Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4391 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 25 of 49
01 April 2014 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
General correction for most of your phrases: don't forget to capitalise the first letter of each sentence.

Now for the single sentences:
agantik wrote:
2. se potessi, impararei tutte le lingue nel mondo, ma sfortunamento non è possibile!

No need to use a comma after <se potessi>, <imparerei> and <sfortunatamente>.

agantik wrote:
3. se avessi molti soldi, comprarei un castellino nel sud della Francia.

Although <castellino> is correct, I would say <piccolo castello>. Also <comprerei>.

agantik wrote:
6. se tu andassi al letto alle dieci, non sarei cosi stanco.

<a letto>, <saresti> because you are referring to the second person singular, not the first.

agantik wrote:
9. La chiamareste se voi aveste il suo numero.

If the subject is the same, <voi> in this case, you don't have to repeat it since it's already clear from the verb <chiamereste> that you are referring to the second person plural.

agantik wrote:
10. La situazione economica sarei migliore se il presidente cambiasse la sua politica.

<sarebbe>.

agantik wrote:
11. Pagerebbe se avessi ricevuto la carta delle tasse.

<Pagherebbe se avesse> (third person) or <Pagherei se avessi> (first person) and <la cartella delle tasse>.

agantik wrote:
13. Se non farai attenzione, non avrai mai soldi alla fine del mese.

It would be better to say <non ti rimarranno mai dei soldi alla fine del mese>.

agantik wrote:
16. se volessero ottenere un' aumentazione, dovrebbero lavorare di più.

<un aumento>.

agantik wrote:
17. se non avro mai idee, dovro fermare quest' esercizio.

<Se non mi verranno altre idee> or <Se non avrò altre idee> <non potrò finire/concludere>.

agantik wrote:
18. se io non volessi più fare dell' errore, domandarei a suzukaze di correggere le mie frase!

<non volessi sbagliare> o <fare degli errori> and <frasi> since it's plural. (I'm always happy to help ;))

agantik wrote:
20. non ho piu niente idee, anche se lo volessi.

<Anche volendo non ho più idee> or <Anche volendo non so più cosa scrivere>.
3 persons have voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4424 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 26 of 49
01 April 2014 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Wow, you really answered fast, thanks a lot! Now I think I've got some things to learn ;)!
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 49
01 April 2014 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
suzukaze wrote:
agantik wrote:
Thanks a lot for your corrections! One question though : I thought the past participle could be in the feminine form if the (feminine) object was before the verb "avere "(as in French).

It can be in the female form with the verb <essere>, such as in <Sono andata a fare shopping ieri> (Yesterday I went shopping) or <Sono rimasta emozionata dal suo discorso> (I was touched by his speech), but not with the verb <avere> :)

This was something I was unsure about too. Assimil, which I learnt most of my basic Italian from, basically said that the French-style past participle agreement with avere is correct but very much optional in normal speech. I had a search and found a page on Accademia della crusca, which suzukaze mentioned on my log as a great source for grammar questions, and it seems to basically be saying that both (agreement and no agreement) are equally valid. Although I was corrected another time for making the agreement and told that it sounded "more natural" without agreement. And from listening to Italians I hear both but I'd say no agreement is a bit more common. From all that, I'm a bit confused but I'm probably inclined to not make the agreement now.

Also I sometimes mix up sarei, sarebbe, etc. for some reason. Maybe because in French the forms are the same, at least in terms of pronunciation.

Edited by garyb on 01 April 2014 at 6:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4424 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 

Message 28 of 49
02 April 2014 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
Interesting and good to know, thanks!

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4391 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 29 of 49
02 April 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
And from listening to Italians I hear both but I'd say no agreement is a bit more common. From all that, I'm a bit confused but I'm probably inclined to not make the agreement now.

I think this is one of those cases where the choice boils down to personal preference only, especially when both options (agreement and non agreement) are correct and used.

Edited by suzukaze on 02 April 2014 at 10:20pm

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4424 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 

Message 30 of 49
15 April 2014 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
Time flies!
I enrolled in the April learning challenge with the hope to get a good start for the super challenge next month
but I did little apart from listing the 500 words or so I want to learn. I'll soon be on holidays for a few days, I'm
convinced a few days' rest will give me renewed motivation!
I had time to read the epistolary crime story (interesting literary form) Acqua in Bocca. Of course, I intend to
speed read all the Italian books mentioned in my log for the super challenge (should be faster the second
time around!)

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4424 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 

Message 31 of 49
30 April 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
So it´s official now, I've just committed myself to reading 5000 pages and watching 100 films in Italian, plus
reading one book in German (snail pace) and one in Norwegian (what´s slower than a snail ?)! Seeing that I
have just failed the learning challenge for this month, I must be either crazy or very very optimistic (I prefer
the latter!)
I will try to keep track of my progress (or lack thereof) in this log.
As a start, I plan to reread one or two children's books (aimed at 10-12 year old children), then as far as films
are concerned, I' ve got the first five seasons of Friends dubbed in Italian, so I think my plate is full for now!

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4424 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 

Message 32 of 49
27 June 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Time for an update !
Films 3 so far so roughly 270 minutes
- la Grande Bellezza
- Caccia al tesoro (Montalbano)
- Ho sposato uno sbirro (puntata 1), a nice mix between rom com and crime story, and it is easy to
understand because the action is set in Rome ( with a lot of beautiful views from the city)

Podcasts. 70 minutes

Books
I 'm in the middle of Il Tribunale delle Anime by Donato Carrisi ( I love detective novels) and I plan to read Il
Suggeritore afterwards.

Magazines
38 pages (I make 2 pages count as one as I think one page is sometimes too short)
This is no literature (Chi and Oggi) but it is fun to read and I learn a lot of very usual vocabulary.

I have completed the May vocabulary challenge and I intend to post it here when I have time.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version