently I'm already
busy with other resources.
3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5187 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 19 of 25
17 April 2013 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
The Bible is a great resource for all the reasons listed above... particularly for the more obscure languages.

I have three parallel Bibles in English/Spanish. And they are at different levels. The New Life version is very very basic and has a vocabulary limited to 850 words (excluding names and places). The Dios Habla Hoy is a great translation and is fairly easy to read for an intermediate... and it has a free audiobook too. The New International Version is more challenging to read.

One thing to consider with parallel texts is to consider the translating sources of each language. For my Spanish parallel Bibles I find the New Life and New International have translations very similar and it makes it very easy to use the English to determine unknown prases or words. The New Life Spanish version was translated directly from the English version. I believe the NVI was also. This makes using it for language learning wonderful. However, my DHH uses the Good News translation as the English and it is much more different than the DHH because the DHH was obviously translated from some other version.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 

Message 20 of 25
17 April 2013 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
One thing to consider with parallel texts is to consider the translating sources of each language. For my Spanish parallel Bibles I find the New Life and New International have translations very similar and it makes it very easy to use the English to determine unknown prases or words. The New Life Spanish version was translated directly from the English version. I believe the NVI was also. This makes using it for language learning wonderful. However, my DHH uses the Good News translation as the English and it is much more different than the DHH because the DHH was obviously translated from some other version.

I think that I would be more inclined towards using the Bible if I were to learn the Biblical languages like Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic to access the source texts. However, if I were learning Spanish, for example, I would much rather use an English translation of Don Quixote or a translation of an easier piece of Spanish literature to help decipher the original text rather than use a Spanish translation of the Bible that was translated from an English translation and perhaps from other translations before being translated from the oldest Biblical manuscripts. That is because I can't help but feel that I would get a more authentic taste for the culture of the target language by accessing the culture on its own terms and from its own tradition of texts.

Edited by Talib on 17 April 2013 at 10:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 21 of 25
17 April 2013 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Litterature in the target language is an ultimate goal, Talib. In the meantime, though, I still think a familiar text would be a more efficient tool, at least for me. For example, it will take me much time till I can read native Georgian even in the few cases when I have an English translation.

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 

Message 22 of 25
17 April 2013 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Litterature in the target language is an ultimate goal, Talib. In the meantime, though, I still think a familiar text would be a more efficient tool, at least for me. For example, it will take me much time till I can read native Georgian even in the few cases when I have an English translation.

You have a good point. If you are already familiar with the text, it should be easier. In that regard, since I am personally more familiar with the Koran than I am with the Bible, I could likewise consider using it as an intermediate step to access the literature of another language.

Edited by Talib on 17 April 2013 at 11:02pm

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4240 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 23 of 25
19 April 2013 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
Just a note on the archaic language - you can get Bibles with modern day speech. I understand that this might be a
little more difficult for uncommon languages, but it should still exist. It's not all forsooth and behooven and thy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5353 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 24 of 25
20 April 2013 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
I May have missed this so forgive me if I did. While the bible, for good or for bad, has been translated into
more languages than any other text you will, especially if you're using one of the tens if not hundrads of
English translations, run into lots of mistranslations. This us not just true of individual words, but whole
concepts.

Now if you're trying to learn biblical Hebrew or Aramaic there wouldn't be a major issue if your L1 is
English (the same may be true for Italian and a handful of other languages as well) because of ths sheer
amount of theological and scholarly published debate on the matter. If you, on the other hand, are learning
Tagalog from a bible the likelihood is that the Tagalog translation wasn't an attempt at one from the
origional text but from a Spanish translation.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version