Joined 6178 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 33 of 52
09 September 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
manny wrote:
Take it as a compliment that you have a much better looking wife than you deserve. :-)

I also do!!!

Jimmy Soul says never make a pretty woman your wife.

ROTF & LOL!!!

Yah, but mine can cook too. :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

jstele
Bilingual
United States
Joined 6475 days ago

186 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean*

Message 34 of 52
17 July 2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
MOSF wrote:

After some months I ended up thinking that far east Asian adults have the emotional intelligence and personality of a western 6 year old. Horribly racist, I know, but I couldn't help it. Now I just think that the cultural gap is way too wide.
Everything that's been said they did: commenting on the things you eat and staring at you while you eat like if they were at the zoo, making remarks about the fact that you've lost/gained weight, comparing their wealth with yours ( "How much do your parents earn?"), making fun of you in Chinese while you're just in front of them, being terribly loud and having no consideration for other people's sleeping time, etc..

To label all people from the far east as one way from the few individuals you've met is a gross generalization. Even extending that to all Chinese people is too much.

Someone from that region could point out all the cultural differences in the West and use that to make a judgment about Westerners. So it's not, Westerners are mature and Easterners are immature. If you could open your mind, you might learn a thing or two from them. There are things about Eastern cultures that I like such as modesty in terms of public affection, respect for the elderly, etc. They're not exclusive to Eastern cultures, but definitely a part of them.

Everyone can control their outlook or at least influence it in the right direction if they choose to.
2 persons have voted this message useful

winniebree
Diglot
China
windsinsummer.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5607 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Cantonese, Mandarin*
Studies: EnglishC1, Spanish, French, Japanese

Message 36 of 52
20 January 2009 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
jstele wrote:
MOSF wrote:

After some months I ended up thinking that far east Asian adults have the emotional intelligence and personality of a western 6 year old. Horribly racist, I know, but I couldn't help it. Now I just think that the cultural gap is way too wide.
Everything that's been said they did: commenting on the things you eat and staring at you while you eat like if they were at the zoo, making remarks about the fact that you've lost/gained weight, comparing their wealth with yours ( "How much do your parents earn?"), making fun of you in Chinese while you're just in front of them, being terribly loud and having no consideration for other people's sleeping time, etc..

To label all people from the far east as one way from the few individuals you've met is a gross generalization. Even extending that to all Chinese people is too much.

Someone from that region could point out all the cultural differences in the West and use that to make a judgment about Westerners. So it's not, Westerners are mature and Easterners are immature. If you could open your mind, you might learn a thing or two from them. There are things about Eastern cultures that I like such as modesty in terms of public affection, respect for the elderly, etc. They're not exclusive to Eastern cultures, but definitely a part of them.

Everyone can control their outlook or at least influence it in the right direction if they choose to.

Agree.No need to generalize everything.

WD
Pro Member
Australia
Joined 4901 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: EnglishC2
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 52
27 December 2010 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
MOSF wrote:
I've lived with Chinese people for quite a long time and... where to start..
As a side note, the popular culture they consume, the one produced in China, is horrible. If this is the future for international music and cinema we're f**ked. Long live Hollywood.

I strongly agree. Even as a chinese i think the chinese can be really direct and inconsiderate. my chinese fellows in high school (esp the fobs who have just arrived australia spoke none English) would comment on my skinniness (i have a proportioned body unlike some anorexic undevoloped waif whist constantly rabbiting about wanting to lose weight. The other day when i was doing some stretchy exercises and able to bend down and reach my palms to the ground and one of the girls was like you've got short legs in an annoying tonE f**k it. admit you've got no agility and get a life or you will be fat for the rest of your life. and when i told her i was going to stay at an off-campus college when uni started, she commented in a patronizing tone oh i woudnt even eat the food even it was given to me for free. and when i had a boyfriend back then, she would be like i wouldnt date him even he was given to me for free and whilst dreaming and giggling and rabbiting on about the aussie guy in her class who she never planned on talking to. and she was extremely loud in public transport when the train is full of commuters as if she owns the place. She was not the only one. There was another chinese girl who is a year ahead of me at uni after getting to know that i would study commerce, was like commerce is not good at all at my uni (she doesnt even know anyone doing commerce) you wont get a job blab blab. I'm so sick of it. i wonder why i would bother talking to them in the first place. if it was not due to my just ok English and not knowing many people at high school i wouldnt waste time on them. Think God i'm at uni now. Since we have gone separate ways i can finally feel calm and peaceful to my ears and my mind.

The Chinese pop culture is just epic fail. i was wondering why i never got into the chinses music and movies while i was still a 11 year old in China. i didnt know why i was so different to my peers but i insisted on being myself listening to western music and watching western movies while growing up. im not saying there is no good work in chinese pop culture, but most of them argh. so now i understand i'm perfect normal. it was the music itself that was the problem. Thank God i'm in aus now no need to worry about that anymore. (I do really like the Chinese food though)

On another note, i get along pretty much every one from Hong Kong, but Twaiwanese? I think they are not as open-minded to the world as Hong Kong people and their English is not as good as them either. They are more like the mainland.

Edited by WD on 27 December 2010 at 6:59pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4950 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 39 of 52
27 December 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
WD wrote:

On another note, i get along pretty much every one from Hong Kong, but Twaiwanese? I think they are not as open-minded to the world as Hong Kong people and their English is not as good as them either. They are more like the mainland.

I have the exact opposite opinion from living/working with many immigrants from both places in San Francisco.

See how not everybody has the same experience and it's dangerous to generalize?

R.
==

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5067 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 40 of 52
27 December 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
This thread is hella funny. Chinese people are rude so if you want to get by in that culture you just need to grow hard skin and a good sense of humor. A Chinese doctor in BC Canada, very talented, basically scolds his patients for being sick. It's quite humorous I hear. My martial arts teacher, Cantonese, is always making fun of and impersonating students. It's always funny, but requires humility. It is actually a really effective teaching tool too.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version