Is number of speakers important?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
75 messages over 10 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 9 10 Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4101 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 17 of 75
08 August 2013 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
True, I would extend it to all of Scandinavia as well. Several years ago I went on
holiday to Norway, and spent several months to achieve at least A1 in Norwegian,
regardless that I speak English. Sometimes people switched to English, but I had enough
opportunities to try my Norwegian back then.

I have some books I bought from the NT2 to try to get to B2, and the effort required does
not seem so difficult as I thought previously. Probably similar to Norway or Sweden. But
I meant that these countries have probably the highest fluency of English for non-native
speakers. Even if one did not want to sit the exam, it would be nice to communicate with
them in their language instead of English. Their high level means that to avoid language
switching, there is more incentive to obtain a high level.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 75
08 August 2013 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Garyb, that made me laugh. Italian with only 80 million people being useless :-D
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 19 of 75
08 August 2013 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
But if you study a language which is firmly established as an official tongue and is spoken all over a country,
does it really matter if there are 10 million native speakers or 100 million?

Not for me at all.

I find frequent reference to the size of the speech community to be quite tiresome (especially from some less experienced learners). It's like a puerile đï¢ķ-swinging contest where the worthiness of what one studies is proportional to the number of people who by biological and geographical accident became part of the community of native speakers.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 75
08 August 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
True. But I find most of the common "this language is useless" prejudices flawed. As long as the language isn't among the endangered ones or the ones whose speakers are all bilingual (catalan, welsh and so on which are studied only for love, obsession, just because and other such reasons we cherish on this forum), there is always a number of speakers, an amount of interesting culture or travel opportunities and as well job opportunities. Either you need to find them or sometimes they unexpectedly find you. So, why do people consider it so wrong if you choose your third or fourth language to be something other than the usual German/French/Spanish/Russian?

The funny thing is that the size is among the most mentioned reasons for uselessness no matter what nationality is the person speaking it seems. In the Czech Republic, people often cannot imagine why would you learn another useless small language when you have already got Czech. In the USA, people consider 10 millions people to be a dying community.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 21 of 75
09 August 2013 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
If I like what I am studying I will learn it.
No matter how many people speak the language.
4 persons have voted this message useful

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6171 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 22 of 75
09 August 2013 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
People that consider 10 million speakers a small number are off their rocker. If you meet 5 new people every
day from you're 15 until you're 80 you will still not cram in more than 118 625 people in total.

For me there has to be a lot of interesting content and/or a social context to speak the language where you
live. Social context probably comes first

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5771 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 23 of 75
09 August 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
anime wrote:
People that consider 10 million speakers a small number are off their
rocker. If you meet 5 new people every
day from you're 15 until you're 80 you will still not cram in more than 118 625 people in
total.

You're missing the point. Number of speakers is just a proxy for other things like amount
of media and cultural output, chance of meeting a speaker in a big city, etc.. If I'm in
a city like Boston and want to meet and perhaps befriend a Swedish speaker, I have to
really go out of my way. And the few people I do meet might not have personalities or
life situations that match mine, so a friendship would be rather forced. Now consider
Mandarin speakers in Boston. There are thousands of them. In fact most people probably
know a Mandarin speaker without having made any effort to meet one.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 24 of 75
09 August 2013 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
See the thread "Why care about the number of speakers" for similar discussion.

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version