United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 25 of 85
22 June 2014 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
I couldn't make the meeting in Berlin. Is there another one planned for 2015? If so, is there a website? If there isn't anything scheduled, I'd like to organise one in London.

:)
1 person has voted this message useful

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6627 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 26 of 85
22 June 2014 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
A big Thank You to the organisers. So many things to coordinate, so many things that could have gone wrong but didn't.

Many thanks to all speakers and performers. I'll need a few more days to fully digest my notes, but it seems that there are several ideas that I can put to good use.

And fellow participants, you too were amazing! Not only as polyglots, linguists etc. but as friendly, entertaining, interesting people.

Around the Budapest meeting, I was using all my time to find a place to move to. It worked out excellently, so I'll do my very best not to miss any future gatherings. Berlin again would be OK for me, but I find London also attractive for general and personal reasons.

Edited by Lugubert on 22 June 2014 at 11:16pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4293 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 27 of 85
23 June 2014 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Lugubert wrote:

Around the Budapest meeting, I was using all my time to find a place to move to. It worked out excellently, so I'll do my very best not to miss any future gatherings. Berlin again would be OK for me, but I find London also attractive for general and personal reasons.

The problem with London and Paris is that accommodation and room rentals are very expensive. I used to organize academic conferences in Europe and I always avoided these two cities for that reason. There is no way you could have entry fees as low as in Berlin in London.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 85
23 June 2014 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
I have just returned from Berlin after the conference (plus a few days of regular tourism).

The problem now is that this event has set a standard which will be hard to surpass for any events in the future. We basically had four days with three concurrent lectures or other activities - even the empty spaces in the program were mostly filled out by people who had something to say and found a place to say it. And we 'worked' from 9 to 13 and 15-18 every single day, and there were also things going on in the evenings - in one case I spoke to a participant about the subjunctive in French until about 1 AM, and even though I hadn't booked meals apart from breakfast I found lots of people to speak to in the pauses. I was even interviewed once, hurray hurray.

Novi Sad will probably have another character. I expect it to have more local representatives and fewer 'tourists' than Berlin had, and it is impossible to guess what they bring along - although it is likely than the Slavic languages will get a quite prominent position, but Novi Sad seems to be a fairly multilingual place so I simply don't know what to expect. Maybe the local people turn out to be the most polyglot of the lot.

In Berlin I spoke more in notEnglish than I did in Budapest, and I had lots of opportunities to do so. This is certainly something that future conferences should try to follow up, for instance with 'gufujo'* rooms where you aren't allowed to speak the conference language (English) or your own language. We also had a string of 5 minute lectures which were organized during the conference and not before it - another idea it might be worth considering for future organizers.

* something like 'night owl container' in Esperanto

Edited by Iversen on 23 June 2014 at 10:55am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 29 of 85
23 June 2014 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Feedback from participants has been overwhelming. Because of this, Martin, Chuck and I
are very likely organizing another Polyglot Gathering next year, and we're hoping that
the other co-organizers will also be game.

Here's my personal blog post about the Polyglot Gathering:
http://learnlangs.com/polyglot_gathering_2014

This doesn't mean that there can't be a polyglot event in London as well. The consensus
in the polyglot community seems to be that such events should happen anywhere from
twice a year to every weekend ;-) Berlin is one event, London might be no. 2, and who
knows, the Polyglot Conference in North America may also finally take shape. I don't
think it's too much. I'd recommend aiming for late-summer or autumn though, so that you
have enough time to find a team, distribute tasks, find a venue and reserve it. It's a
LOT of work, especially the first time. I would have gladly had more time; as-is, it
was a rush at times and I barely had any time for my job for the past few months. So
give yourself more time. Looking forward to seeing what will come of it!
4 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 85
23 June 2014 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Feedback from participants has been overwhelming. Because of this, Martin, Chuck and I are very likely organizing another Polyglot Gathering next year, and we're hoping that the other co-organizers will also be game.

Wow, this feels like an early Christmas gift. Count me in.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 31 of 85
23 June 2014 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

This doesn't mean that there can't be a polyglot event in London as well. The consensus
in the polyglot community seems to be that such events should happen anywhere from
twice a year to every weekend ;-)

I'm quite interested in organising an event in the UK. Might need to be outside of London since as someone mentioned London is expensive, but the UK has a lot of lovely cities, Oxford, Cambridge, etc.

Would anyone be interested? If there is some interest, then I'll try to get some tips/tricks/hints off Sprachprofi for a "European Winter Polygot Gathering" somewhere in the UK.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5190 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 32 of 85
24 June 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
I'm still kicking myself for not making the Berlin Conference, but I hope to get to Novi Sad. In the meantime I want
to congratulate the organizers of the Berlin Conference. I would certainly encourage them to do another one next
year.

This discussion contains 85 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version