Polyglot Gathering Berlin 2014 + 2015

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
85 messages over 11 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4049 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 81 of 85
07 May 2015 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Just curious, but it is financed by the government of the host country? I am not sure
how polyglot conferences or meetings are organised, but for example in my activity,
in high level (and even medium level) chess tournaments, the national governments or
lower-level provincial governments provide stipents or free/subsidised lodging and
food for participants, as well as pay in full for the venue. This allows those who are
skilled to attend, regardless of their income so that they can participate. In other
words, avoiding that just those who can afford can attend and missing out on the
experience of having the highly skilled participants attend but have less money.

We have a Bundesliga in Germany that I think is financed by the state governments
(Saxony, Bawaria, etc.), a big tournament in Wijk in the Netherlands that is sponsored
by the Dutch steel ministry, etc. and they help the participants financially. So I was
wondering if the polyglot meetings are sponsored like this.

For example, there was a big tournament in Argentina that provided free bus service (a
Greyhound if I am not mistaken) for the top 20 players, as well as free hotel stay and
meals for the entire 2 weeks. Does the polyglot conference have something like this
who would attend were it not for financial difficulties?

Edited by 1e4e6 on 08 May 2015 at 2:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 82 of 85
08 May 2015 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
I think Sprachprofi mentioned something about providing cheap/free accomodation, but probably more like pasporta servo/couch surfing than what you described. Or was it only for the participants of the Esperanto contest?

Edited by Serpent on 08 May 2015 at 4:17am

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 83 of 85
08 May 2015 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
I don't know about any special solutions regarding the gathering, but anyone is free to use pasporta servo/couch surfing/whatever to minimize accomodation costs. This being said, I find it extremely practical to stay in the same place as the very event. That's where everything happens, from lectures to evening programmes. And there's always the possibility to take a nap in your room if you're too tired. During the two hour lunch break I usually relaxed for a while and then had a quick (and cheap and tasty) lunch at the Hauptbahnhof (which is just 10 minutes away, if even that far).

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6343 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 84 of 85
08 May 2015 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
It was really a very nice event. Very happy to see you all there. Hopefully see you in NYC in October
too.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 85 of 85
08 May 2015 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
When will the videos be uploaded?

The first few videos will appear in the next couple weeks if you supported the
Crowdfunding campaign. If you didn't support the campaign, you'll probably see the
whole lot of them appear at once, around August.

Quote:
Just curious, but it is financed by the government of the host country? I am
not sure how polyglot conferences or meetings are organised, but for example in my
activity, in high level (and even medium level) chess tournaments, the national
governments or lower-level provincial governments provide stipents or free/subsidised
lodging and food for participants, as well as pay in full for the venue.

Sadly no. The Polyglot Conference in Serbia was supported by the Serbian government
(in the sense that they provided the conference venue and some manpower, but not free
accommodation or anything), but the next Polyglot Conference and all the Polyglot
Gatherings to date have been participant-financed, with very little money from outside
sponsors.

We are still able to make the events very affordable by not treating them as a
commercial endeavour. All organizers and helpers are doing this in their free time.

We cannot offer free accommodation for any participants, not even the speakers, so I'm
not sure where you read that. Probably a reference to Couchsurfing / Pasporta Servo. If you can put us in contact with an organization that would pay for people's
accommodation, food or the like, please do so! Write to judith@polyglotberlin.com .

Edited by Sprachprofi on 08 May 2015 at 2:27pm

This discussion contains 85 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version