51 messages over 7 pages: 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 17 of 51
26 April 2013 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
$10,000 to spare

You can do it for much cheaper.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 18 of 51
27 April 2013 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
I think I may have solved the Rosetta Stone paradox. The question isn't really whether RS sucks. The question is really whether it is the right fit for the user. Let me explain. We can take as a given that self-teaching programs are just learning tools. To really learn a language, you have to do much more than just use one of these tools. This probably explains why somewhere between 90% and 99% of people who buy self-teaching products never finish them.

My understanding is that a lot of research went into the development of RS. The marketing may be overwhelming, but there is some science behind RS. Plus there is the online lessons with a native speaker. Some people like RS because it fits their learning style. Most people give up, not because the program is that bad, but because they give up trying to learn a language, period.

Edited by s_allard on 27 April 2013 at 6:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 51
27 April 2013 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
I don't think RS is the best "main resource" for anyone. Khatzumoto needs 10,000 sentences to learn without grammar books and dictionaries (not 100% without them either, he just uses L2 ones). How can RS teach you anything useful in less than 500 sentences?

People who consider it a good resource would do better with using their own flashcards (or even a shared deck), with pictures instead of translations if they really want. And those who like the online lessons feature would do better with a more flexible teacher who can adapt to their needs and preferences.

If I had 10k to spare I'd buy booksbooksbooks and travel!

Edited by Serpent on 27 April 2013 at 1:54pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5058 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 20 of 51
27 April 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I would even add that the lack of true success stories, youtube videos, etc. exist for all the self-study products out there.

Success story Assimil- emk, granted, Assimil was what gave emk the foundation to "take his French to the next level" but that's all any self-teaching course will do- give you a foundation. Some foundations are stronger than others. To really learn a language, one must go beyond courses and start using the language interacting with native-speakers and native materials. That is a tried and true method that has worked for me and a heck of a lot of others. I think this applies to both self-learners as well as formal class participants. A course gives you a foundation. You must build on that foundation yourself. That's where both self-learners and formal course students often fall down.

That's why I find the lack of success stories with RS disturbing. They are so ubiquitous in their presence that there should be plenty of people saying "I used RS to get me to where I could read French on my own and have basic conversations and then worked with Buffy dvds to get me to the next level".

People give up on the courses they've bought because the dedication required to learn a language is just a little too much for most to bear. That dedication is what will get someone through even the most "boring" material. Dedication, motivation, persistence is worth 100 times the cost of RS, Assimil, Teach Yourself or Pimsleur.

Edited by iguanamon on 27 April 2013 at 2:16pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5141 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 21 of 51
27 April 2013 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Like I've said before, I've used Rosetta Stone and like it. It can indeed be a very useful resource. However it isn't worth a tenth of the asking price, and anyone considering it should be aware it is at best a complement to your main study textbooks -never a replacement for them- and that by itself you'll achieve only very modest progress.
4 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 22 of 51
27 April 2013 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:

Success story Assimil- emk, granted, Assimil was what gave emk the foundation to "take his French to the next level" but that's all any self-teaching course will do- give you a foundation. Some foundations are stronger than others. To really learn a language, one must go beyond courses and start using the language interacting with native-speakers and native materials.

I didn't know about Assimil when I started learning German about nine months ago. I had done a series of Goethe Institute courses (A1, A2, and B1) here in Berlin a few years before. It was a night course, designed for working professionals, and so it was even more compressed timewise than other courses. I am pretty confident at the end of the course perhaps one person out of the fifteen felt that they were actually learning German.

I kept the books and when I came back to German a few years later I used the same textbooks, and inputed every sentence and every word into Anki, taking about a week per lesson. I stopped by the time I was halfway through the A2 lessons as I could already start interacting with more complex materials.

The big differences between my first attempt and the second: motivation; time; a real effort to learn vocabulary; using sentences in Anki to learn grammar.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 23 of 51
28 April 2013 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
I agree wholeheartedly with @iguamon. but I would like to add that the lack of true success stories with RS is no different from that of most self-teaching products. Now, Assimil has a series of promotional videos that feature testimonials by users, but not in the target language, mind you.

Although not on the scale of RS, Pimsleur has been waging a major marketing campaign lately that promises to have you speaking a language in 10 days. Most people at HTLAL don't believe this hype, of course, but this sort of outlandish claim is typical of the self-teaching language industry. RS may be the most egregious but is not very different from the other products. I have yet to see a video of somebody saying: "This is what I can do after completing course XYZ."

Again, without wanting to defend RS, I would say that in its latest incarnation, it probably satisfies enough people to explain its continued existence and success.
1 person has voted this message useful

Eternica
Triglot
United States
Joined 4868 days ago

24 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English*, French
Studies: Hungarian, Spanish

Message 24 of 51
29 April 2013 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
jondesousa wrote:
Rosetta Stone spends a significant amount of money on marketing
which leads unknowing consumers to believe it works but as with every RS thread on this
forum, I have yet to hear of a person that has made significant progress in any
language (even A2 level) after investing serious effort in it.

A "significant" amount of money on marketing is a HUGE understatement.

If you look at the 10-K reports of Rosetta Stone (ticker symbol RST), you will find
this (it's in thousands of dollars)

Year 2012:
Sales and marketing: $151,646
Research and development: $23,453

Year 2011:
Sales and marketing: $161,491
Research and development: $24,218

Year 2010:
Sales and marketing: $130,879
Research and development: $23,437

This Rosetta Stone regularly spends over 600% more on sales and marketing than on
improving their product. Now, don't get me wrong: I recognize the tremendous importance
in marketing and I am a student of marketing myself.

However, when you have such a poor product as Rosetta Stone, I am very unhappy to see
them not spending significantly more effort on improving the many gaps present in their
product.

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version