Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5583 days ago

51 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, German, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 38
23 June 2013 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
The idea of putting a conference in 2 locations not at all ideal in my opinion, as it will divide where people choose
to go, and not be a whole conference that really brings everyone to one epicenter, and would defeat the purpose. I
don't know why they're doing this for the N. America one. It would be like putting the European one in Budapest
AND Vienna. I think this will overall detract from the quality of the conference. Whichever city they pick, I would
attend, but I don't believe that I'll be able to go to both cities.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4210 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 10 of 38
23 June 2013 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
The thing is, north america is a tad bigger than europe. having two locations makes it easier for more people to
come. I know there's no way i could make it to new york but i might be able to do montreal.

i guess it could divide where people choose to go, but i still think two conferences would allow more people to
attend, even if we can't all be together. (i'm imagining a giant skype call between conferences right now - that would
be hilarious!)
3 persons have voted this message useful

djc463
Heptaglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5583 days ago

51 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, German, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 11 of 38
23 June 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
NYC and Montreal are about 500 km apart, which is close enough so that cost is roughly the same if you're flying
from the South, Middle, or Western part of the continent, but far enough to be a pain (and expensive!) to make it to
both. I'd go to the Canadian one if they would just pick it and everyone meets there, but otherwise I'll be definitely
be attending NYC, and it may be difficult for me to make it to Montreal. People traveling to make it in will be
punished: either only get to see half of the conference, or pay extra and more travel time.
1 person has voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5686 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 12 of 38
09 July 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
If I can hustle up the funds I'd come as well...

on the two locations, for work I do a lot of conference organising, and perhaps an option to skype in would be nice? with broadband being available in a lot of places, this wouldn't be too hard... All one needs is projectors, speakers, mic and webcam and quite a number can call in...
4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5212 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 13 of 38
15 July 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Since, as was pointed out, Montreal and New York are only 500 km apart, why not have an East Coast conference
combining the Montreal and New York crowds and a West Coast conference for the people in Western Canada and
USA?
6 persons have voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4210 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 14 of 38
15 July 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
I think a west coast/east coast division would be great! Especially since i live in vancouver.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4116 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 15 of 38
19 August 2013 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Are there any news on when this is happening? While content on the European conference has been trickling into the forums little by little, it's been a good while since we heard anything on when the American one is happening.

Is there at least an estimated date? Even a month would be helpful. :x

Zarmutek
United States
twitter.com/manueljoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4507 days ago

28 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 38
22 September 2013 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
Are there any news on when this is happening? While content on the European conference has been trickling into the forums little by little, it's been a good while since we heard anything on when the American one is happening.

Is there at least an estimated date? Even a month would be helpful. :x

This is, indeed, what I'd also like to know. There seems (or seemed) to be a lot of talk and planning for the Berlin Polyglot Conference all over the international online language learning community, but little to none in regards to this conference, which is supposed to be taking place a mere 4-5 months after Berlin.

I want answers!

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version