Joined 4759 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 9 of 47
31 July 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
outcast wrote:

How would you all have reacted if confronted by such a statement?

I probably would have reacted as I would have with any other proud parent. I would have
congratulated the parent for her kid's interest in languages and that's about all.
Otherwise it doesn't really affect me or my life.

Parents talk up their kids' abilities all the time. It just means they're proud of
them. No reason to get bent out of shape over it.

R.
==

No disrespect, but I think you and six other people missed the main point :)

And no, I am no "bent out of shape" about it. I listed a range of possibilities of how
I would have reacted, and it seems many of you just assume I would have reacted
irascibly

But admittedly, I'm not (thankfully) a parent, but I would never say something like
that without being prepared to back it up, child or no child.
4 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 10 of 47
31 July 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:

No disrespect, but I think you and six other people missed the main point :)

I quoted what I understood to be your main point. That is, how would I have reacted. I
gave my reply.

Was that not your main point?

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 47
31 July 2013 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
How would I have reacted? I would have smiled and said "that's really interesting!". It
wouldn't have bothered, offended or otherwise affected me. Parents are proud of their
kids' accomplishments - real and imagined. I remember after going to Brazil for a
month, my dad announced to everyone that I spoke Portuguese. I didn't. I really didn't.
But I knew a few words, and he was proud of me because I'm his kid, so in his head I
"spoke Portuguese".

Would I really have believed that the young man spoke 15 languages? Nope. But then I'm
highly suspicious of lots of claims - including many of the people online who claim to
be polyglots and speak a dozen plus languages.

As an aside, I used to have a job helping people write resumes. You'd be shocked at how
often a person who knows a few words wants to put "speaks x-language" on their resume.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 12 of 47
31 July 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
An old woman randomly came up to me in the supermarket the other day and told me she was a pop photographer back in the 60s and 70s and Eric Clapton's ex-lover. I didn't know how to react then either...I mean, she could well have been after all. So I just gave her the benefit of the doubt, and chatted in a friendly manner whilst waiting in line at the cheese counter. This seemed to cheer her up immensely, as I suspect the main thing was that she was lonely and just wanted to talk to someone who wouldn't discredit her outright. I even learnt a little more about the cover art on Clapton's early LPs after leaving John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, which was interesting.

In the OP's case, this woman's son may well know 15 languages to a greater or lesser degree (it's certainly possible), or it could simply be a proud parent's Chardonnay-fueled exaggeration, which wouldn't be the first at a soirée. Either way, the key question is determining her social motive. What is she trying to achieve by declaring this openly to the group? And how would others' reactions impact on the general cohesion of the group, as well as the woman's underlying feelings or possible insecurities, especially after she's left the party at the end of the night and starts down that long corridor of self-reflection?

Sometimes, in this sense, determining the truth of social statements can take a back seat to understanding what's truly behind their public declarations. Sometimes it's just a simple wild boast at a soirée, but there are other times when it may be a subtle cry for help or attention instead, a precursor to some other story. This is why I always try, although I fear I don't always succeed in every case, to keep my mind open and my words friendly when I hear these types of statements.

Edited by Teango on 31 July 2013 at 9:38pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4525 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 13 of 47
31 July 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Or that could be Tim Doner's mother...=P
6 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4331 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 14 of 47
31 July 2013 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
son says: "I downloaded a pack of Rosetta Stone with 15 languages, and I've tried out all of them."
parent hears: "I know 15 languages."

case solved

I've told my mother multiple times that I don't speak Swedish, but somehow she still thinks I do. After all, I talked to all those Swedes in Stockholm. Parents ...

Edited by daegga on 31 July 2013 at 10:45pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5049 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 47
31 July 2013 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
I think I would have overcome my shyness & asked this parent, not in a confrontational manner, what languages his
son spoke & how he learned them. I would highly doubt that this claim would be true, but what if he spoke 5-7
languages? That's still impressive! How'd he do that? Like you, I know how long & hard I've had to work to get 2
related languages to acceptable levels. If someone else has a method, I'd be curious to know how he did it. I'd keep
my suspicions hidden, though.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 16 of 47
01 August 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
I think it is possible, even though improbable. Had I not been lazy, I could have learnt 5-8 by the time I was 20 so I have no trouble believing this to be possible, especially if most of the languages would be related.

My first and irrational emotion would be jealousy. Yes, I have some issues in that area :-)

My reaction would be "Which ones?" as I would be curious. The answer would tell a lot more both about probability of the claim to be true and about the claim/achievement itself. I don't think the parent knows how the kid achieved such a remarkable thing anyways as he/she wouldn't need to be included much most times.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version