Groupie
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Pashto
Studies: Dari

Message 1 of 27
01 August 2013 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to be spending the next 64 weeks in an environment of intense schooling and studying (The Defense
Language Institute.) I know a lot of people here end up staying up late into the night studying and wake up early to
do the same. I'm curious at what point depriving yourself of sleep to keep studying actually becomes detrimental to
your ability to learn and retain knowledge, because as far as I know, our brains can only handle so much information
in a single period without sleep. I'd prefer to manage my time where I never actually have to deprive myself of sleep,
but I am curious about this subject.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Universum
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3941 days ago

9 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: English*, GermanB2
Studies: French

Message 2 of 27
02 August 2013 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
The good Dr Piotr Wozniak (of SuperMemo fame) wrote an interesting article on this a
while back. You can find it here: http://www.supermemo.com/articles/sleep.htm. (Remove
any spaces from the URL).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4501 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 3 of 27
02 August 2013 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
Work smart. Sometimes people brag about pulling all-nighters, but that doesn't mean
that they're necessarily doing better than you. They might just be being inefficient.

When I first entered college, I was overwhelmed by how competitive my program was and
reacted by working myself to the bone. I was pulling 3-4 all-nighters a week. There was
something exhilarating about rocketing ahead at that pace, but it was not sustainable.
I lost 10 pounds simply because I was glued to the studio and wouldn't leave to eat.

After that first semester I had to step up my time management game. I would map out how
many hours an assignment would take, build my activities around 8-hour or 10-hour
blocks of work, and then try to stick to the schedule as best I could. There would be
inevitable run-overs, but all-nighters were still reduced to only one every week or two
weeks. Now all-nighters are quite rare, while I am still productive and active. Your
specific strategy will vary but it should still prioritize planning and setting
boundaries. To me it's not so much about memory but about the bigger issue of your
long-term health.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 4 of 27
02 August 2013 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
A healthy sleeping routine is essential for maintaining focus whilst studying during the day, not to mention consolidating and reintegrating any memories into long-term storage over the many nights that follow. In my experience, sacrificing quality sleep to the gods of past papers and caffeine has helped me survive last minute exams in the past, but it's proven to be a recipe for disaster in terms of long-term memory and attention.

This subject reminds me of Abazid's controversial brainwashing experiment posted here on the Forum back in 2011, where he set out to learn Russian using just Michel Thomas and Pimsleur and tried to forego any sleep. I recall he made it all the way to 25 hours before crashing from sheer exhaustion, and it was estimated that he may have reached a passive A2 level after 3 days (although we haven't heard from him since as to how much he retained in the days that followed the experiment...perhaps he's still sleeping it off).

Edited by Teango on 02 August 2013 at 2:39am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 27
02 August 2013 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
When I wrote my final dissertation for my degree in French and literature I dropped the idea that a day-and-night ("døgn" in Danish) has 24 hours. But instead of doing allnighters - which I see as deeply detrimental both to your mental and your physical health - I went to a system with one long sleep each 36 hours hour PLUS a good solid nap around midway between those long sleeping periods. Or in other words: it was a compromise between a 36 hour 'døgn' and a 18 hour 'døgn'. I had 6 months to write the thing, and I think I spent at least the last couple of months on this rhythm - and it suited me like a glove. I felt energetic and efficient all the way through. If I didn't have a job I would return to such a scheme ASAP just to get some more studying done.

Edited by Iversen on 02 August 2013 at 11:45pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 6 of 27
02 August 2013 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
I'm absolutely convinced that sleep deprivation is very bad for both health and
happiness, and I've noticed that the effect is possibly worse as I get older (in spite
of the supposed fact that we need less sleep as we get older).

Put another way, one can get away (at least for a while) with abusing one's own body in
many ways when young, fit and healthy, which is not to say that one should do
so.

There is also an old saying that "an hour of sleep before midnight is worth two after
midnight". I am sure there is no scientific evidence for this (and probably evidence
that it is not literally true), but nevertheless, for most people who are not having to
work shifts, I suspect that it's not a bad rule to live by.

(If I would only take my own advice...).
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 7 of 27
02 August 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Universum wrote:
The good Dr Piotr Wozniak (of SuperMemo fame) wrote an interesting article on this a
while back. You can find it here: http://www.supermemo.com/articles/sleep.htm. (Remove
any spaces from the URL).

Clickable link:

Good sleep, good learning, good life

Edited by montmorency on 02 August 2013 at 4:17pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 27
03 August 2013 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I have a feeling that there's a limit. I used up most of mine when juggling between high school, preparation for uni and learning Finnish (and also some Ukrainian).
I still LOVE all-nighters but for me this now means a lot of sleep before and/or after.

I used to think my 'døgn' cycle lasts 36 hours but then I read that artificial lights mess with that, and I suppose that's true.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version