Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4627 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 17 of 27
06 August 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm just trying to imagine how a 36 hour cycle would work in practice (and assuming
working on something intensively like a dissertation):

e.g. start off cycle with:

Bed at midnight. (0 hours)
Up at 06:00      (6 hours)

Work for 12 hours till 18:00 (with breaks for breakfast and lunch).(18 hours)

evening meal also taken inside the above 12 hour period).

Work for 12 hours till 06:00. (30 hours).
Sleep for 2 hours till 08:00 (32 hours)
Breakfast then work for 4 hours till 12:00 (36 hours). End of 1st cycle.

Within that 36 hour cycle, there were 12+12+4=28 working hours and 6+2=8 sleeping
hours. (that could easily be cut down to 7 sleeping hours if that was enough, and one
more working hour).

As we would expect, the cycle will alternately switch between starting at midnight and
starting at midday, and when starting at midnight, meal breaks can be accommodated at
something like "normal" times.

Anyway, it need not need any less sleep overall, but the advantage seems to be in
allowing for two uninterrupted long working chunks of 12 hours, which the 24 hour day
obviously doesn't, and I assume these long chunks will suit some people, e.g. Iversen.

Meal breaks haven't been properly accounted for (assumed to be only as long as needed)
and no allowance for rest (other than sleep), recreation, or exercise. But the
assumption here was for a period of necessarily intensive work.

Interesting. I could see that it might work for me personally in the short term. I
don't know about it as a permanent thing though.

(feel free to double-check my arithmetic anyone! :-) ).
1 person has voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6337 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 18 of 27
07 August 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Isn't one of the purposes of AIT to put stress on the student, which is usually in the form of sleep deprivation? At any rate, med school students, guys in high finance, etc... all restrict their sleep because it's the rules of the game. It's just how life is if you want to compete.

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4166 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 19 of 27
07 August 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
all restrict their sleep because it's the rules of the game.

I think it's rather the result of poor time management.

Restricting one's sleep is a bad idea for anyone who wants to perform well. Period.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6502 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 27
08 August 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
Extreme sleep deprivation has been used as torture and to brainwash people, but the kind of learning you can get under those circumstances has little to do with language learning or anything else that demands a clear mind.

On the other hand it is also both a waste of time and likely to make you sleepy if you stay in bed and continue to sleep even though you already have covered your basic needs ... although you may experience more vivid dreams because your brain somehow does know that you should have been awake long ago. So maybe it is a choice between lucid dreaming and becoming a polyglot.

Edited by Iversen on 08 August 2013 at 12:25pm

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4166 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 21 of 27
08 August 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

On the other hand it is also both a waste of time and likely to make you sleepy if you stay in bed and continue to sleep even though you already have covered your basic needs

I cannot relate to this. When I sleep, it's because I need to sleep. My body needs to rest. Have I slept enough, I am fully awake and feel no need to sleep anymore. Maybe it's just me, but I just couldn't continue to sleep just because I want to or I "feel like sleeping". It would be against my nature. I don't think there's a thing like "too much sleep".

Edited by Sterogyl on 08 August 2013 at 8:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4627 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 22 of 27
08 August 2013 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Sterogyl wrote:
Iversen wrote:

On the other hand it is also both a waste of time and likely to make you sleepy if you
stay in bed and continue to sleep even though you already have covered your basic needs

I cannot relate to this. When I sleep, it's because I need to sleep. My body needs to
rest. Have I slept enough, I am fully awake and feel no need to sleep anymore. Maybe
it's just me, but I just couldn't continue to sleep just because I want to or I "feel
like sleeping". It would be against my nature. I don't think there's a thing like "too
much sleep".

I think there is actually. I used to be able to "oversleep". Taken to extremes it could
cause severe headaches (and was definitely not a good thing). I do it much less now,
but still tend to waken up slowly, so there is for me a grey area between sleep and
wakefulness, in contrast to my wife, who wakes up as though a switch had been thrown
and is then perfectly wide awake.

So people do seem to differ in this respect.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4929 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 23 of 27
08 August 2013 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:

I think if you happen to live in a place with four seasons, two of which can be extreme,
that also makes a difference. In the winter, when it's very cold outside and we have
usable sunlight from 9am to 4pm, it's a lot easier to stay in bed. In the summer, on the
other hand, I'm up very early during the month or so of sunlight beginning at 5am until
8:30-9pm, and as the sun starts to rise later and later in the fall, I get up a little
later.

R.
==

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 24 of 27
11 August 2013 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Sterogyl wrote:
Iversen wrote:

On the other hand it is also both a waste of time and likely to make you sleepy if you
stay in bed and continue to sleep even though you already have covered your basic needs

I cannot relate to this. When I sleep, it's because I need to sleep. My body needs to
rest. Have I slept enough, I am fully awake and feel no need to sleep anymore. Maybe
it's just me, but I just couldn't continue to sleep just because I want to or I "feel
like sleeping". It would be against my nature. I don't think there's a thing like "too
much sleep".

I think there is actually. I used to be able to "oversleep". Taken to extremes it could
cause severe headaches (and was definitely not a good thing). I do it much less now,
but still tend to waken up slowly, so there is for me a grey area between sleep and
wakefulness, in contrast to my wife, who wakes up as though a switch had been thrown
and is then perfectly wide awake.

I heard about an interesting study 10-12 years ago about isolation. US soldiers were placed in isolation chambers without any form of entertainment or interaction with another person. For up to the first week the subjects slept half the day or more. After that point they were unable to sleep more than 8-8.5 hours a day. The conclusion was that once they had made up their sleep deficit, they were unable to sleep more than their body needed.

I heard the study reported on NPR radio (probably All Things Considered), so I don't have a source, but I may try to find a link when I have more time.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version