United Kingdom
Joined 5563 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 9 of 27
03 August 2013 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
When I wrote my final dissertation for my degree in French and
literature I dropped the idea that a day-and-night ("døgn" in Danish) has 24 hours. But
instead of doing allnighters - which I see as deeply detrimental both to your mental
and your physical health - I went to a system with one long sleep each 36 hours hour
PLUS a good solid nap around midway between those long sleeping periods. Or in other
words: it was a compromise between a 36 hour 'døgn' and a 18 hour 'døgn'. I had 6
months to write the thing, and I think I spent at least the last couple of months on
this rhythm - and it suited me like a glove. I felt energetic and efficient all the way
through. If I didn't have a job I would return to such a scheme ASAP just to get some
more studying done.

I'd be interested to hear a bit more about this system, as someone who (due to an
erratic work schedule) alternates nights of minimal sleep with marathon lie-ins
(although without any perceptible increase in productivity!) What would a typical
week's sleep/wake schedule look like? Did you always get up at the same time? And how
long is a "good solid nap"?
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 27
04 August 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Dark_Sunshine wrote:
Iversen wrote:
When I wrote my final dissertation for my
degree in French and
literature I dropped the idea that a day-and-night ("døgn" in Danish) has 24 hours. But
instead of doing allnighters - which I see as deeply detrimental both to your mental
and your physical health - I went to a system with one long sleep each 36 hours hour
PLUS a good solid nap around midway between those long sleeping periods. Or in other
words: it was a compromise between a 36 hour 'døgn' and a 18 hour 'døgn'. I had 6
months to write the thing, and I think I spent at least the last couple of months on
this rhythm - and it suited me like a glove. I felt energetic and efficient all the way
through. If I didn't have a job I would return to such a scheme ASAP just to get some
more studying done.

I'd be interested to hear a bit more about this system, as someone who (due to an
(although without any perceptible increase in productivity!) What would a typical
week's sleep/wake schedule look like? Did you always get up at the same time? And how

I'd definitely recommend reading the Wozniak article if you haven't already done so.

There is a heck of a lot of detail in there, but his basic principles seem to be:

1. The ideal sleep pattern would probably be to "sleep like a [traditional] farmer",
probably rising fairly early, in bed fairly early, lots of physical exercise during the
day.

2. But no.1 is not realistic in the modern world (we have and use electric light, for
example). Use of electric light to artificially prolong the day isn't necessarily a bad
thing, but should be used wisely. His ideal mode of sleep for people in the real world
he would call free-running sleep. This basically means to go to sleep when you feel
tired and allow yourself to wake up naturally.

3. Don't use an alarm clock. He's very firm about that. A healthy person who gets
enough sleep should awaken naturally, and being awoken unnaturally is quite harmful.

4. The average human sleep cycle is greater than 24 hours, about 25 to 25.5 hours. This
obviously means that we can easily get out of phase between our natural cycle and our
work/school/etc schedule. However, there are some techniques one can use to try to get
back in sync.

5. Most people (he would argue) are "bi-phasic", i.e. they sleep in two phases over the
24-25-5 hour cycle: A (normal) long-night sleep, and a much shorter "siesta", ideally
timed to start around 7-8 hours after normal wakening time from the long sleep. This
should also be natural, and not controlled by alarm clocks, etc. It could be typically
20 minutes to 2 hours, but it all depends on the individual.

My guess is that Iversen in the period he describes had naturally developed his own bi-
phasic system that suited him.

The difficulty with napping at work would be finding somewhere where you can guarantee
not to be disturbed, and also be comfortable. And if you follow the no-alarm-clock
rule, there would be the danger of oversleeping, missing meetings, etc.

I used to have a boss who seemed to take a short (maybe 15-20 minutes) nap at his desk
around lunchtime. He'd just sit in his office chair with his legs stretched out on the
desk. It didn't look very comfortable, but seemed to work for him.

I used to be able to nap for 5 minutes or so in my office chair, sitting normally, and
it was reasonably refreshing, but I doubt if it fitted properly in with Wozniak's
guidelines. (It would not have been enough to properly make up for sleep deficit, I
don't think).

Anyway, I'd definitely suggest people read at least some of that article (it's quite
long).

4 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4466 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 11 of 27
04 August 2013 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
All studies of sleep deprivation are based on ''experiments'' in people
who were staying wake just for the purpose of the ''experiment''.
They were not people studying for exams in medical school and stuff like that.
It's pretty easy to stay awake for 5 days/nights doing virtually nothing (listening to music, relaxing).
(Trying to) stay awake for 5 days/nights while studying extensively is something completely different.
Not only it puts a lot of stress on the person staying awake, but also compromises the learning process, so in the end, you don't learn/memorize more in 5*24 hours without sleep compared to 5 normal days (with minimal 5 hour sleep each night).

In theory, only 2 hours a day are needed for normal sleep,
(Dimaxion and Überman sleeping maximize the effectiveness of sleep by prioritizing NREM sleep over REM sleep), but make sure you take fast acting melatonin supplement in each cycle. (*)

Dymaxion      2.0 h      8.33%        Four 30-minute naps (every 6 hours).
Überman       2.0 h      8.33%        Six 20-minute naps (every 4 hours).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep#Comparison_of _sleep_patterns

* because our pineal gland does not release melatonin during the day (even if you put yourself in a dark room), lack of melatonin is linked to immunodeficiency and cancer.

Sleep deprivation is tricky because it can induce psychosis and psychotic phenomena (like out-of-body experience) in previously healthy people.

Edited by Medulin on 04 August 2013 at 3:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 12 of 27
04 August 2013 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Wow, Teango, that thread brought out the crazy! Although I stopped when I hit
this part:

YES these psychic phenomena have been accounted many times and aren't really
miraculous in anyway , They've been researched & even mastered by the US Government .
The quantum holographic theory of the universe and the principles of Resonance & Non-
locality pretty much explains how all of these phenomena occur , Glossolalia or
Xenoglossia are also possible through the scientific theories of the Morphogenetic
Universe that relates to collective memory and how any species have access to it all
the time

- 'cause the thread could only have gone downhill after that.

In terms of real world sleep deprivation, I find it usually slows my learning process
down significantly, especially with a new language. I even find that I have a harder
time studying later in the evening - I just can't do the drills, or work my head around
new grammar, or study vocabulary.    I still do ok with reading, but it gets harder to
actually learn anything new.

When I write it's the opposite - I write much, much better papers when I'm up real late
and jacked up on lots of coffee.

For the OP, my guess is that you might do better to get a full night's sleep and eat
right; in the long run I'd think you'd surpass those pulling manic all nighters.

Also, lucky dog! Let us know how DLI goes, and what techniques they use. Have you been
assigned a language yet?

Edited by kanewai on 04 August 2013 at 9:29pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5564 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 27
05 August 2013 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
Oh, wow. When I stay awake longer than my body expects me to - which is, it wants me to get 7-9 hours of sleep during a 22-26 hour period - I simply become very unproductive. Of course I can do brainless activities, even work as long as I don't actually need to think about what I am about to do, and I can take in new information as long as it's laid out in neat little packages for me - but my planning and metacognitive skills tend to be shut down on sleep deprivation. And I don't even care about it, because my mood skyrockets ...

Edited by Bao on 05 August 2013 at 3:52am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 14 of 27
05 August 2013 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
I used to regularly "pull an all nighter" at work, and be secretly proud of my "ability"
to do so. On very rare occasions it was genuinely necessary, but more often, I just did
it because I wanted to. I enjoyed the fake "high" that you sometimes get in these
situations.

Then one day, I found I couldn't remember my main login password, and other vital
information I needed to do my job. Quite a shock. (As well as feeling like death warmed
up). It came back after some sleep, but that was a real warning.

3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 15 of 27
05 August 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:

This subject reminds me of Abazid's controversial
brainwashing experiment
posted here on the Forum back in 2011, where he set out to learn Russian using just Michel Thomas and Pimsleur and tried to forego any sleep.
I recall he made it all the way to 25 hours before crashing from sheer exhaustion, and it was estimated that he may have reached a passive A2
level after 3 days (although we haven't heard from him since as to how much he retained in the days that followed the experiment...perhaps
he's still sleeping it off).

Thanks for reminding me of that thread. Without wishing to revive the slings and arrows of that outrageously interesting set of exchanges, it
would be interesting to see an experiment based on a more reasonable sleep pattern, still reasonably intense, but with good attention paid to
healthy diet and at least moderate exercise, as well as some interaction with real people.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 27
06 August 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Dark_Sunshine wrote:
Iversen wrote:
When I wrote my final dissertation for my degree in French and
literature I dropped the idea that a day-and-night ("døgn" in Danish) has 24 hours. But instead of doing allnighters - which I see as deeply detrimental both to your mental and your physical health - I went to a system with one long sleep each 36 hours hour PLUS a good solid nap around midway between those long sleeping periods. Or in other words: it was a compromise between a 36 hour 'døgn' and a 18 hour 'døgn'. I had 6 months to write the thing, and I think I spent at least the last couple of months on this rhythm - and it suited me like a glove. I felt energetic and efficient all the way through. If I didn't have a job I would return to such a scheme ASAP just to get some more studying done.

Well, it was a pattern I introduced in 1981 and used for several months without any kind of problems. I wrote a dissertation about correlative constructions in French, and somehow this project turned into a complete theory about subordinate clauses with or without finite verbs. And somewhere midways through the writing process I got the absolutely raving mad idea that I would take 10.000 pages and categorize and count ALL relevant constructions on those pages so that you would be able to see a frequency for each and every syntactical construction in French involving subordinates with conjunctions. And remember, this was in 1981 where I didn't have a computer yet so it was done by hand. I got my exam, and the results were put on the shelf never to be used again. But in the period where I made that monumental survey it was pretty clear that I needed to worked a little bit harder than normally possible, and then I slipped into the 36 hour cycle almost by accident - and discovered that it functioned perfectly well.

It is well known from cave experiments that the 24 hour cycle isn't programmed into us as a 24 hour cycle - typically people have slighter longer cycles which are constantly adjusted downwards based on things like sunrise and working hours and TV schedules. And the result is that lots of os are 'owls' (Danish: B-mennesker) who tend to work late and wake up late if left to our own devices. But we aren't because of the evil 'larks' (A-mennesker) whose circadian rhythms fit the astronomical clock and who have organised society in a way that is deeply unnatural for us 'owls'. I don't really know much about the reactions of people with circadian rhythms of less than 24 hours, but maybe it is easier to extend one's internal day-and-night than it is to shorten it - maybe somebody know about research concerning that problem?

Nevertheless, for me a 36 hour cycle with a nap of an hour or two worked fine, while others might prefer 28 or 32 hours. For those with shorter circadian cycles an 18 hour cycle with equally long naps and 'night sleeps' would obviously be better than the normal rhythm based on 24 hours.

The only thing that can explain the tyranny of the 24 hour clock is of course the behaviour of the sun. But in the age of electricity this is basically irrelevant, and as I see it it is just inertia and stupidity and fixed working schedules that tie us all to a 24 hour rhythm. Well, and maybe the layout of our watches. Btw. I don't even own an alarm clock, and still I manage to wake up roughly around 5 or 6 o'clock each morning - and then again at 8 o'clock. But I would definitely be more comfortable AND more stable with a longer cycle, and I could also be more productive with such a scheme.

Edited by Iversen on 06 August 2013 at 2:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version