United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4422 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 25 of 47
02 August 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I think that it is important to distinguish between "knowing a language" and "speaking a language". Personally, I believe that one can never ever know a language in its entity (100% of it all). And that is speaking formally, including all specific terminologies that a language has, which are certainly not used in everyday speech. Sure, I now know some mining and IT terminologies after I've done some translation work in the topic, but that's even a tiny bit of an entire terminological section.

So, basically, what I'm trying to imply is that people very often merge both notions: "to know" and "to speak" a language nowadays, just because within the social mind, in the day to day communication one would use only a limited amount of words, most of them to be repeated again in future conversations, as fluctuations could appear due to changing environment. That being said, "speaking" another language per se, could pretty much mean any tiny tad of a dialogue in a given language. For example, I could put on, a very basic indeed, conversation on, say, Turkish, which par excellence would allow me to say that I'm "speaking" the language, as I'm actually doing so, minus the fact that besides that I cannot evolve into more complex conversation.

Therefore, parents, would marvel at their children for having said some tiny tad of a language, which is, as I tried to note, not necessarily a lie, because they are "speaking" it, no matter that their actual knowledge might be 0,01% of the specific language. The problem is more within the social understanding, which proves to be challenged to understand the boundary between to know and to speak, and therefore establish the given credit for doing so.

Finally, this thread reminded me of this guy, who's like 17 and speaks 20 languages. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km9-DiFaxpU

P.S.: Tell me if it is just me, or someone else is also hearing the thick American accent on his Farsi.
1 person has voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 26 of 47
03 August 2013 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:

1) Not say anything (believe the poor man had simply been lied to by his son)
2) Just nod and congratulate him on his Wunderkind (even though I don't believe it one
second)
3) Tell him I am very interested to know how his son achieved this "miracle", and that
I would like to meet him
4) Challenge him on the spot that it is very very likely that is not true.

The answer that helps you the most with your languages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6468 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 27 of 47
03 August 2013 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
I would opt for number three in the sense that I would say that I am very interested in meeting the man's son.

I just take it for granted that parents will exaggerate their children's abilities to some degree, and I know that most people won't distinguish between really and truly knowing a language on one hand and dabbling or knowing only a very little bit of the language on the other.

I would also take it for granted that the man's son knows at least a smattering of several languages and would quite possibly be an interesting person to talk to. My next move would be to say something along the lines of "How wonderful! You know, I've always been interested in languages myself. I'd love to sit down and chat with you son sometime."

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 28 of 47
03 August 2013 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:
I would opt for number three in the sense that I would say that I am very
interested in meeting the man's son.

Depending on your age in comparison to the age of this person's son, that could come off
as creepy,
at least in the US. It doesn't have to, of course, but "protecting the children" seems
to be an obsession here.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 03 August 2013 at 8:54pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 29 of 47
04 August 2013 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:
I would opt for number three in the sense that I would say that I am very interested in meeting the man's son.

I just take it for granted that parents will exaggerate their children's abilities to some degree, and I know that most people won't distinguish between really and truly knowing a language on one hand and dabbling or knowing only a very little bit of the language on the other.

I would also take it for granted that the man's son knows at least a smattering of several languages and would quite possibly be an interesting person to talk to. My next move would be to say something along the lines of "How wonderful! You know, I've always been interested in languages myself. I'd love to sit down and chat with you son sometime."
This! Exaggerating means there's something to exaggerate.

And really, "protecting the children" at the age of 20? would it be different after 21?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4909 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 30 of 47
04 August 2013 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
I probably wouldn't say anything at all. I would assume that they a proud but likely ignorant parent and their kid probably speaks some amount of some languages but probably not enough to genuinely interest me.

Cynical, I know, but experiences have taught me not to expect much from these sort of claims.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 47
04 August 2013 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
And how much is enough to interest you? The majority of the members here don't speak more than 2-3 languages :P

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4909 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 32 of 47
04 August 2013 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And how much is enough to interest you? The majority of the members here
don't speak more than 2-3 languages :P

Sorry, I didn't make that very clear. I meant that I might assume he could not say enough of
his particular languages to interest me ie: hello,
goodbye, thank you etc.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 04 August 2013 at 4:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version