Diglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 1 of 23
23 April 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
If, for example, I only want to learn French and German for reading purposes, and I only
have a half hour a day to learn them, what is the best strategy? Would it be better to
use the half hour to concentrate on a single language until some proficiency is reached,
or is it possible to study each of them for 15 minutes a day. Of course, it would be
possible at times for me to study more than a half hour a day, but I want to set a
minimum that will be easy to keep in place over a period of time.

How would you go about tackling both languages? Would you prefer to do them at the same
time or would you prefer to concentrate on one?

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 23
24 April 2013 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Make more time by cutting down on your native language (books, TV, computer, music - everything). You can't learn two languages in half an hour a day. You can start from that, though - I recommend starting an Assimil course in one of them, maybe the weaker one.
Also, like with everything in life - experiment. After 15 minutes I generally feel like my session has finally started, and I'm in the state of flow. On the other hand, if you start losing concentration at this point and have a feeling that you waste the time when you try to continue - stop trying.
There are also other combinations possible like 20+10.... and 29+1 hehe. all those +1... +2...+3 can amount to another 30 minutes. (use your dead time)

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 

Message 3 of 23
24 April 2013 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
You can't learn two languages in half an hour a day.

Even though a half an hour a day experiment for these two languages might be interesting, I think it would ultimately be a waste of time if there aren't any expected results. Since I'm not willing to give up some of the beneficial activities that are unrelated to learning languages, I would have to limit myself to one for the time being. However, for the sake of argument, what would be the minimum amount of time that would be necessary to study both of these languages for reading knowledge?

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4089 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 4 of 23
24 April 2013 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
I don't know the lower boundary, and I have never heard about it. The minimal amount of
time I have heard people discussed is 15 minutes, but I am not sure whether this would
work for everybody. It works for some such as a small group of advanced learners here
and Prof. Arguelles.

Two quotes from the professor:

"Here, in actual practice 15 minutes a day in isolation is probably too little to
sustain a long-term quest. In answer to the point raised by Mr. Frenkfeld, I concur
that even 30 minutes of one language is unlikely to sustain the momentum required to
get firmly grounded in it over a 6-year period. For that, yes, I completely concur
again that at least 1 hour a day is necessary."
- from Time Management
(http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp? TI D=7748&PN=0&TPN=2)

"When learning a language: fifteen minutes a day, every day, over a period of years
will certainly bring results if you have the requisite patience. You need to put in at
least half an hour a day in order to feel your progress, however, and an hour a day
would probably even be preferable. After you have gotten to an “intermediate” level, if
you can add the intensity of even more time for a given period, this can only help the
overall learning process, though this is not necessary if you can maintain
systematically regular study habits."
- from Long-term learning plans
(http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp? TI D=7363&PN=4)

What was he conveying? You may argue over "momentum". From my personal impression, it
is generally believed in this forum that one should better think twice before starting
a new language if s/he cannot devote at least half an hour to achieving the goal. That
said, time-slots of 15 minutes is still perfectly respectable, especially for the
busiest ones who nonetheless would like to learn something. But you have to take the
risk, for intensity, too much or too little, might affect the results.

P.S.
Dear moderators, please excuse me for posting the links directly. I don't know why but
the URL function does not work for me these days.

Edited by Paco on 24 April 2013 at 11:15am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 23
24 April 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
What are those activities? You can listen while practising sports, cooking or painting... or almost anything apart from meditation. Just because you're more interested in reading, don't disregard listening. It's important and it'll simply make reading less tiring if you pronounce things correctly in your head.
As for reading knowledge, the tricky thing is that while it's easiest, if you don't develop it, it's also the easiest to lose, secondary only to the phenomenon described as "tuning in" to a related language. After you've learned to read, you need to have time for reading.
The more you read, the easier your learning will be. Not only faster, but easier. It's repeatedly compared to sliding, climbing uphill (especially a hill covered with ice).

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4345 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 6 of 23
24 April 2013 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
Talib wrote:

Even though a half an hour a day experiment for these two languages might be interesting, I think it would ultimately be a waste of time if there aren't any expected results. Since I'm not willing to give up some of the beneficial activities that are unrelated to learning languages, I would have to limit myself to one for the time being. However, for the sake of argument, what would be the minimum amount of time that would be necessary to study both of these languages for reading knowledge?

The Foreign Services Institute estimates about 1000 hours of study to get to C1-ish level in German. So at 1/2 hour per day, you'll only need 5.5 years. However, I suspect things are a bit non-linear, in the sense that studying more than 1/2 hour per day is probably more efficient. However, you obviously don't need to get to C1 level to read, but I would guess you'll need to study for a 2-3 years at least before you start being able to pick any sort of useful book.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 7 of 23
24 April 2013 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
If you want to read, you'll be discouraged after less than a year. Use parallel texts and pick up an interesting book after 1-2 months at most.

Also, I think with Prof Arguelles it's an important factor that he was learning many languages. There's synergy involved, for example if you do 15 mins of Italian in the morning and 15 mins of Spanish in the evening, it will feel a bit like revision. The related languages will keep each other fresh in your memory. Whereas if you only do 15 mins once a day, you'll forget more by the next day.

Edited by Serpent on 24 April 2013 at 1:44pm

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 

Message 8 of 23
25 April 2013 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
What are those activities? You can listen while practicing sports, cooking or painting... or almost anything apart from meditation.

Most of the activities have to do with studying classical Arabic and related activities. So basically, the suggestion to use the time while exercising and doing similar things is good, but that time is already taken through activities such as listening to lectures in Arabic. Here 30 min. a day is about all that I am really willing to set aside on a consistent basis. Otherwise, it will impede on the other things that I am doing.

Edited by Talib on 25 April 2013 at 6:12pm

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version