Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 41 of 51
06 May 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Of course the reality may differ but it is at least some kind of lead and usually much better than the usual
"intermediate" "advanced" etc. Which could, and often did, mean quite anything

Well, I understand they don't know and care about the CEFR scale, that is normal. But I just don't get how
could they not care about a list of actual contents of the course. Do they not care about what will the next
level bring new or whether the course will trully give them what they are looking for? Or are they usually just
so rich that they can afrord to throw money without caring where? This is like buying a car knowing just that it
is a Honda and it is red.
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6699 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 42 of 51
06 May 2013 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
But I just don't get how
could they not care about a list of actual contents of the course. (...) This is like buying a car knowing just that it
is a Honda and it is red.

It's not as uncommon as we might think. When I buy a phone / laptop / camera etc., I spend at least a day on reading specifications, reviews, opinions on forums etc. Usually, it's much longer than a day. I rarely buy a book without having read its reviews. I don't book a hostel without having read its reviews in a few sources etc.

And yet I know people whose whole specification of the phone is e.g. "nice and white" (and maybe the brand, or not even that). I would say most people are really not interested in the exact content which is included in the course. They want to learn the language up to level X, period, and they trust publishers (or teachers, for that matter) that they know what they're doing. They want someone to guide them, and I don't find it all that surprising although it's not how I function.

Edited by Julie on 06 May 2013 at 9:45pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 51
06 May 2013 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
OK, I haven't had a close look at RS since maybe... April 2008.

How detailed should the specifications be? Key elements like numbers, prepositions, colours etc.? Grammar topics? A transcript of the sentences which the buyer could have a look at beforehand? (Just kidding about the last one... "Wait a secoooooond... so THIS is what I get for paying hundreds of dollars!?")
2 persons have voted this message useful

Betjeman
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5939 days ago

85 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 44 of 51
15 May 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
OK, I haven't had a close look at RS since maybe... April 2008.

How detailed should the specifications be? Key elements like numbers, prepositions, colours etc.?
Grammar topics? A transcript of the sentences which the buyer could have a look at beforehand? (Just
kidding about the last one... "Wait a secoooooond... so THIS is what I get for paying hundreds of dollars!?")

They used to have their complete curriculum online (in pdf. format, including every single sentence in the
course). I'm not quite sure if they have removed this feature, which would be a shame. If they didn't, it is
probably to be found in the support section. Apart from that you can always get a rough overview of the
course contents on their website, pretty much as with any other publisher.

I used to employ those files for some kind of Assimil-style second wave by donwloading the curriculum in
my native language as well as in the language I was learning and back-translating from L1 to L2. Since the
course contents are more or less identical with any language, it worked out quite well.     

Edited by Betjeman on 15 May 2013 at 12:17pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 45 of 51
15 May 2013 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
The rough overview doesn't tell anything. Last time I checked, they gave only a list of
about ten very vague tourist topics ended with "and a lot more" or similar sentence and
that was their rough overview of five levels, each paid separately. So, with that little
info, RS is currently not worth either the 3GB of my harddrive to download it to from
torrents and, more importantly, my precious time for such an experiment.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Betjeman
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5939 days ago

85 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 46 of 51
15 May 2013 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
The rough overview doesn't tell anything. Last time I checked, they gave only a list of
about ten very vague tourist topics ended with "and a lot more" or similar sentence and
that was their rough overview of five levels, each paid separately. So, with that little
info, RS is currently not worth either the 3GB of my harddrive to download it to from
torrents and, more importantly, my precious time for such an experiment.

Apart from your advocating copyright infringement, I suppose you get a lot more info from the back cover
of an Assimil/Michel Thomas/Pimsleur/Paul Nobles/Whatever course? By the way, did you have a look into
their website if those curricula are still available? Oh well, I'm not really interested, since this kind of
argument is downright ridiculous.    

Edited by Betjeman on 15 May 2013 at 3:55pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 47 of 51
15 May 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
After using a major search engine:
http://resources.rosettastone.com/assets/ollc/1206992387/ass ets/pdfs/curriculum_texts/rs/level_1/ENG.pdf

Substituting the level number and the language code will result in more hits...
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 48 of 51
15 May 2013 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Betjeman wrote:
Apart from your advocating copyright infringement,
Nah, that was just debunking the myth that we all hate RS because we don't have enough money for it. Many can get it in a library or via torrents (and that's where many get Assimil too), yet we still don't want to, even with money out of the equation.

Seriously, RS, give up. It would take interesting insight and A LOT of active participation in the non-RS threads before we listen to any employee of yours.

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version