Triglot
Australia
Joined 6762 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 25 of 52
01 May 2007 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
owshawng wrote:
I was shopping in an asian grocery store with my 2 year old son in Sydney. He was speaking mandarin and an old asian woman asked me if my wife was chinese. i told her Taiwanese. the woman looked at me, then to my son, then back to me and said "Your wife must be very good looking". and then walked away as i thanked her. A few seconds later I thought "WTF?" I think I was just insulted.

Sorry mate, but that's hilarious :).

Edited by Walshy on 01 May 2007 at 6:03am

1 person has voted this message useful

orion
United States
Joined 6841 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 26 of 52
01 May 2007 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
I have to admit this anecdote had me cracking up too!

epingchris
Triglot
Taiwan
shih-chuan.blog.ntu.
Joined 6848 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds
Studies: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English, FrenchB2
Studies: Japanese, German, Turkish

Message 27 of 52
02 September 2007 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
In my edition of Teach Yourself Chinese there is some information on "Chinese straight talking" - that Chinese are likely to ask what you paid for your house, TV, car, if you're married, have children (and perhaps why not!).

Yes, Chinese people (and Taiwanese as well) do like to ask them these questions. : ) For one thing, I think in our traditional culture these are highly valued aspects. So it’s possible that most people who ask this are just concerned with you, or want to start up a conversation. They would ask the same questions to any native Taiwanese people as well. I understand why foreigners might feel awkward about these questions, but I’ve never been able to answer those "How are you doing?" without feeling awkward and just replying in the same old "fine" either.

As for the weight issue, let’s just say peer pressure and media propaganda are powerful weapons for driving certain aesthetic value into people. While it is true that some westerners are unhealthily overweight, it is equally tru that some East Asians are just unhealthily underweight. A girl is deemed unattractive if her feet or arms are “too thick” – which rules out lots of sportive girl immediately. And the pursuit for whiteness is crazy also – look at the commercials that want to polish every woman into a piece of marble. I don’t think the superficiality is healthy, but unfortunately it’s hard to change at any time soon. That’s why I don’t want to talk about girls with my classmates, their aesthetics are just not acceptable to me.

lady_skywalker wrote:

To be honest, after having lived in China for a year, the whole 'waiguoren' thing no longer bothers me here in Taiwan as much as it did over there. I'm just surprised that the 'modern Westernised' Taiwan display the same ignorance as their Communist brethren, although in the latter case it is understandable as it was isolated from the world until recently. I personally found the Japanese to be a LOT more inviting of foreigners and felt a lot more at ease and more welcome there than I have ever felt in my year in Taiwan.

Admittedly, Taiwan isn't as internationalized as we believe it to be. We've done a lot (perhaps more than enough) to improve our English, but our attitude is still somewhat narrow......younger, more educated people may act better, I hope.
Still, I want to point out that the situation, I think, is getting better.
I don’t see people today in Taiwan cut in lines or gawk at foreigners anymore, at least not from my observing.

Jee
Australia
Joined 6129 days ago

105 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: English

Message 28 of 52
02 September 2007 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
victor wrote:
It's not like you actually have to answer the "Have you eaten yet?", "What is your job? Your salary?" and "Are you married? Do you have children?" questions truthfully anyway. If need be, make up an answer and ask the person back.

I totally agree with you
It's just different way of greeting in different cultures.
Actually,most time you do not to be serious about those questions:"Have you eaten yet?", "What is your job? Your salary?" and "Are you married? Do you have children?"
Those are just like the questions"How are you doing","It's a nice day" blablablabla and so on in English conversation.
Those Chinese conversation questions look like such private questions, but most the askers do not really wanna know the answers, it's just a greeting at the beginning of the talking in order to make a friendly conversation, to make persons closer.

Those questions can be replied by the following way:
"Have you   eaten   yet?"........... ... YES   /NO
"What is   your   job?"............. ..Just a little business
"   Your   salary?"........... ..........Just a little/ not too much
"Are   you   married?"........ .........YES &nb sp;/NO
Do you   have   children? .............YES   /NO

If need to be, make up an answer and ask the person back. No need to pay attention on those questions

It's definetly a cultural misunderstanding, I have the same problems in English conversation when I lived in Australia
Even I know that the askers don't really wanna get an answer, I can not help giving a detail answer after being asked "How r u doing",which makes the asker tired to listen to my so complicated answer.
It'll be a little bit funny,if you can think out of it

Edited by Jee on 02 September 2007 at 7:23am

3 persons have voted this message useful

manny
Triglot
United States
Joined 6178 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 29 of 52
02 September 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
owshawng wrote:
... the woman looked at me, then to my son, then back to me and said "Your wife must be very good looking". ... I think I was just insulted.

I think she:
* saw that you have a very cute son;
* saw that you were not responsible; and
* attributed it to your wife.

Take it as a compliment that you have a much better looking wife than you deserve. :-)

I also do!!!

Edited by manny on 02 September 2007 at 2:25pm

MOSF
Antarctica
Joined 6288 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchB2

Message 30 of 52
08 September 2007 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I've lived with Chinese people for quite a long time and... where to start..
After some months I ended up thinking that far east Asian adults have the emotional intelligence and personality of a western 6 year old. Horribly racist, I know, but I couldn't help it. Now I just think that the cultural gap is way too wide.
Everything that's been said they did: commenting on the things you eat and staring at you while you eat like if they were at the zoo, making remarks about the fact that you've lost/gained weight, comparing their wealth with yours ( "How much do your parents earn?"), making fun of you in Chinese while you're just in front of them, being terribly loud and having no consideration for other people's sleeping time, etc..
As a side note, the popular culture they consume, the one produced in China, is horrible. If this is the future for international music and cinema we're f**ked. Long live Hollywood.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6370 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 31 of 52
09 September 2007 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
manny wrote:
Take it as a compliment that you have a much better looking wife than you deserve. :-)

I also do!!!

Jimmy Soul says never make a pretty woman your wife.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6162 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 32 of 52
09 September 2007 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
MOSF wrote:
As a side note, the popular culture they consume, the one produced in China, is horrible. If this is the future for international music and cinema we're f**ked. Long live Hollywood.

I personally think it's the other way around. I guess it's all about opinions.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version