Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4758 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 47
31 July 2013 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
My mother was at a soirée last night and heard these words from one of the other
guests. This came up somehow as a topic, and she had mentioned to him that I studied
"languages" (she states she did not tell him how many I speak or study, though for the
record I speak 5, still working my way up 3 of the ones I speak, and "learning" one).

That is to say I'm working to reach advanced fluency in 3 languages (which I have
studied VERY WELL and which are related to my native languages), and learning 1 new
language from a totally different family of languages. It is A LOT OF WORK.

I was just wondering how I would have reacted upon hearing such claim.

I think that my first instinctive reaction would be to burst out laughing in his face.

Hopefully before that happened, my frontal cortex would intervene.

Even if I don't guffaw, what would I say next?? These are the possibilities I thought
of:

1) Not say anything (believe the poor man had simply been lied to by his son)
2) Just nod and congratulate him on his Wunderkind (even though I don't believe it one
second)
3) Tell him I am very interested to know how his son achieved this "miracle", and that
I would like to meet him
4) Challenge him on the spot that it is very very likely that is not true.

There is of course always a chance, it is actually TRUE, but I would only bet the
money's house on that one.

Of course then I return to the root of the question, what is "speaking"? To me,
speaking a language (basically) is being able to live in the country without resorting
to another language. Many mistakes, many gaps in vocab, but you can survive and engage
socially. Speaking a language fluently being much more lofty (not making mistakes,
rarely groping for a word, rather good accent).

Is it possible a 20 year old can speak 15 languages (basically)? I guess it is if he is
some sort of savant, and dedicated himself to it all his life. But those sort of people
don't come very often.

How would you all have reacted if confronted by such a statement?

Edited by outcast on 31 July 2013 at 5:06pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4758 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 2 of 47
31 July 2013 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I must point out I probably would have felt offended and a bit jealous (I guess because
deep inside perhaps it could be true afterall), thus my visceral reaction. This
insecurity and slight jaundice would stem from the fact that I know how $%&$_#@! hard it
is to learn one language well, let alone several, let alone more than a dozen.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4448 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 3 of 47
31 July 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I would probably have had an incredulous look on my face, but I think my reaction would have been to ask questions, like "Really? What languages does your son know? Does he speak them all? How did he learn them? When did he start learning languages? Does he study on his own or did he attend courses? Do you know what methods he uses? etc etc. If the claim was false, then I think those questions would reveal it pretty quickly, and if true, you would expect the father or mother of this wonderboy to know how on earth their child had become such a polyglot at young age.

When I was 20, I was pretty good at English and German, had intermediate French and was starting my university studies in Spanish. My parents, who are basically monolinugal, were very impressed with my four languages - as outcast says, it is a lot of work.

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4062 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 47
31 July 2013 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
I would have asked to be acquainted with the person. It'd be very interesting if it were true. I of course doubt it is but I don't think it's impossible. For example, if the mother was a native Spanish speaker and father, say, native Mandarin Chinese speaker then expanding from the other side to all of the Romance languages, from the other side to Cantonese, Burmese and so on and then via English to other Germanic languages then it could in theory be possible. It would still be amazing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

yele
United States
Joined 3979 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 47
31 July 2013 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Wow. Thats a huge number. I dont know how I'd react but I wouldn't try and quiz them over it.

Just speaking from personal experience, the worst thing you can do is quiz a person. I've had this happen to me once from a friend and it's kind of belittling in a sense. She still does it sometimes but not as much. I remember the first time she decided to quiz me she used possibly the easiest words that anyone in their first month of study would know (this was when I already completed a year of studies). Even though I knew them all I couldn't help but feel that she thought I wouldn't know such a basic thing like the word for the color white. In fact, it almost felt like she was dissappointed that I knew them.

As a note: I think jealousy is a powerful motivator. Everytime I log onto this forum I'm so jealous of everyones progress and the amount of languages they speak. Then I binge on my studies with the thought that ONE DAY I will be one of them. :D
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 47
31 July 2013 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:

How would you all have reacted if confronted by such a statement?

I probably would have reacted as I would have with any other proud parent. I would have
congratulated the parent for her kid's interest in languages and that's about all.
Otherwise it doesn't really affect me or my life.

Parents talk up their kids' abilities all the time. It just means they're proud of
them. No reason to get bent out of shape over it.

R.
==
17 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4698 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 7 of 47
31 July 2013 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
I don't think people who have studied languages know just how much work it takes, and
tend to take any level of skill as "he speaks the language."

Once, at a new job, I was introduced in the company paper as someone who could speak
seven foreign languages. I was horrified, because what I had actually said was, I took
Latin in High School, a semester of Arabic in college, learned how to order food in
Thailand while backpacking, and so on.

I tend to take this mother's comments the same way I take comments like "you have a
talent for languages" (as opposed to "you work hard at languages") and "you should try
Rosetta Stone" - I just smile a bit, and don't even try to explain anymore what I really
think.

Edited by kanewai on 31 July 2013 at 9:42pm

yuehan
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4187 days ago

12 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Greek, French, Indonesian, Haitian Creole, Modern Hebrew, Somali, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 8 of 47
31 July 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:

I was just wondering how I would have reacted upon hearing such claim.

Don't worry about it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version