BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3961 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 25 of 33
25 February 2014 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Japanese:
I find it easier to keep up with adding new cards to Anki when I do my reviews in the morning. But this
is not exactly an easy thing to do either as my sleep schedule is a bit unstable (I have been working on
this however, but this is not easy). Today I typed 66 sentences from SKMN3 into Anki, about 240 left
and I'm done with this book. The book also has some exercises and mock exams, which I'm thinking of
doing after I'm finished with the recognition phase. I don't think I will SRS those, that would be too
much work to put into Anki.

Lithuanian:
How do others get used/learn the grammar when they start a new grammar heavy language? I haven't
figured that out yet. Tables and exercises don't seem to work for me right now. I'll get used to it
eventually I think. Only learned a few new words and reviewed the present tense of a-type verbs.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 26 of 33
25 February 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
I don't take grammar at heavy chunks. When the books come with too detailed information,
I usually overlook the details and focus on the essential. Then when I get to another
book I'll be already familiar with the main information and will thus be able to focus on
details (This may take much longer than only two books, though).

I also alternate books that are heavier on grammar and those which focus more on either
conversatoon or on sentences, so that I don't get grammar burnout.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3961 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 27 of 33
26 February 2014 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I don't take grammar at heavy chunks. When the books come with too detailed
information,
I usually overlook the details and focus on the essential. Then when I get to another
book I'll be already familiar with the main information and will thus be able to focus on
details (This may take much longer than only two books, though).

I also alternate books that are heavier on grammar and those which focus more on either
conversatoon or on sentences, so that I don't get grammar burnout.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I really don't like doing heavy grammar studies when I'm practically
nowhere in a language.

Japanese:
Got a solid seven hours in today. Three were spent inside class. We are working on N3 grammar in class
right now, which is what I'm studying by myself with SKMN3. First was the different usages of ところだ.
After that we went on to various dialogues over the telephone discussing the different politeness levels
used. We also did a few conversations by ourself, based on the ones we've seen but changing it to our
situation and context. At the end we did a little kanji game, trying to write down a certain word in kanji
the fastest.

Since it wasn't really worth it to go home, I stayed at school for about two hours before Japanese class
started, putting in about 90 sentences of SKMN3. Rest of the time I spent doing anki reviews and some
translation. I'll be so glad when I don't have to type over books anymore as it's so boring. The end is
near!

Lithuanian:
Just reviewed my anki cards.

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3961 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 28 of 33
07 March 2014 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Japanese:
This weekend I'll finally be done with adding cards from SKMN3! I now should be able to pass the N3
without any problems now that I worked on the grammar that I need for it, on to N2!
I've been sick during the past few days and I missed one day after reaching 10 days in the consistency
challenge (which is a lot for me). I think I'll be able to stick to it better with the N2 sentences being
typed out already. I'm also going to set some goals for March this week, to introduce some structure to
my studies. I have done a lot of translation since my last update, ~150 pages of shounen manga and
read a
lot more than that. Also continued readin kino no tabi.

Lithuanian:
The 6WC was a joke, I barely learned anything new... Just kept reviewing.

Edited by nandemonai on 07 March 2014 at 1:49am

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3961 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 29 of 33
18 March 2014 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Japanese:
I've sort of hit an eureka moment with Japanese over the past two week. All cards for SKMN3 are added,
keeping up with reviewing those. Going to start adding SKMN2 cards at the end of March/early April. I'm
also participating in the Tadoku challenge, aiming to end in the top 10, while also making sure at least
50% of the points I get are from light novels and not just manga/anime. I've been able to read the
second chapter of キノの旅1巻 in one go, 31 pages. I've never been able to read this many pages of a
light novel before so I'm really happy about that. I've also started reading Sword Art Online, because I'm
really excited about season two of the anime. I want to have read the light novel before the anime, and
hoping that it will be much easier to watch raw (without Japanese subs). Last friday to sunday I've
translated 204 pages of manga, 19 were from a seinen manga with a lot of references to other works
and the Japanese culture. This really gave me a lot of confidence in my Japanese, I'm now sure I will pass
N2, and N1 might not be impossible either.

Lithuanian:
Just a few new words and reviews. I'm also going to get the interlinear book in Lithuanian I came across
on the forum earlier, but haven't had the time for that yet.

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3961 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 30 of 33
24 July 2014 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
I haven't really updated my log lately, but I've still been studying.

Japanese:
I've finished my last year of Japanese classes, and my Japanese is rapidly improving. I'm working on the grammar of
N2 and N1 right now. I've also decided to restart my Heisig deck, but with Japanese (key)words. I'm around halfway
with it. In the last two Tadoku challenges I've ended up on the 11th place, I really wanted to make it in the top 10
but always fell short at the end. Especially the last one improved my reading speed. I'm already past the halfway
mark for reading and close to one third for listening of the super challenge.

I've decided to take the JLPT N2, as N1 might be a little too hard. I'd rather pass the N2 with flying colors than barely
pass N1 or maybe even fail it.

I'm this saturday flying to Japan to spend 4 weeks traveling. I've arranged meetups with Japanese friends so I'll be
able to level up my spoken Japanese considerably, as I've only spoken Japanese for a few hours in my whole life.

Lithuanian:
I haven't really been keeping up with Lithuanian to be honest. I find it hard to turn away from Japanese and learn
another language. Maybe my trip to Lithuania in September will change that?

Mandarin:
I'm slowly practicing the tones of Mandarin, preparing me for my classes starting in September. Comparing the
simplified characters to the ones used in Japanese is also very interesting.

Edited by nandemonai on 31 July 2014 at 6:11pm

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3961 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 31 of 33
31 July 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
I'm finally in Japan! I've been here for a few days now and my active skills are progressively improving. The first two
days I've had some problems asking people for things in Japanese, but I haven't had an awkward conversation in like
three days, which makes me really happy.

Apart from seeing this beautiful country, I really like the book stores. It's like a dream come true for me. Racks full
of manga/light novels/novels to read. It's hard to keep me from buying everything I want this early on in my trip, as
I don't want to carry all the books over the whole country, but I couldn't resist every time. So far I've got 3 light
novels, 2 novels, 4 mangas, a Chinese beginner textbook (NHK新中国語入門), and a Korean grammar (完全マスターハ
ングル文法), both in Japanese.

I caught up with my Anki deck just before going to Japan, but I really don't feel like doing Anki while I'm here. I'll
catch up again once I'm back in Belgium. I'm still reading quite a lot, every time on the train or metro I take out a
light novel to read.

Edited by nandemonai on 31 July 2014 at 6:13pm

nandemonai
Diglot
Joined 3961 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 

Message 32 of 33
11 August 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Having a great time here in Japan. My spoken Japanese is definitely improving, but I still notice there's a lot I can
improve. I gave up on buying everything at the end of my trip, and just bought a new suitcase to put all my books
into. I've bought 完全マスター読解 for N2 and N1, to prepare for the N2 this December. In total I got 72 light novels,
4 manga volumes, 13 novels, and 4 textbooks now.

I've been playing around with some anki decks & memrise during train rides, dabbling in a few other languages
(Lithuanian, Korean, French and German). My reading speed with light novels is also rapidly improving, which is
really motivating.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version