Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 17 of 52
22 December 2006 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure which of my programs it is, but learning Mandarin, I've been warned that asking about salaries is a common question, whereas asking "how are you?" is consedered very personal. Which does have some logic. Your salary is more or less public, in a way, but how you're feeling, that's pretty personal. I've actually gotten annoyed at Americans and Britons asking me constantly how I am. Yeah, I know, it's just a politeness thing, but it does force me to lie to them if I'm not feeling good (or worse, start unloading my emotional baggage). I like the Swedish way of doing things: don't ask any questions, and don't talk with strangers at all :) But then I'm "reserved" by nature.
2 persons have voted this message useful

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7129 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 52
23 December 2006 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
It's not like you actually have to answer the "Have you eaten yet?", "What is your job? Your salary?" and "Are you married? Do you have children?" questions truthfully anyway. If need be, make up an answer and ask the person back.
1 person has voted this message useful

orion
United States
Joined 6832 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 19 of 52
29 December 2006 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
I don't think this is limited to Chinese people. A Dutch woman I used to work with was always quick to tell someone how fat they were, how they smell, how they should cut their hair etc. Other Dutch people I have met also do this. Maybe this is not considered rude in The Netherlands?

My old Chinese office mate was always very curious how much something cost. It never really bothered me too much, because I could always ask him the same thing and he never cared.

muzikguy
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6295 days ago

19 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Italian

Message 20 of 52
28 April 2007 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
It's really not just the Chinese being blunt. It's the Americans being used to "polite" and "curteous" talk in front of aquaintances.

It's kind of like culture shock, but if I were in China for the first time and someone told me "you have a big stomach" or something, yeah, it'd be really shocking.

sergiu
Diglot
Romania
freewebs.com/invata_
Joined 6250 days ago

105 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: German

Message 21 of 52
29 April 2007 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
A Chinese guy told me how skinny I was(
60 kg and I've gained a lot of weight since then) ,and couldn't stop bringing that subject into our conversation, so of course I did what any normal person would do ...starting to mock him with anything I could think of ,since punching him in the face was not an option.

Andy_Liu
Triglot
Hong Kong
leibby.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6597 days ago

255 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 22 of 52
29 April 2007 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Clintaroo wrote:
Interesting examples... I must admit, on more than one occasion I have been told by Chinese, 'Wow, you have such white skin!' within the first five minutes of a meeting. I've also been informed of my blue eyes and blonde hair... as if I didn't know about them hehe. But it's fine. I don't feel uncomfortable and understand that it's just one aspect of many cultural differences.

One possible reason is the people in countries like mine are ethnically rather homogeneous. Even in HK, whites/Arabs/black people usually appear in tourist spots/airports/universities only. So, commoners may often find "foreign faces" to be peculiar and make strange comments on them.

Asking about salary doesn't seem to be common here. It seems that privacy is less ... "respected" (?I may use the wrong word) in some mainland cities than here. Even some HK students have the same feeling when they study in places like Shanghai.

I remember a line in Pimsleur Mandarin about the social view of the Chinese, something like "individual contribution/value is less important than the ?communal?/?social group". "Anorexia sufferers", or those who are crazy about weight (yet usually fail to lose weight), are just one of the groups who care too much about others' view on them. In HK, this issue is related to numerous social problems localers are facing. Prejudice seems to be something natural in many places...

Edited by Andy_Liu on 29 April 2007 at 1:40am

owshawng
United States
Joined 6697 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 23 of 52
29 April 2007 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I was shopping in an asian grocery store with my 2 year old son in Sydney. He was speaking mandarin and an old asian woman asked me if my wife was chinese. i told her Taiwanese. the woman looked at me, then to my son, then back to me and said "Your wife must be very good looking". and then walked away as i thanked her. A few seconds later I thought "WTF?" I think I was just insulted.

muzikguy
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6295 days ago

19 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Italian

Message 24 of 52
30 April 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
owshawng wrote:
I was shopping in an asian grocery store with my 2 year old son in Sydney. He was speaking mandarin and an old asian woman asked me if my wife was chinese. i told her Taiwanese. the woman looked at me, then to my son, then back to me and said "Your wife must be very good looking". and then walked away as i thanked her. A few seconds later I thought "WTF?" I think I was just insulted.

Older Chinese citizens sadly tend to be very narrow-minded on the subject of marriage. Many believe that it's unnatural for a native Chinese/Taiwanese woman or man to marry someone unChinese.

I hope that kind of clears it up for you and makes you feel a little less offended.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version